Canoe choices - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap > RV Parts and Camping Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2015, 01:08 PM   #51

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie & Lucy View Post
Padlin, what do you take on your long trips with you having the 5.0TA? do you use inflatables?
I haven't taken any of the canoes on any trips since I got the Escape. Keep in mind I have a long bed, I picked up a front receiver mounted boat rack. In conjunction with an as yet purchased single Thule F150 Roof Rack I should be able take any of them.

Never tried an inflatable but for what I'm spending on the racks and such I probably could have bought one. Think I'd miss the way a hard sided boat paddles, my fiberglass boat and the strippers are fairly stiff sided, they paddle better then the Kevlar which kind of oil cans. I'd think inflatables would give even more.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:46 AM   #52

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2005 Toyota Sienna
[QUOTE=Jim Bennett;100732]I know well the type you likely paddled. They don't track that great, but some are tough and really good on rivers.

The one I paddled briefly, is made by Sea Eagle. That was this spring, and I think it is a new model. It has a removable skeg which help a lot in tracking if you need. To be honest, I spent 10 minutes tops in it. Very pricey too, but just might fit the bill.

https://www.seaeagle.com/TravelCanoe/TC16

That is a dandy! The Seaeagle I have been looking at is at the bottom of their line. I was wondering if anyone had one and how they liked it. Since I am not not experienced and would only go on placid water, I thought it would be suitable and not too heavy to handle.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:29 PM   #53

Trailer: April 2015, 21, towed by 2011 Tacoma
Check out Hornbeck Boats made by Peter Hornbeck in Olmsteadville NY, in the heart of the Adirondacks. I have know Peter for over 30 years and he makes some really cool light weight boats. He was my kids teacher before health reason forced him to retire and so he started building boats full time. I do not have any business affiliation with Peter, I just admire his boats and have one and many of my friends do too. Check him out at.....
Ultra Light Custom Canoe made in the Adirondack Mountains
Patrol35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:16 PM   #54

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I have a pair of 10' kayaks. They can ride in the back of the truck (6' box) hanging out the end and still leave plenty of room with the 19' in tow. If we went up to 12' kayaks we'd need some sort of roof solution.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2012 Nissan Frontier
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:39 AM   #55

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I don't do canoes anymore...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RR2-4.jpg (128.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 07-17-2015, 12:26 PM   #56

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018 on order
Our rationale for purchasing our first 17B Escape in 2011 was because of our kayaks. We hated the thought of traveling home after a wonderful, beautiful day on our Montana lakes. Camping seemed best option and, one thing led to another, finally leading us to our current Escape 19, all the time with more kayaking in mind.

After 5+ years in a tandem Wilderness kayak, we finally switched to two separate kayaks three years ago: a Wilderness Aspire for Karen and a Hobie pedal kayak for me. Carpal tunnel syndrome made paddling to painful for me. Once we switched to separate kayaks, we also added Simultalk headsets to our gear list so that we are able to continue talking with each other.

The two kayaks nest nicely on our Pilot. We're very satisfied with our kayaks and how they travel with us in our Escapes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9346028237_46e1a14d9c_z.jpg (125.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 17438095623_cc2eb6bb6a_z.jpg (124.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 9346027641_2567ce6f68_z.jpg (129.9 KB, 40 views)

Honda Pilot 2011
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:03 PM   #57

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksitte View Post
Our rationale for purchasing our first 17B Escape in 2011 was because of our kayaks. We hated the thought of traveling home after a wonderful, beautiful day on our Montana lakes. Camping seemed best option and, one thing led to another, finally leading us to our current Escape 19, all the time with more kayaking in mind.

After 5+ years in a tandem Wilderness kayak, we finally switched to two separate kayaks three years ago: a Wilderness Aspire for Karen and a Hobie pedal kayak for me. Carpal tunnel syndrome made paddling to painful for me. Once we switched to separate kayaks, we also added Simultalk headsets to our gear list so that we are able to continue talking with each other.

The two kayaks nest nicely on our Pilot. We're very satisfied with our kayaks and how they travel with us in our Escapes.
Excellent photos.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:59 PM   #58

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksitte View Post

Beautiful pictures!
I bet the trout fishing is phenomenal!
Slickheadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 01:55 AM   #59

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape
Send a message via Skype™ to Abeltaine
I've enjoyed my inflatable Innova two-person (converts to 1) kayak for almost 15 years. Tough (no patches yet!). Has a metal thingy (keel? rudder?) that you attach so that it has a hope of tracking. Though... We have neglected to put it on and been able to drift up and down a meandering creek for a lovely day. Just had to relax and accept that we would spin a fair bit. Leads to much laughter... Tandem means that on Arthritis Flare days I can lounge while sweetie does the work.

Downsides: It is not workable for someone with back trouble as there is NO support. It takes ~20 minutes to inflate with a foot pump. Any water in the boat (which happens in open kayaks) goes to the low point e.g. under your bum. I've never been willing to have the dog with us. (toe nails! no room!)

Upsides: I feel like I'm in one gigantic flotation device. I find it comfortable. It goes in the hatch (no whistling rope, no wicking water when driving in rain...). It is easy to slither in and out of while in the middle of a body of water for swimming. Takes up very little storage space. Can be carried by one person (in the quite heavy backpack when packed.) No hefting it onto the top of the vehicle.

There is enough room for drinks, a picnic lunch sack and towels/change of clothes in a waterproof sack, but not much more with the two of us in there. It would probably work well for fishing for one person but that won't be tested until this January, I think.

We are playing with the idea of selling it and switching to hardshell so that the dog can go with us and fishing with two people in the boat would be comfortable. But don't know if we can find a tandem of a manageable size...

Happy Shopping!
Amy
Abeltaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 02:18 AM   #60

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Go here: Choosing a Paddlecraft - Western Canoeing & Kayaking
for help in choosing the right boat for you.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote