Coleman Guide Dual Fuel Stoves - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap > RV Parts and Camping Gear
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-04-2017, 03:17 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Moyie Springs, Idaho
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 - scheduled January 2018
Posts: 96
Coleman Guide Dual Fuel Stoves

I grew up using the old Coleman white gas stoves and found them to be remarkably durable and useful and am considering the purchase of a new one (essentially the same as what I used long ago but now able to also use unleaded gasoline). I have a super cheap no-name portable propane stove that I used when we had our truck camper but I never really liked it hence my search for a replacement.

Are there any benefits to the higher cost propane portable stoves vs the old fashioned Coleman stove? Although the Coleman stove would require having another fuel type (Coleman fuel or unleaded gasoline) I do not believe it would take up much more storage than a bunch of disposable propane cylinders or another 20lb propane tank. I will likely add the propane disconnect to our Build Sheet and know that as along as I wanted to use the stove closer to the trailer I could purchase a hose to work with a portable stove as another option. Finally, I really like the Spitfire grill discussed in other posts but believe I will still want a portable stove even though I may someday purchase something like the Spitfire grill. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and words of wisdom.
__________________

__________________
Keith & Lauren
2018 Escape 19 (completion in January 2018)
2016 Ram 1500 3.0L diesel
Semper Paratus
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:34 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Posts: 2,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Adventures View Post
I grew up using the old Coleman white gas stoves and found them to be remarkably durable and useful and am considering the purchase of a new one (essentially the same as what I used long ago but now able to also use unleaded gasoline). I have a super cheap no-name portable propane stove that I used when we had our truck camper but I never really liked it hence my search for a replacement.

Are there any benefits to the higher cost propane portable stoves vs the old fashioned Coleman stove? Although the Coleman stove would require having another fuel type (Coleman fuel or unleaded gasoline) I do not believe it would take up much more storage than a bunch of disposable propane cylinders or another 20lb propane tank. I will likely add the propane disconnect to our Build Sheet and know that as along as I wanted to use the stove closer to the trailer I could purchase a hose to work with a portable stove as another option. Finally, I really like the Spitfire grill discussed in other posts but believe I will still want a portable stove even though I may someday purchase something like the Spitfire grill. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and words of wisdom.
I replaced my Coleman white gas stove with a Coleman propane Grill/Stove (half grill & one burner). Rather than adding to the landfills with 1 lb disposable tanks, I purchased a 1 gallon (5 lb) refillable tank. Same fittings at the 20 pound tanks, but easier to store & dig out of the truck bed.

Not the best grill in the world, but the combination lets me cook most of my meals outside. It will not work with the low pressure tap provided by Escape - it has a built in regulator that runs a bit higher pressure than the 11" WP the trailer uses.
__________________

__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2016 Tacoma, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:19 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Moyie Springs, Idaho
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 - scheduled January 2018
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I replaced my Coleman white gas stove with a Coleman propane Grill/Stove (half grill & one burner). Rather than adding to the landfills with 1 lb disposable tanks, I purchased a 1 gallon (5 lb) refillable tank. Same fittings at the 20 pound tanks, but easier to store & dig out of the truck bed.

Not the best grill in the world, but the combination lets me cook most of my meals outside. It will not work with the low pressure tap provided by Escape - it has a built in regulator that runs a bit higher pressure than the 11" WP the trailer uses.
Thanks. I had not thought about a smaller, refillable tank. That could be very convenient.
__________________
Keith & Lauren
2018 Escape 19 (completion in January 2018)
2016 Ram 1500 3.0L diesel
Semper Paratus
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:43 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Adventures View Post
Are there any benefits to the higher cost propane portable stoves vs the old fashioned Coleman stove?
Propane is typically easier to light, because the propane pressure to the burner is constant, unlike the liquid-fueled stoves which need to be pumped up to start and depend on the burner heating the fuel to keep running properly.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:44 PM   #5
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 13,658
Except it seems the smaller the tank, the more expensive it becomes. I can find 20gal all day long for $25, but a 5 gal or 10 gal will cost 3 times that amount??
__________________
Jim
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why………..Mark Twain
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:20 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
dfandrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
Posts: 1,341
We had a Coleman white gas stove for years, even after propane ones took over the market. White gas became difficult to find. I ended up going to the petroleum products distributor about 15 mi. away to buy it, in a 5 gal. jerry can because that's their minimum.
The last straw was on the road during a camping trip, when a gasket cracked, and white gas vapors and liquid permeated most of our gear in our small utility trailer.
Result: threw the stove away, bought a propane one that we are now still using. We have a Tee at one propane tank on the trailer front, and a couple of 12 ft. hoses, to run to the stove on the campsite table. Works great.
__________________
Don & Teresa
2015 17A: 2011 Honda Pilot
RLTW
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:21 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Moyie Springs, Idaho
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 - scheduled January 2018
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Except it seems the smaller the tank, the more expensive it becomes. I can find 20gal all day long for $25, but a 5 gal or 10 gal will cost 3 times that amount??
I did an internet search shortly after reading the earlier post and found that the smaller tanks cost 2 to 3 times more than the 20 gal tanks. It only makes sense to the manufacturers and marketeers. Since I have the space and already own extra 20lb tanks I think I will find a way to tote one along if I go the propane route for my portable stove. Maybe there will be a sale when their stock of 5 gal tanks fills the warehouse.
__________________
Keith & Lauren
2018 Escape 19 (completion in January 2018)
2016 Ram 1500 3.0L diesel
Semper Paratus
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:23 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Moyie Springs, Idaho
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 - scheduled January 2018
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
We had a Coleman white gas stove for years, even after propane ones took over the market. White gas became difficult to find. I ended up going to the petroleum products distributor about 15 mi. away to buy it, in a 5 gal. jerry can because that's their minimum.
The last straw was on the road during a camping trip, when a gasket cracked, and white gas vapors and liquid permeated most of our gear in our small utility trailer.
Result: threw the stove away, bought a propane one that we are now still using. We have a Tee at one propane tank on the trailer front, and a couple of 12 ft. hoses, to run to the stove on the campsite table. Works great.

That just might be the ticket. I have a 12ft propane hose that I hook up to the house propane for our BBQ - same concept and simple. Thanks.
__________________
Keith & Lauren
2018 Escape 19 (completion in January 2018)
2016 Ram 1500 3.0L diesel
Semper Paratus
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:27 PM   #9
Commercial Member
 
tractors1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Posts: 2,325
When I decided to donate a lot of stuff including tents, a 17 ft canoe, and a ton of fishing stuff) to the Boy Scouts in 2007 the Scoutmaster who showed up with the whole troop advised me that they no longer allowed Scouts to handle liquid fuels. So my stove and lantern wound up at Goodwill instead.
__________________
Charlie Y

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:26 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Posts: 2,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Adventures View Post
I did an internet search shortly after reading the earlier post and found that the smaller tanks cost 2 to 3 times more than the 20 gal tanks. It only makes sense to the manufacturers and marketeers. Since I have the space and already own extra 20lb tanks I think I will find a way to tote one along if I go the propane route for my portable stove. Maybe there will be a sale when their stock of 5 gal tanks fills the warehouse.
Yes, my 1 gallon tank cost $60.00. The price depends on volume (sales, not capacity!)
__________________

__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2016 Tacoma, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.