Suburban 2 burner drop in stove & flush mount glass cover - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap > RV Parts and Camping Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2017, 07:52 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Suburban 2 burner drop in stove & flush mount glass cover

Last Spring Escape agreed to install this stove in my 17B. So I ordered it and had it delivered to Chilliwack. Now they tell me it won't fit in this model after all although it fits in larger models. I got the idea from a friend with a 19er. It's very attractive and the flush mount glass cover really makes the counter space more effective.

The stove https://www.amazon.com/Suburban-2937.../dp/B003CVRNFO

The cover 2 Burner Drop-In Flush Mount Glass Cover - Suburban 2983A - Counter & Stove Tops - Camping World

My total cost was about $190, and I'd like to recoup some of my cost if someone with a 19' or larger on order would like to upgrade their kitchen. Note that the picture for the cover shows it on a black cooktop, but I ordered the stainless model. Your contact at Escape will be able to verify that the stove will work for you.

Walt

Blacksburg, VA
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:24 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Too bad it's in Chilliwack, I maybe tempted here in Pennsylvania.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:25 AM   #3

Trailer: looking at 17B Escape
That is disappointing. I too was looking at installing a flush mount stove, though a different model. I was thinking of the SMEV2.
Did Escape say what was the limiting factor in not being able to install in the 17B. Was it the depth, or the other dimensions? If it was the depth, what was the issue? Did it interfere with the drawers or the furnace?
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:34 AM   #4

I think I used an improper term. I said depth, when I meant height. If the furnace is the limiting factor, I was thinking of deleting the furnace and place two extra drawers in that spot, then add a Propex 2800 furnace under the front right hand side dinette. I understand the Propex heaters are quieter, more efficient and very compact. Costly though. You also lose some BTU'S
Old 08-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Sean: This was discussed previously. Sounds like it was interference with the furnace.

www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8/recessed-stove-top-on-17b-10719.html
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:06 PM   #6

Thanks Rubicon. That makes sense. It does look like the newer furnaces they are using sit a bit higher in the cabinet. I see in the thread you provided Escape says out of principle they won't install flush mounts in the 17B, but I am hoping if I delete the furnace they will reconsider. I am in touch with them so we will see where it goes.
I can't say enough about this forum. The amount of good info is incredible.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:58 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
That is disappointing. I too was looking at installing a flush mount stove, though a different model. I was thinking of the SMEV2.
Did Escape say what was the limiting factor in not being able to install in the 17B. Was it the depth, or the other dimensions? If it was the depth, what was the issue? Did it interfere with the drawers or the furnace?
Pretty sure ETI won't do the SMEV in any model of Escape. We took one up there for them to look at and the answer was "no". The problem with the SMEV is that the lip is very very narrow. They apparently did one and went through a bunch of countertops before getting it installed. With it being an infrequent install they don't have a jig set up to cut the hole and there is zero room for error. They did install the Suburban model in our 21 and we love it! The extra counter space gained with the flush mount is great.

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:59 AM   #8

Thanks H46Driver
I will be interested to see what Escape says. One thing I like about the SMEV is that it is completely flush with the counter top. The suburban is close but still raised somewhat. While I like the Suburban, I like the SMEV a bit more. However I would be willing to compromise, after all I am married with 5 kids, so know the meaning of compromise
Thanks for your input
Old 08-17-2017, 05:30 PM   #9

To me, and it could be my weary eyes, but the cooktop shown in the link provided by WALTP looks like a drop in vs a flush mount. The link to the glass cover looks like it is attached to a flush mount, but to me the cooktops look different.
I did find a dometic CE99 flush mount cooktop with glass cover, that would have a lip on all sides of 0.4". Hopefully that would be enough for Escape to feel secure in cutting out the hole. The dometic is quite similair to the SMEV.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
To me, and it could be my weary eyes, but the cooktop shown in the link provided by WALTP looks like a drop in vs a flush mount. The link to the glass cover looks like it is attached to a flush mount, but to me the cooktops look different.
The stove by itself is a drop-in which normally sits largely above the surface, but the "cover" is actually a tub and cover, which allows that same stove to be dropped in to the bottom of the tub, sitting low enough that the nearly flush cover closes over it.

The edges of the stove are hard to see in the photo showing it installed in the tub/cover, making it look different. And of course one is stainless steel and the other is black.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote