Buying an RV GPS. - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap > RV Parts and Camping Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2015, 02:51 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Great info! And I think you've sold me on using my iPhone--if the iPad minis are reasonably priced by October, may go that route. (no pun intended)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpjod View Post
I've used a few GPS devices over the years for geocaching, cycling and getting around the backcountry. Turns out my absolute favourite device is my iPhone and all my dedicated GPS units sit around collecting dust now.

Apps I like on my iPhone for RV GPS usage:
Google Maps
Geocaching app - sometimes supplies a fun diversion to get out of the vehicle and stretch the legs for awhile.
Allstays Camp & RV - see their web page for all the amazing things you can do with this app.
Motion X GPS Drive - my absolute favourite GPS app/device for driving. It gets it's data live over the cell network while driving around so it's always current. It even supplies live data such as traffic density, locations of construction and accidents, etc. If you're going out of range of cell coverage or out of country and don't want to incur roaming charges, you can preload maps at any time. I've done this in restaurants with free WiFi while eating lunch - it works well.

I've actually considered getting an iPad mini and a dashboard mount to use as a dedicated GPS device in the vehicle as I think it would be a perfect size.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:45 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpjod View Post
I've used a few GPS devices over the years for geocaching, cycling and getting around the backcountry. Turns out my absolute favourite device is my iPhone and all my dedicated GPS units sit around collecting dust now.

Apps I like on my iPhone for RV GPS usage:
Google Maps
Geocaching app - sometimes supplies a fun diversion to get out of the vehicle and stretch the legs for awhile.
Allstays Camp & RV - see their web page for all the amazing things you can do with this app.
Motion X GPS Drive - my absolute favourite GPS app/device for driving. It gets it's data live over the cell network while driving around so it's always current. It even supplies live data such as traffic density, locations of construction and accidents, etc. If you're going out of range of cell coverage or out of country and don't want to incur roaming charges, you can preload maps at any time. I've done this in restaurants with free WiFi while eating lunch - it works well.

I've actually considered getting an iPad mini and a dashboard mount to use as a dedicated GPS device in the vehicle as I think it would be a perfect size.
I also use and recommend those exact same apps. I too had a hand held GPS, that I sold on eBay after using the other Motion iOS app - Motion X GPS- for hiking. (Note the app mentioned above it more road specific - thus has Drive in its title) I would rate those two Motion apps as the best cost/benefit ratio of any apps I have ever bought.

As opposed to my Garmin hand held - the Motion X GPS interface is simple and intuitive. If you have cell phone coverage it downloads topo maps as you hike. If you know you are going to be in an area with poor coverage, you can download the topo's before you go out and save them on your phone. It can save your trail route and you can later put them into Google Earth and see the terrain in 3D.

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:39 PM   #23

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Sounds like MotionX GPS is very similar to MyTracks for the android. I've been using that one and am happy with it so far. The antenna in't as good as a regular hikers GPS, it has some skips when in heavy tree coverage, but for the price it's pretty darn good. I tried a number of the gps apps earlier this winter.