New compact trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap > RV Parts and Camping Gear
Old 07-18-2015, 09:54 AM   #1
Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
New compact trailer

So I'm gathering travel info for our upcoming trip, & Oregon Tourism sent me their package including a copy of Oregon1859 magazine, which has an article about Oregon-built small trailers, including this one from Bend -- -- cute & some interesting ideas, I like the windows for example. From the specs, appears to be slightly smaller than an Escape 17.

No mention on their site of price, and in fact website says production starts May 2015, but the magazine write up says their prices start at $30k. Makes an Escape seem like a real bargain.

One notable problem with it -- the downloadable brochure claims it comes with a 3.7 cu in frig -- WAY to small for my beer!

Lotar & Wendy
"Sit loosely in the saddle of life" (Robert Louis Stevenson)
maurerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:04 AM   #2
Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
3.7 fridge has suited us fine for several years. It uses less propane, takes up less space and, so far, hasn't had any cooling issues. Bring along a cooler, buy some ice and you're good to go.

J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:18 AM   #3
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
New compact trailer

Lotar, the Nest has been discussed and documented on FGRV from the beginning of the first prototype. It's obviously a very high quality trailer, but there are several downsides - not the least of which is the starting price.

Let's just say you can get a loaded Escape 21 for the price of their small trailer.

Here's the thread describing the prototype process. Robert Johans is obviously a superb craftsman - it remains to be seen if this trailer will have a sufficient customer base.
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:26 AM   #4
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Linky 1

Linky 2

I enjoyed reading up on these trailers over the past months.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:01 AM   #5
Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
My 3.0 cu ft frig in my 17B does me nicely, too . . . But a 3.7 cu inch!? I know it's a brochure typo, but I couldn't find a tongue-in-cheek smilie.

Thanks for the FGRV links. Interesting reading. Until the Oregon1859 mag article I'd never heard about it.
Lotar & Wendy
"Sit loosely in the saddle of life" (Robert Louis Stevenson)
maurerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:09 AM   #6
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I have exchanged correspondence with Robert Johans - creator of the Nest - over the years that he has been developing his product.

Robert seems to share a passion for the quality of his product with Reace and Tammy. They both build in fiberglass. Otherwise, they are very different. While Escapes are designed and built to be functional and a good value, the Nest is almost an art project.

For instance, the Nest has a Fulton tongue jack which won't bolt into typical couplers, so the matching Fulton coupler must be used. That coupler is only available in 2-5/16", so any tug for a Nest must have a 2" receiver so it can use a ball mount that can use a 2-5/16" ball... even though the trailer is nowhere near heavy enough to need more than the 1.25" receiver size typically used for Class 2 hitches. Why the oddball jack? Just for appearance. So because a cool-looking jack is chosen for style, you can't use some perfectly capable tow vehicles. There are other similar issues.

In comparison, an Escape has a well-proven, effective, readily available, and reasonably priced design of coupler in the 2" size which is perfectly adequate for the purpose and does not restrict the choice of tug or hitch in any way.

I respect Robert's dedication to his vision, but the result isn't for me.

Also, if anyone has heard of the "American Boler" proposal of a few years ago (not the real Boler American of three decades ago)... that's the original version of the Nest.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote