Reliable air compressor for tires. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap > RV Parts and Camping Gear

Old 10-01-2016, 12:00 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I have two cheapo Canadian Tire compressors. I paid for one and the other came home in my vehicle after the kid went camping with her buddies. Both of them still work, after several years of abuse.
If one explodes, I have the other for backup, and if that explodes, I have BCAA.
I do want to buy something though, spend some money.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:00 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I went with a Slime 40026 dual cylinder. It clips to the battery posts for power. I was getting ready to head into the desert on our maiden journey and had trouble with gas station air pumps removing air instead of adding. Didn't want to be caught without my own in the future.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:37 PM   #13

Trailer: 2011 19'
I just purchased a Viair Model 70 today for $53 at a local tool company. I checked the amp output in the Highlander and found it is only good for 10 amps. The Viair needs 15 amps. In fact most compressors need 15amps so that is probably why so many blow fuses. My solution was to buy a 15 amp DC (cigarette lighter type) outlet and attach 2 alligator clips. I attached it directly to the Highlander battery and it works fine. One of the things I want to use it for is to blow out the water lines. Has anyone done this with a portable compressor? Also, does anyone know the amp rating on the DC outlet in a 19ft. trailer?

My Blog; http://lenanddiansadventures.blogspot.ca
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:46 PM   #14

Trailer: 2011 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I too have had problems with the cheap Crappy Tire ones. I took it apart to fix it, and everything was plastic. Very poor quality.

Viair and Slime both make a few excellent models. I will be getting one of these sometime soon.
Thanks Jim and Bob for recommending the Viair. It helped with my decision.

My Blog; http://lenanddiansadventures.blogspot.ca
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:37 AM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
Both Costco and Discount Tire use compressed nitrogen (green hose) which is a larger molecule and is slower to leak out of the tire.
Air is mostly nitrogen, so mostly the same thing (same molecules) as pure nitrogen. The "nitrogen" gas used for tires is sometimes pure dry nitrogen, but is usually just air with some of the oxygen and carbon dioxide removed, so it's still a mix but with a greater proportion of nitrogen. The difference between nitrogen gas (N2) and oxygen gas (O2) can't possibly be important to diffusion of gas through solid rubber. If gas molecule size really was important to tire deflation, they would use carbon dioxide (CO2), not nitrogen (N2). Tire pressure changes due to temperature changes, and also drops due to leaking valves, and leaking past imperfect bead seals.

What is useful is having less moisture in the air, and the "nitrogen" used for tire inflation is probably drier than the air from an average shop compressor, which in turn is probably a bit drier than the air that goes into a portable compressor (and then into your tires). Pure dry nitrogen purchased in cylinders from a gas supply house would have essentially zero moisture (that's what racers used years ago that started this whole nitrogen inflation idea). Less moisture means less pressure change with large temperature changes.

Edmunds has a pretty good article about nitrogen for tire inflation.

You do get pretty green valve caps from Costco when they fill tires with nitrogen. My van's tires came with a set.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:44 AM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
I also have an 8 year old battery powered Power Station which I bought at Costco (now approx. $74.99) which has a light, compressor and can start a car. I occasionally use it to pump up the bicycle tires but not car tires.
I am currently using a "booster pack" like this - a portable pack containing an AGM battery used to jump-start cars, which also includes an air pump. This is handy because it doesn't need to be plugged into a 12V socket to work, so I can wander around to any tire without running long cords - this is great for the motorhome and for stuff around the house (wheelbarrow, lawn tractor, whatever).

Mine: MotoMaster Eliminator 1000A Booster Pack | Canadian Tire (or nearly the same; mine might have a smaller battery).

If the booster pack isn't in the vehicle that I'm using, I use a plug-in 12V compressor. I have had one fail, but any of them are typically good enough. I have one with a nice pressure display (I keep that in the van), and a more powerful one with a high pressure capability (I keep that one in the motorhome, which needs 85 psi in its tires).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:12 AM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I'm not sure if these compressors are suited for winterizing your trailer versus inflating tires. My Vair, which I hook directly to my battery in the front box pumps until the pressure builds to inflate the tires. That said, a small tank compressor once hooked up will allow you to go to each faucet and open to expel any liquid with the compressor filling the tank to a specified pressure. I do not think you can control the pressure without the tank set up thus you may run the risk of too much pressure in your system. Just my thoughts.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:24 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I used my Slime compressor for blowing out lines, but finally switched to pumping antifreeze through the lines. I just didn't have confidence that the lines were completely empty.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:28 AM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Been using this one for years as well , but it is a 2 person job. With the E-Z winterizing option on the Escape, just put the hose in the container and turn on your pump, works easy and one person operation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 413desmMyLL.jpg (17.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 10-12-2016, 07:44 AM   #20

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Mine also requires being hooked direct to the batteries, bought an extra hose in case I can't get close enough to the tire. Thought about using it to blow out the lines but haven't done so as I have a full size compressor at home. Maybe I'll give it a shot when we get home later today.