will Washington state issue temporary plate - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2017, 12:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
will Washington state issue temporary plate

will Washington state issue temporary plate ?

My home state of new York will not issue plates until the camper is imported in the U.S .

So the way i understand this i will take possession of the trailer in somus Washington. I have a trailer with no plates but I will have all paperwork to register. ETI will provide most that paper work ahead of time ,but with out the custom stamp new York will not register

so looks like i only have a few choices
1. drive it home with no registration and take a change of getting stopped and them impounding the trailer.
2. trying to get Washington temporary plate
3. find a camp ground and park for a week and send paperwork back home and register and have plates mailed back to me.

Anyone else have to jump threw these hoops
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:37 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm not aware of anyone here on the forum that had their trailer impounded, which should only occur in your home state. There have been those stopped, showed their paper work and went on their way. You can get a 3 day pass from Bellingham, DMV if you want but as others have done, even those from New York, just drive it home. Make sure you have insurance, that is important.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm not aware of anyone here on the forum that had their trailer impounded, which should only occur in your home state. There have been those stopped, showed their paper work and went on their way. You can get a 3 day pass from Bellingham, DMV if you want but as others have done, even those from New York, just drive it home. Make sure you have insurance, that is important.

There many states that have impound laws on unregistered trailer. I plan on making a vacation out of it ,spending some time out west and enjoying, I could not even make it home on 3 day pass. I cant enjoy myself if I worried about it. I am surprised eti doesn't have a storage faculty on the US border, that way they could export the trailer after it was paid in full and owners could register before they picked it up. I got a nephew in Idaho, Maybe I have to check into cost to deliver it there. Just seems like a lot of hoops to go threw . Casita you give a $5 fee and you have a 30 day plate.
Maybe Eti cant do that for some legal reason, But i would think there be a better set up than this. I know some our just towing home with no tags,But i don't think they really understand what could happen. god forbid you have unforeseen accident
Old 01-29-2017, 01:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Hi. Have any of you registered your escape in California and could relate to me the process? DMV site is fairly cryptic. We want to pick it up, go on a trip in Canada and then back over Montana,Wyoming, Nevada and California. No way we can drive an unregistered trailer for three weeks in the States.

Any guidance about California DMV would be much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:32 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Well if they impound my trailer on the way home to Wisconsin (where they won't give me plates until after imported and back in the state) I hope that they let us sleep in it....

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 02:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
will Washington state issue temporary plate ?

My home state of new York will not issue plates until the camper is imported in the U.S .

So the way i understand this i will take possession of the trailer in somus Washington. I have a trailer with no plates but I will have all paperwork to register. ETI will provide most that paper work ahead of time ,but with out the custom stamp new York will not register

so looks like i only have a few choices
1. drive it home with no registration and take a change of getting stopped and them impounding the trailer.
2. trying to get Washington temporary plate
3. find a camp ground and park for a week and send paperwork back home and register and have plates mailed back to me.

Anyone else have to jump threw these hoops
When I asked my local DMV how to register the trailer, they told me to mail the import info to them, they would mail back the registration & sales tax amount, I would mail a check to them & they would mail me the plate. I pointed out that that might take longer than I wanted to stay in one place, and they shrugged.

I tried again a few weeks later:

Ask Tammy to mail you an unsigned import form & take it to a couple of different, preferably small town DMVs until you find one that will accept it.

I picked up the plate for my 17 in 2011 at our local DMV using the unsigned form. The only problem I had was the trying to convert the weight to pounds since NY bases the registration fee on weight.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:07 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
When I bought my Campster I got a temp permit to drive it in Washington- if I recall it was only good for Washington. Skipped one for Oregon. Got one in California when my plates got held up- they gave me a 60 day permit. (3x... it took that long to get registered!) Anyway, nobody ever stopped me, but I did have an expired Washington plate on the trailer. California on the car. In 9 months nobody stopped me. Not that I'm recommending it, but I think if you have the info from your state saying you have to bring it in to get it registered, and the paperwork from importing, you'd be okay if stopped.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
When I asked my local DMV how to register the trailer, they told me to mail the import info to them, they would mail back the registration & sales tax amount, I would mail a check to them & they would mail me the plate. I pointed out that that might take longer than I wanted to stay in one place, and they shrugged.

I tried again a few weeks later:

Ask Tammy to mail you an unsigned import form & take it to a couple of different, preferably small town DMVs until you find one that will accept it.

I picked up the plate for my 17 in 2011 at our local DMV using the unsigned form. The only problem I had was the trying to convert the weight to pounds since NY bases the registration fee on weight.
That would be worth a try. I guess if you hit a few DMV offices you would find someone that does not know what there doing. Nothing to lose with this approach except time.
other than that the mail would be the other option , my wife has friends at dmv office that would mail them back. hmmm.

Is that your plan on the 21? maybe we see how you make out
Old 01-29-2017, 03:20 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
You might try to get your DMV to take faxes of the paperwork, which would save a lot of time, although they may insist on originals. You might see a person or two in your home DMV before leaving with the process set up with them in advance.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:39 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 19' Escape "Cattyshack"
North Carolina will not let you register a trailer imported from Canada until an inspector physically looks at the VIN number on the trailer either at a local office or they come to you to check. So I'm stuck with the WA pass method. We're picking ours up on 3/17. I called the vehicle licensing office in Lynden (8130 Guide Meridian, 360-354-8080) and they will issue a 3 day permit. You can buy several. We play to buy 3 to give us 9 days to get home and mess around a bit. I'm not anxious to be stopped without some kind of registration. With the new administration no telling if future higher import taxes or regulations will hinder future buyers. Let's hope not (I'm not trying to be political).
NCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:18 PM   #11

Trailer: None now
Hmm, now I am beginning to wonder if Florida will be a problem. I remember 10 years ago when I bought a cheap trailer from Northern Tool I had to take it to the local courthouse to have someone verify the number stamped on the frame. I know others from Florida have already done this so how bad was it? Were you able to get a tag or at least a temporary one?
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:22 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I do not think you are registering the trailer in Washington, it is just a travel permit and costs like $30, you fill in the date blanks. Not sure if it would work in any other state nor if it is valid outside of Washington. Pennsylvania requires an vin inspection, so no plates until it is physically within the state, no issue yet with 8 trailers bought out of state.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:40 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
I recently returned from Chilliwack with our trailer. I was told by the clerk at the DMV before I left that temporary plates were not needed - if asked, just show them the bill of sale. I went through Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas past MANY troupers handing out tickets and was never asked about the plates.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:03 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 19' Escape "Cattyshack"
Good to know. I'll use the $90 to buy wine and beer for the trip back!
NCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCopp View Post
North Carolina will not let you register a trailer imported from Canada until an inspector physically looks at the VIN number on the trailer either at a local office or they come to you to check. So I'm stuck with the WA pass method. We're picking ours up on 3/17. I called the vehicle licensing office in Lynden (8130 Guide Meridian, 360-354-8080) and they will issue a 3 day permit. You can buy several. We play to buy 3 to give us 9 days to get home and mess around a bit. I'm not anxious to be stopped without some kind of registration. With the new administration no telling if future higher import taxes or regulations will hinder future buyers. Let's hope not (I'm not trying to be political).

Thats good info I did not realize you could buy more than one.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:11 AM   #16

Trailer: soon to be '18 Escape 21, '18 F150 XLT 2.7 tow
For what its worth; I was chasing a trailer in Newfoundland last year. The folks up north would issue a temp plate if I had proof of insurance and a registration signed over to me. NYS wouldn't issue a plate until I had brought it into the state.

I bought our trailer in Colorado instead and they issued a 30 day temp plate for little more than $6. Drove it home, no problem.

Marv
Stkshftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:28 AM   #17

I have been digging around and found this discussion with link below. It's about six years old but I don't see that the info contained (and some of the confusion as well!) could've changed all that much. You might find it useful. It looks like I'm gonna have to go back repeatedly to the Cal DMV until I find somebody to tell me something that fits by bill and then document that!

Import from Canada to the US ... - Fiberglass RV
Old 01-30-2017, 09:40 AM   #18
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I recently returned from Chilliwack with our trailer. I was told by the clerk at the DMV before I left that temporary plates were not needed - if asked, just show them the bill of sale. I went through Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas past MANY troupers handing out tickets and was never asked about the plates.
Same hear, no temp plates just paper work from escape. Stopped at lake Shasta Ca. DMV gave them the paper work and large check, 20 minutes later walked out with new plates and Lic/registration. Just be aware it a small DMV in a strip mall, parking is not the best but by 1:00 pm they had serviced a whopping 20 customers and the lady said it was a busy day.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:57 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinKnocker View Post
Same hear, no temp plates just paper work from escape. Stopped at lake Shasta Ca. DMV gave them the paper work and large check, 20 minutes later walked out with new plates and Lic/registration. Just be aware it a small DMV in a strip mall, parking is not the best but by 1:00 pm they had serviced a whopping 20 customers and the lady said it was a busy day.
Mt Shasta is indeed a fantastic place to CA register an Escape. We did. Great success. The senior person there is amazing, and i think her co-worker would be too.

You can make an appointment in advance, but the way the 2 person office works.... maybe don't bother.

(the L. A. DMV offices are insanely busy and they dont know anything about travel trailers, and I have had numerous bad experiences with L.A. DMV offices)
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:45 AM   #20

Totally great recommendation, about Shasta. I was literally considering to get the escape, do a dry run camp one night near the border to make sure things are hunky dory, then make a dash down to shasta to 'get legal' before going all the way back to BC to continue our trip. But I may chance it with the bill
of sale alone.