Cooler question - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap > RV Parts and Camping Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2017, 04:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Cooler question

For the last 3 years Iíve gone camping with my Walmart-bought Rubbermaid cooler. Price was great, never gave it much thought. Nothing more than an overflow parking spot for bulky beverages and food I didnít want to open the trailer fridge for.

This last trip I noticed the cooler now leaked steady from the drain hole. It seemed to need more ice, sooner than before. The Rubbermaid has no lid latch - warm air can enter there. I been using a bungie cord but I donít think itís working. Been told to save my money and just get one made of Styrofoam, or buy the same thing again.

Given the performance of my not tropical trailer fridge, when we are in triple digit heat you got to have that old fashioned, manual/passive back-up. I saw those posts about the Yeti. I freaked out over the price.

Now I know there is competition. The RTIC cooler gets high marks. So many other higher end ones are being made, but what to choose? I looked them over on line. Opinions vary. They got large drain holes with chain tethers, rubber or plastic latches, wheels, bottle cap openers, cutting boards, gaskets, baskets, made in the US or not, and on.

It is a new kind of ice chest, all right, this molded, seamless, ďRoto-constructionĒ type. Built to take abuse, rugged construction, thicker walls. Tie it on the back of your 4wd trail toy. Just throw them 6 gutted 20 pound basses right in there!

So I got it narrowed down to the RTIC45, the Orca 40, the Igloo Yukon, the Grizzly, the Palm, the Engel and the Kysek, oh, and the Camp Chef. They all claim to keep your ice ice for as much as 10 days (uh-huh). All are up there in price. What to do? Note: No one seems to carry the RTIC45 right now, not even the manufacturer (they recently had a court battle with Yeti,).

Itís July. My decision must be made soon.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:22 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I received the RTIC 20 quart for Christmas. It's heavy empty. I can't even image what it's going to be like filled with food and ice. Thinking about the 45... I'd have fill it in the bed of the truck, chain it down and leave it there.

I just checked the RTIC website. The 45 quart weighs 25lbs empty and mine 17.5 lbs.

If weight or picking something up full is a concern for you.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
For the last 3 years Iíve gone camping with my Walmart-bought Rubbermaid cooler. Price was great, never gave it much thought. Nothing more than an overflow parking spot for bulky beverages and food I didnít want to open the trailer fridge for.

This last trip I noticed the cooler now leaked steady from the drain hole. It seemed to need more ice, sooner than before. The Rubbermaid has no lid latch - warm air can enter there. I been using a bungie cord but I donít think itís working. Been told to save my money and just get one made of Styrofoam, or buy the same thing again.

Given the performance of my not tropical trailer fridge, when we are in triple digit heat you got to have that old fashioned, manual/passive back-up. I saw those posts about the Yeti. I freaked out over the price.

Now I know there is competition. The RTIC cooler gets high marks. So many other higher end ones are being made, but what to choose? I looked them over on line. Opinions vary. They got large drain holes with chain tethers, rubber or plastic latches, wheels, bottle cap openers, cutting boards, gaskets, baskets, made in the US or not, and on.

It is a new kind of ice chest, all right, this molded, seamless, ďRoto-constructionĒ type. Built to take abuse, rugged construction, thicker walls. Tie it on the back of your 4wd trail toy. Just throw them 6 gutted 20 pound basses right in there!

So I got it narrowed down to the RTIC45, the Orca 40, the Igloo Yukon, the Grizzly, the Palm, the Engel and the Kysek, oh, and the Camp Chef. They all claim to keep your ice ice for as much as 10 days (uh-huh). All are up there in price. What to do? Note: No one seems to carry the RTIC45 right now, not even the manufacturer (they recently had a court battle with Yeti,).

Itís July. My decision must be made soon.
Myron , Pelican is also a great cooler . Made in USA 1/3 cost of a Yeti . 10 days . Robust stainless closers etc. they make gun cases too etc. purchased ours from Amazon .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0193.jpg (255.9 KB, 54 views)
Patandlinda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
For that size capacity cooler 23-30 pounds seems to be the norm. Loaded, my Rubbermaid was a heavy lift onto the truck bed. Guess just got to bend at the knees, Donna, and don't let the spine take all the stress.

Thanks, Pat. I'm looking.....
Old 07-05-2017, 04:40 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I got the Yeti but now there are lots that seem to be just as good for less money- i have a small one and its very heavy!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:53 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Why not put a new styrofoam one inside the older one. No leaks, and double the insulation. You always seem to like using stuff you already have on hand in the past.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:06 PM   #7

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
I checked out the prices, wow and double wow!
If it were me, I'd take that money and put it toward one of those 12v refrigerator chests.
Amazon has a high rated 45 qt model for $500. Whynter FM-45G 45-Quart Portable Refrigerator/Freezer, Platinum https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002W8BLUG..._0fwxzbYAMYPS4
Yes, that's a bit more $$ (and more lbs), but they can be used as a fridge or a freezer. As long as you have 12v, you're golden. When on the road, you can run it in the TW. When camping, you'd have to manage your battery. You might need another solar panel, but it seems to be a versatile solution.
Just my two cents.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:21 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 19'
we have a coleman xtreme 7 days cooler and it seems to hold up to the abuse... , it's more like 3-4 days in 90F weather.. we use it as a backup cooler for our compressor based 12V fridge in the truck, so most of the time it sits in the back of our offroad trailer and slide whichever way it feels like to..

I've looked at the molded cooler and price aside they are very heavy and don't hold as much for the volume it took up, reminds me too much of the 12V fridge...
caddoster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:18 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 17B "Tomago"
Another vote for the Coleman XTreme! Agree with everything caddoster said. Picked mine up at Canadian Tire in Vancouver for about C$80 in the spring of 2016...on sale!
Old 07-05-2017, 06:30 PM   #10

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
The Coleman Extreme is good enough for me, I've gotten 4 days out of it in Sept. If I was going to do a 10 day canoe trip or lived in the south west maybe I'd go for yet another cooler.