Tongue Scale Purchase - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap > RV Parts and Camping Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2019, 08:31 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Tongue Scale Purchase

I am considering the purchase of a tongue scale; I am familiar with the two models available from Princess Auto and Sherline. I like the cost of the Princess and the easier to carry shape of the scale itself, even with Canadian shipping it is what I am leaning toward.

My question however, is the slope of my driveway and how that affects the scale results. I have been told by Reace that the trailer should be level when measuring tongue weight. My driveway has a slope such that the front jack has an extra three inches of extension to make the trailer level. How will that extension affect the scale results?

There is a good discussion of the different scales at this link. Hitch Scale Comparison

fudge_brownie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:49 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
We purchased a Sherline three years ago. I've used it with our Cougar, Bigfoot, and Lance. Most only use it a couple of times after you get your camper to figure out your real weights, and then put it away till you purchase your next camper. In other words with three campers we used it about 6-7 times.

Too bad you're 200 miles away. We now have a 5.0, with no need for the Shurline, and let people use it.

Perhaps we should bring it to the Mississippi River Rendezvous next September.

Enjoy,

Perry

Old 01-17-2019, 10:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
My question however, is the slope of my driveway and how that affects the scale results. I have been told by Reace that the trailer should be level when measuring tongue weight. My driveway has a slope such that the front jack has an extra three inches of extension to make the trailer level. How will that extension affect the scale results?

My understanding is that the trailer must be on level ground and the tongue at the height in which you tow for the weight to be accurate.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:11 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
I did my old trailer like this a few times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scale.jpg (218.2 KB, 72 views)
Old 01-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I am thinking that it is because your rear axle is taking more weight right now than your front axle if you have the trailer tongue jacked up. This changes the weight center point thus how much is forward and aft.
It should work correctly if you make your trailer level with the driveway. Measure down from the belly band at the front and rear and get the same reading, then the trailer is level with the surface.
Of course they don’t recommend this as they don’t want people’s trailer rolling away. Improperly blocked the scale will fold and your neighbour across the the street will have your trailer in his living room.
If you know and accept the risk of wheel blocking and your trailer is level with the driveway...it should read correctly. Do a test on your driveway then on level ground and see if it is the same.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:03 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I have weighed mine in the sloped driveway, but I have a single axle so I can level the trailer on a slope without shifting weight from one axle to another. I only did that once. Too precarious.
If you get the Sherlne, order it with a 1,000 lb. gauge ( normally comes with 2,000 lb gauge ). The reason is that the gauge is most accurate in the middle of the range and is easier to read ( assuming a tongue weight of 4-6 hundred pounds.

BTW. Scale is supposed to be stored upright and you're not to pick it up by the shaft.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scale weigh setup.jpg (165.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Sherline box.jpg (156.6 KB, 30 views)

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:15 PM   #7
KMG

Actual tongue weight: Level the trailer and weigh. Leveling compensates for the slope.
Tongue weight when trailering: Adjust the trailer's angle to match trailering angle.
KMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:29 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
fyi, I just got the princess style scale from ebay for $36... it seems to work great. had to jack my hitch way up to get it under the tongue, but then it sank back to just about where it was when level, and read a hair under 180 KG, which is just about 400 lbs. E21 was mostly empty, bikes on back, tanks empty. I'll weigh it again when I take the bikes off just for laughs.
2006 Yellow Lab (Maggie... RIP Feb 2019 )
John in Santa Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:53 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 "Escape Pod" (November 30 2018)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
fyi, I just got the princess style scale, it seems to work great. had to jack my hitch way up to get it under the tongue, but then it sank back to just about where it was when level, and read a hair under 180 KG, which is just about 400 lbs. E21 was mostly empty, bikes on back, tanks empty. I'll weigh it again when I take the bikes off just for laughs.
Most travel trailer accidents we hear about on the forum and see on YouTube are the result of sway. From my understanding sway is a result of inadequate sway control and/or inadequate tongue weight. The under bed storage at the back of the 19 is big so its works well for heavy items like our 3 burner Denali grill. We also have a Thule T2 bike rack we are considering using this summer. With this being our first trailer, we really don't have any idea what the impact is on the tongue weight other than some common sense guesses. I took a look at Princess Auto found this Trailer Hitch Ball Capacity Scale for $37.99. Can you guys please confirm this is what you guys are referring to. It looks like something we could carry with us and check under different loads (full vs empty tanks) which would give us a better understanding of the impacts of loads. I'm sure the +/- 10% accuracy is better than my +/- 200lbs guess!
GoCampBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:41 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 "Escape Pod" (November 30 2018)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCampBC View Post
Most travel trailer accidents we hear about on the forum and see on YouTube are the result of sway. From my understanding sway is a result of inadequate sway control and/or inadequate tongue weight. The under bed storage at the back of the 19 is big so its works well for heavy items like our 3 burner Denali grill. We also have a Thule T2 bike rack we are considering using this summer. With this being our first trailer, we really don't have any idea what the impact is on the tongue weight other than some common sense guesses. I took a look at Princess Auto found this Trailer Hitch Ball Capacity Scale for $37.99. Can you guys please confirm this is what you guys are referring to. It looks like something we could carry with us and check under different loads (full vs empty tanks) which would give us a better understanding of the impacts of loads. I'm sure the +/- 10% accuracy is better than my +/- 200lbs guess!
Just read the Hitch Scale Comparison thread linked in the first post that answered my question. I'm going to pick up the Princess Auto scale and give it a go!

GoCampBC is offline   Reply With Quote