Canoe choices - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap > RV Parts and Camping Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2015, 01:02 AM   #81

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Unfortunately, the Travel Canoe doesn't have a motor mount option...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Yes, Jim, but apparently not for the Travel Canoe... at least it is not listed among the models on that motormount page, and the instruction manual for the boat doesn't mention the possibility of using one.

This boat has the capacity we would want, and seems like a reasonable thing to paddle around a bit, but the ability to use a motor would be nice.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:37 AM   #82

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I contemplated an electric motor for my 16' Prospector canoe. And, I even got one for Xmas.
Then I thought about dragging a heavy battery down to the canoe, the motor itself, my rods and fly vest, anchors and paddles ( because you still need those ). And, I thought about needing a way to charge the battery.
Ended up returning the electric motor.
You can't beat a canoe and a paddle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg charly fishing.jpg (144.7 KB, 11 views)

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:40 AM   #83
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
May Charly rest in peace....
Old 11-16-2015, 07:17 AM   #84

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I contemplated an electric motor for my 16' Prospector canoe. And, I even got one for Xmas.
Then I thought about dragging a heavy battery down to the canoe, the motor itself, my rods and fly vest, anchors and paddles ( because you still need those ). And, I thought about needing a way to charge the battery.
Ended up returning the electric motor.
You can't beat a canoe and a paddle.
I have never owned an electric motor, that is not to say I never would though. A side mount can be used on any canoe, even the Sea Eagle Travel Canoe. A buddy uses one all the time, and he uses two batteries that last him most of the day. I have gone out with him a couple times, and they weren't too bad to carry. This was a while ago, and he used a gen set to charge them, which I was not too keen on while camping.

But absolutely, using a paddle would always be my preferred method of propulsion. That is a lot of the reason I enjoy canoeing so much.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:20 AM   #85

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
That doesn't sound too bad at all, if quality is there, and gives us the means to do what we would want. A couple of my canoes were both near $2k.

Some of those older canoes are really classy. I would love to get a classic old Chestnut wood canvas one.

Good to hear a personal endorsement like yours. That is very wise regarding deflating a bit when it is cold. Once heated, it would certainly cause a big pressure increase. I had a wee leak in a down-filled air mattress, and dunked it in the lake to find it. Because it cooled, it lost pressure, so I added a it of air to help find the leak. I did find it, and repaired it, and then stupidly set it out in the sun to dry off, without letting some air out. It expanded too much and ruined the webs that went from side to side, and instead of being a flat mattress, it looked like a big blimp. $300 down the drain.
My homemade wood strip canoe is a copy of the Chesnut Fox (wood/canvas) canoe and paddles like a dream.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:39 PM   #86

Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes, Jim, but apparently not for the Travel Canoe... at least it is not listed among the models on that motormount page, and the instruction manual for the boat doesn't mention the possibility of using one.

This boat has the capacity we would want, and seems like a reasonable thing to paddle around a bit, but the ability to use a motor would be nice.
That's the conclusion I reached, also. But not to say they couldn't add a motor mount option sometime in the future. Meanwhile, if I want to troll a lure all I need to do is talk Susannah into paddling while I hold the rod in one hand and a cold drink in the other. Paradise...

(Already own the motor/battery for my rigid frame pontoon fishing craft.)

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:32 PM   #87
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"

I have a canoe cart I used with my 17 Old Town that collapses to travel in the canoe (or chain it to a tree when left on shore.) Made it easy to load all of the above in the canoe and wheel it down to the water - ditto going back to the camper. My Sears Die Hard would last for a week or more in the canoe.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:23 PM   #88

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
A side mount can be used on any canoe, even the Sea Eagle Travel Canoe.
I asked Sea Eagle (via their website):
Quote:
Is there a motor mount available for the Inflatable Travel Canoe?
The prompt response was
Quote:
Sorry we do not have a motormount for the Travel Canoe.
Of course, that only means that they do not offer one, so perhaps some generic-fit device would work.

I would assume that there are two designs for a motor mount for the side of a canoe:
  1. a bar across the beam of the boat clamps to the gunwales or to a thwart
  2. a bracket clamps to one gunwale and is braced against the side wall of the boat
A quick Google search shows mostly the first type (using the gunwales).
I can't see either of these working with the Travel Canoe and its inflated side panels with no gunwale structure. Sea Eagle's mounts are generally of the first type, but attaching to mounting points designed into the boat which do not appear to exist on the Travel Canoe. Perhaps there is some other type.

Quote:
But absolutely, using a paddle would always be my preferred method of propulsion. That is a lot of the reason I enjoy canoeing so much.
Yes, I agree, but in some cases a powered option would be desirable... especially since I am the only effective paddler for a canoe occupied by two people.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:38 PM   #89
Commercial Member

Here's another canoe goodie if you mount it to a thwart - add 100 ft of mountaineering line and you have easy anchor up/down:

Worth Anchormate® and Anchormate® II Sets : Cabela's

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 11-16-2015, 06:40 PM   #90
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes, I agree, but in some cases a powered option would be desirable... especially since I am the only effective paddler for a canoe occupied by two people.
Some larger mountain lakes I usually used the motor as the weather can change so fast, since getting pushed downwind a few miles can be a real bear to get back to the campsite.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com