Ear plugs - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap > RV Parts and Camping Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2016, 11:16 AM   #11

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
Wax ear plugs with the cotton exterior are the best I have tried. After kneading them a bit they mold to the shape of your ear and really block out sound.
Brand name or a link, please, thanks!

Old 03-08-2016, 11:26 AM   #12

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn L View Post
Hahaha thanks everyone! Guess we were meant for each other because as it turns out we both snore! However at home we have the luxury of separate bedrooms
That's the same situation here. And one I'm really sweating about in regards to the trailer. Dirk snores on his back, side and stomach, so telling him to roll over doesn't work, nor does sleeping with a tennis ball taped to his shirt (to keep him off his back). Breathe Rights don't make that much of a difference. He's going to see a doctor about it - hopefully soon. Dirk can sleep through my snoring, but I can't sleep through his. Nor do I want to take massive amounts of sleeping pills each night in the trailer. Ear plugs don't work if he's too close as I can feel the vibration through the bed.

He's thought about creating a "snore shield" with sheets of foam insulation that will go around the opening at the dinette area. However, I'm not sure how that will work in regards to condensation. And if that doesn't work, one of us will be sleeping in the truck. One guess - the person that will not be willing to get out of bed in the middle of the night to clean the cat box when one of 'em leaves a stinky one. As that particular person can sleep through anything and anywhere.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:11 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
Sleep apnea is serious business. A combination of apnea and imbalance of potassium in his body put my brother in law in the hospital in a coma from which he did not recover at age 45. Do the study, if needed get the machine , they are 12 volt compatible, and get a 12 v outlet on the bed area of your trailer. Then you can sleep soundly without bothering anyone, remedy falling asleep at stop lights, do a great Darth Vader imitation and with practice, whistle the Stars and Stripes Forever all the way through without taking a breath. I'm on my second machine and am a user for the past 20 years. Get the test and the remedy.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:29 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape born Dec 28, 2016, Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I second that. These are inexpensive. They a rolled between the fingers before insertion and expand to take the shape of the ear. They can be used for several nights before losing their ability to rebound after being rolled, and work quite well. When I use them, I am hardly aware that they are in my ears.
The Ear Classic Soft can be used MANY nights before they get gross and covered in earwax.

They also soften with body heat and are thus more comfortable (and block sound better) than most other foam earplugs.

I myself am not comfortable with the wax ones.

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:30 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 17b/RAV4 (sold) 2012 Chevy Colorado
Note there is a differrence between normal snoring and sleep apnea- a potentially serious medical condition characterized by brief cessations of breathing, almost like the snorer is holding his breath for a few seconds. Using a white noise sound track loaded onto an ipod has worked better for me than any ear plugs. Snoring is a low octive sound that readily overcomes earplugs.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:42 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Googling this issue it doesn't seem like it is a recommended or safe practice to wear ear plugs while sleeping. Multiple reasons from medical complications to safety are given on multiple sites just at a glance.
I guess one could ask, "If a tree fell on a trailer in a campground and everyone was wearing ear plugs, did it make a sound?"
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:05 PM   #17

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016 Spirit Bear
Laura I feel your pain! Hopefully one of these remedies will work for you. Obviously it's an issue many struggle with. Thanks all!
Old 03-08-2016, 06:20 PM   #18

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016 Spirit Bear
Just found info regarding custom ear plugs. Product is called "sleep molds". Have just made an appointment.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:25 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Googling this issue it doesn't seem like it is a recommended or safe practice to wear ear plugs while sleeping. Multiple reasons from medical complications to safety are given on multiple sites just at a glance.
I guess one could ask, "If a tree fell on a trailer in a campground and everyone was wearing ear plugs, did it make a sound?"
Perhaps I have been lucky. I have been wearing ear plugs (the foam type) to sleep, though not every night, for many years. I haven't suffered any of the maladies the audiologists on the web have spoken of. I would suppose that anyone with a predisposition to ear infections or with excessive ear wax production might want to avoid the overnight use of ear plugs.
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:44 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
My wife does not snore too bad most of the time. A gentle nudge gets her to roll over and stop. I am usually fine if I fall asleep before she snores. Sometimes the sound is rather soothing. I guess I am lucky that way. She says I snore sometimes too, but I know for a fact that I don't, or wouldn't I have heard it by now?

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote