will Washington state issue temporary plate - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2017, 08:52 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Yes, the insurance thing was odd. USAA covered us towing in this situation on our pickup trip.
If you're not comfortable towing with the paperwork in order like most all of us have done, then sit tight at the KOA in Lynden or some such. If ur DMV is willing to do it by phone/mail and no inspection then it will work out. By the time you get the plates you'll have the trailer completely checked out and off you go.
I don't think the WA paper tags are a solution.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:01 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
All my insurance company requires is the trailer make, model, value and VIN number, and then of course payment.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:11 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
All my insurance company requires is the trailer make, model, value and VIN number, and then of course payment.
I think that is pretty universal, is it not? I know with driven vehicles here, you need proof of insurance before they will register.

With trailers here though, no insurance is required. We just paid $22 to transfer our permanent trailer plate to our new trailer, complete with getting a new plate too. About the only thing cheaper in Canada though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:14 PM   #44

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
The other thing that an insurance company wants to know is where the vehicle is garaged. If you garage it in a state other than your home state, or legal residence, they likely want to insure it there. And the registration needs to agree with the insurance on where it is.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:33 PM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Great strategy for those not going to be home before 30 days- keep switching insurance companies. I too just switched from Auto Club to Everest National and final tally was $200 vs. $240(AAA). More for less, how does that work?

On the registration thing- it comes around repeatedly but the word is Chill! You can't stop these states and their stupid DMV rules. If your are a compulsive type then stock up on Tums or worse abbreviate your trip in order to comply with the rules. Otherwise Be Happy, Dont Worry
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:48 PM   #46

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So, a legal registration requires you paying the 6% sales tax and inspection fee to Washington State and then what, apply for a refund in your home state? . Seems like a lot of hoops for a 6 hour drive through. Register Off-Road Vehicles & RVs in Washington | DMV.org
Just to clarify - the temporary 3 day permit in Washington state does not involve having an inspection or paying sales tax. You just pay your $30 and when you write the date on it is valid for 3 days. The sales tax (ouch!) is paid when you get your plates/title.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:05 AM   #47

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Insurance
I think I lot of you are confusing your trailer insurance with liability insurance.

Liability insurance is covered with the tow vehicle . Not the trailer policy ..
My auto insurance is safe co and I called and confirmed it only cover trailers if there registered. (other policys in other states my vary)

I would also purchase a nation general policy ( witch is optional) This would cover the camper and campsite liability or any time the trailer is not on the ball.But as long as the hooked to the ball it liability would go on tow vehicle policy . That's why states do not require the trailers have insurance

also I purchased a national general policy last week on my casita over the phone. One of the thing they had me agree to is the trailer would be registered all year. Maybe this is only for new York policy's i don't know.

I was thinking there be a easy way to solve this but looks like a big pain in the butt.

I am surprised the number of people that Just pick them up and drive home with no plates , breaking laws in every state they drive threw .

I going to call the Washington DMV But i would assume there 3 day tag would be good in other states,But if its not it would be useless

To my knowledge there is no state that requires a insurance policy on the trailer, But all 50 require A current registration

I just trying to figure out a legal way to do it so i can enjoy my vacation
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:35 AM   #48

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Ask Safeco if it covers new trailers being towed on the way home to get registration. Most companies cover 30 days automatically. I once bought a car in Georgia and drove it home (Ebay purchase) and contacted my insurance once I was in state. They told me I was covered for any additional vehicles automatically.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:46 AM   #49

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I've been told the same from my insurance company as Jim reports. As far as everything related to liability insurance, on my policy that is all assigned to the tow. The only thing specific to the trailer are damages to it due to collision and comprehensive.

I think if one finds themselves completely obsessed with worry about the trip home, that the delivery charges may be well worth the cost.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:03 AM   #50

But, do you insure the trailer FOB Chilliwack or your home location?? Another issue to worry about. I always had mine insured the date of completion, if it's covered by Dave while in transit, then duplicated coverage, but 2 are better than -0-.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:15 AM   #51

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
But, do you insure the trailer FOB Chilliwack or your home location?? Another issue to worry about. I always had mine insured the date of completion, if it's covered by Dave while in transit, then duplicated coverage, but 2 are better than -0-.
Good point Jim.
George and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:22 AM   #52

Welcome George and Linda, to our little world. Why not post here and tell us why you want an Escape.....New Member Introductions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Old 02-01-2017, 11:01 PM   #53

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Well, Cal DMV agent just spouted the pretty demanding California rules: VIN's got to be inspected inside the state before they'll issue /Cal tags.

But I talked with Tammy about it, and she was really reassuring, basically that she's heard of no ETI customer having trouble with the troopers while they're taking their trailer home, even if the return is somewhat circuitous. Showing the troopers the trailer's papers has done the trick.

First, as we're taking the trailer import over the border in Lynden, Washington and then planning to stay at the KOA one night for a shakedown, she suggested just going to the nearby WA DMV and getting temporary tags. They'll serve just fine when we drive back into BC to tour around for a week. Then we just come back over into the States and head on home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:55 PM   #54

Trailer: 2017 19
Utah

Utah requires proof of ownership and certificate of inspection before registration. Since I am picking up my trailer in Sumas, spending the first night in Lynden, then heading back over to Osoyoos for two days, I am thinking two temporary Washington tags might be helpful. Any thoughts on the matter?
https://daysofnights.org
johnwarrensimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:58 PM   #55

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
I'm planning to buy three tags (9 days). ��
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:17 PM   #56

Those of you with existing trailers should just keep the old one when sold and use it on the new Escape until you get home and transfer the tag.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:48 PM   #57

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwarrensimpson View Post
Utah requires proof of ownership and certificate of inspection before registration. Since I am picking up my trailer in Sumas, spending the first night in Lynden, then heading back over to Osoyoos for two days, I am thinking two temporary Washington tags might be helpful. Any thoughts on the matter?
I'm in the "better to show something" camp. I've gotten WA temporary permits even on a wrecked car that didn't have a vin plate. Towing without anything just seems like not the thing to do. But everyone seems to have their own comfort level on that.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:28 PM   #58

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Before registering may not mean before temporary tag.

I just needed a VIN number to get a SC temporary tag. It was technically only good in SC, but I took it with me to NJ, bought a motorcycle, and rode it home. I did not want to go through several states without any tag on the back.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:41 AM   #59

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjp View Post
Well, Cal DMV agent just spouted the pretty demanding California rules: VIN's got to be inspected inside the state before they'll issue /Cal tags.

But I talked with Tammy about it, and she was really reassuring, basically that she's heard of no ETI customer having trouble with the troopers while they're taking their trailer home, even if the return is somewhat circuitous. Showing the troopers the trailer's papers has done the trick.

First, as we're taking the trailer import over the border in Lynden, Washington and then planning to stay at the KOA one night for a shakedown, she suggested just going to the nearby WA DMV and getting temporary tags. They'll serve just fine when we drive back into BC to tour around for a week. Then we just come back over into the States and head on home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did you ask the Cal DMV agent if you need any temporary licensing while bringing the trailer to get inspected? Curious to find out what the official answer is to this question, this problem is prevalent in many states. Of course the answer could be different for each state, perhaps also depends on the agent you are talking to.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:15 AM   #60

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post
Did you ask the Cal DMV agent if you need any temporary licensing while bringing the trailer to get inspected? Curious to find out what the official answer is to this question, this problem is prevalent in many states. Of course the answer could be different for each state, perhaps also depends on the agent you are talking to.
Calif. DMV will (and can only) give you the answer from the CA regs.: within 20 days of the vehicle's entry into California, you must register.
We were informally advised that prior to entry, we had a bill of sale from ETI, and export documents stamped by U.S. Customs at the port of entry (Sumas), that established that the trailer was legally in the U.S. and that we are the legal owners.
So, the OP's question should discovered from Canadian sources: Is that documentation (ownership & export approval docs.) sufficient to enter Canada for a period of time?

We camped and traveled in WA and OR for 2˝ weeks prior to returning to CA, with no license plate on the trailer, only the stack of paperwork given to us when we received the trailer in Sumas.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote