Wisconsin Escape Buyers - License and Title FYI - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Wisconsin Escape Buyers - License and Title FYI

(I thought I would post this as an FYI for any other Badger/Cheeseheads who buy a new Escape.) I went in to the local DMV office to get the license and title for our Escape 17B that we are picking up on the 21st of this month. I expected to walk out with the plate and registration as I always have in the past. But, a new DMV policy is that any foreign made vehicle new title and plate application has to be sent to the DMV headquarters in Madison by the local office. They said it will take at least 2 weeks to get the license and title now with this procedure. The service person made copies of all the paperwork for me and said that it should be no problem since I have paid all the fees, etc.

Since we are leaving for BC in less than 2 weeks, I should have gone in as soon as the ever efficient Tammy sent me the paperwork, but I was assuming it would be like all other new vehicle registrations I have done. I hope it all goes ok.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17 B
Re: Wisconsin Escape Buyers - License and Title FYI

Hi Eric,

Good to know that this is a new law for DMV. They are not very open about that. Their clerks who are dealing with the "customers" here in Madison seemingly don't know anything about this. I just went Wednesday to the DMV in Madison, and everybody there was flabbergasted about how to figure out taxes. That dude who was my clerk was asking everywhere. I was going in like you, assuming it would be as easy as registering a car and walking out with the plate. Instead they took the original certificate of origin, a copy of the Bill of Sale and my DMV application and gave it to the research unit department upstairs. Yes, two weeks at least I have to wait first for a bill telling me how much sales tax to pay... At DMV they recommended me to go to a car dealership to get a temporary tag. I went to where I got my car, and of course they just give temp tags to customers with new cars... DMV folks are really not very well informed I have the feeling. Hehe! A colleague of mine is married with a state trooper. I explained this situation to her, and she mentioned that I should be fine because I have the original bill of sale, insurance and the customs paperwork with me.

Gerda
Old 05-06-2010, 09:12 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014

I guess I beat you both to the punch and got my tags before the new regulations took effect or before the word got spread to the hinterland where I live in Wisconsin.

I just went in Monday and the clerk dutifully called Madison to find out what to do. The issue is calculating what you paid in US dollars as the bill of sale is in Canadian. Eric, for you with multiple payments that must have been fun. I had a check and a wire transfer. No records to speak of on the wire, plus the wire included delivery charges which I contend are not taxable. I knew it was going to be a big deal.

What saved my butt was the counter person. She took the problem over and used the exchange rate that was in effect when I made the down payment and said here is what you owe. I have to give her credit she solved the problem. Was it right? Probably not but at least we didn't have to take someone's time in the "research department" to get the tax to within 20 cents.

When it comes to sales taxes in Wisconsin they are aholes. The best story I heard was the Department of Revenue going after Midwest Express Airlines to get them to pay sales tax on drinks that were served while the plane was flying over Wisconsin. Needless to say it was thrown out in tax court.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: All... I thought we had it bad here in Ontario Canada. I can't wait till they start to ply our 15% Harmonized Taxes!!!
Fed+Provincial= 2 part har...money$$$ LOL Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:01 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Gerda - I think that we will be fine with the paperwork we have as your friend told you. Also, since our 17's weigh less than 3000# we aren't even legally required to put license plates on them. The counter guy I worked with me did all he could to help me . I took in my receipts for my payments and he taxed me based on what I had actually paid. BUT he said that they would check over his stuff in Madison and maybe change things. It's not much fun going in and writing that $1400+ check for the license, title and taxes, but on the other hand I try to look at taxes as the dues we pay to live in a well functioning society, so I guess I just paid some of my dues!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #6

Hi:Wisc. Escapees...and all travelling to The Soo. for pickup...have a safe trip and good camping 8) . Alf
Old 05-07-2010, 08:36 AM   #7

Our Escape Debutante Ball is delayed by one day. I think Paul and Bob are still meeting in SSM tonight, staying in a hotel, but I decided to save the precious vacation day. Now I will be driving up tonight. I cannot wait, meeting with the guys and getting around to play with our Escapes! Eric, I get the impression every DMV is doing something else . I only paid registration/title/plate fee, but no taxes yet. Weird... But yes, we will be fine without plates. And on top, I have insurance with me already for Cafe Egg.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:46 AM   #8

And to think, last year at this time there wasn't a single Escape 17 anywhere in WI for me to view! At this rate we can soon we can have our own WI Escape convention!

Old 05-07-2010, 09:53 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist
Hi: All... I thought we had it bad here in Ontario Canada. I can't wait till they start to ply our 15% Harmonized Taxes!!!
Fed+Provincial= 2 part har...money$$$ LOL Alf
15%.....why so high?
Man, I am loving Alberta more then ever, and glad we only pay the 5% taxes. Still, I think that is too much.

It sure sounds like quite the runaround at the Wisconsin DMV. I am sure it will all work out though, and you guys will be happy campers.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:33 AM   #10

Trailer: '09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"

We had a similar experience with the TX DMV. We called 4 different people with the DMV beforehand and got 4 different answers to our questions regarding the registration process, paperwork & costs. It was quite frustrating that nobody was a "go to" person who could definitively provide reliable guidance.

Ultimately, we were able to get 30 day temp plates before our trip to pick up the trailer. Upon return to TX with Grasshopper, we had to take it to a designated Austin Police Officer who visually verified the VIN & a couple of other things and then completed a form that we had to take with us to the DMV along with the paper work Tammy provided. The DMV charged us registration fees as well as sales tax. They weren't sure how to do the tax so we proposed using the price paid on the bill of sale and the exchange rate from the date of payment. Fortunately they said it made sense and went with it so we finally got our permanent plates. Sure would've been easy if the DMV just had somebody who could make a decision.

'09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
'14 MB GL350 BlueTEC; '99 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
Texscapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:27 AM   #11

Now that we are home, I fully expected to find the title and license at the Post Office when we picked up our mail -- nope, nothing. So now it has been more than 4 weeks since I was in the DMV office. I emailed them to see what is happening.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #12

Let me give you guys an update on my DMV experience after they send me home without plate with the excuse they would'nd know how to calculate from Canadian into US Dollar for tax purposes. They kept my application, I paid back then only the title and plate/application fees. My application went to the "research" department for a few weeks.

Few weeks later I got a letter from DMV saying that I should calculate the tax due, fill out the form and send it back. They left the how to convert Canadian into US dollars now to me, hehe. I took a favorable exchange rate, and they accepted. Less than 2 weeks after sending off that letter and check I got title and license.

Just for the records, when crossing the border back into US the border personnel almost assumed that Cafe Egg was not registered yet. They were just very helpful and telling me: "Let me stamp and sign all the paperwork for you, so you can register your trailer back home!".
Old 06-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #13

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharms
Just for the records, when crossing the border back into US the border personnel almost assumed that Cafe Egg was not registered yet. They were just very helpful and telling me: "Let me stamp and sign all the paperwork for you, so you can register your trailer back home!".
Of course they only do that for attractive young ladies! Old, stogie types (men), they put through the paces : - )
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #14

Ok, today it all got weirder. I got an email reply to my email from the DMV - stating that they have no record of my paperwork - (even though they have cashed my $1400+ check for the tax and fees.) They said to send a copy of the check. So I called the phone number that was included in the email and the guy I talked to said that the reason I had not heard anything is that they are 8 weeks behind in processing due to all the layoffs from state budget cuts. He said the paperwork was probably sitting in the pile that they were working thru. But then after I hung up it hit me - how could the check get cashed if they have not even gotten to it yet? So, anyway, I sent them copies of my copies of the paperwork plus a check image my bank sent me.

To be continued....... unfortunately!

Old 07-05-2010, 10:17 AM   #15

The title and registration finally arrived on July 1. But the license plate is still not here, an enclosure said it would be sent separately......

Old 07-05-2010, 12:04 PM   #16

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Boy, oh boy, Wisc is worse than VA!!!! Didn't think that was possible!
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:05 PM   #17

2 weeks later and still no plates..... I think I might be a character in a Kafka novel.....

Old 07-15-2010, 08:51 PM   #18

There is something wrong! I got my plates just a day after the title.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:38 PM   #19

Hi: gharms...SSSSH!!! Someone might hear you...realize their mistake... and come take your plates away!!! WHEW That was close. Alf
Old 08-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #20

"Blue" finally has a license plate! It arrived on July 23rd, wow those DMV budget cuts have really changed things!

On the positive side we found a beautiful (primitive) campground up in the Northern Highland/American Legion State Forest. It is called Big Lake Campground near Presque Isle - almost to the Michigan border. It is probably the quietest campground I have ever been in during summer months. We camped next to the campground hosts and they said that it is rarely more than 1/2 full - that most people go to the campgrounds closer to the action around Minoqua or some of the other resort towns. Also there are no electric sites, and only pit toilets. But the campground hosts keep the pit toilets immaculately clean. We paddled our new to us (used) kevlar canoe around Big Lake, listened to the loons and sat around the campfire of free wood provided to us by the campground hosts.