Trimax UMAX100 hitch lock - any experience? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap > RV Parts and Camping Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2016, 10:54 PM   #11

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
(snip)

2. What is the overall risk of someone stealing a fiberglass trailer, or an RV of any kind? I'm sure it depends upon location, of course, but I have no idea. Is this common?
When I first started reading the forum I came across some posts about at least one (and I think at least two) Escape trailers that were stolen. And there was comment on how one of them was stolen by putting it on a flatbed trailer. I do not know/remember if either of them were recovered. I think one was in BC, but don't quote me on that.

Yeah, we're already talking about what we can do to prevent theft. We're going to get one of those thingies that move the trailers around (heck if I remember what they're called) without hitching it to your vehicle. That way we can park it in our gravel area with the hitch facing in, to try to lessen any theft.

Locks, of course, on the wheels. We're going to get that Jack-E-Up (thanks much for the post on that a week or so ago - what a nifty device). And install some sort of tracking device, like Low-Jack.

We don't exactly live in a low crime neighborhood. I also more than half way expect it to get tagged at some point. Not sure if a cover would help that situation from happening. We're next to a bus shelter and lots of people waiting around bored out of their minds. Um, yeah, lovely, huh?

Old 01-19-2016, 11:19 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2005 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
When I first started reading the forum I came across some posts about at least one (and I think at least two) Escape trailers that were stolen. And there was comment on how one of them was stolen by putting it on a flatbed trailer. I do not know/remember if either of them were recovered. I think one was in BC, but don't quote me on that.

Yeah, we're already talking about what we can do to prevent theft. We're going to get one of those thingies that move the trailers around (heck if I remember what they're called) without hitching it to your vehicle. That way we can park it in our gravel area with the hitch facing in, to try to lessen any theft.

Locks, of course, on the wheels. We're going to get that Jack-E-Up (thanks much for the post on that a week or so ago - what a nifty device). And install some sort of tracking device, like Low-Jack.

We don't exactly live in a low crime neighborhood. I also more than half way expect it to get tagged at some point. Not sure if a cover would help that situation from happening. We're next to a bus shelter and lots of people waiting around bored out of their minds. Um, yeah, lovely, huh?
I think that thingy(ie) is a trailer dolly and they can be manual or motorized.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:27 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Good Insurance.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:35 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
It takes a pretty good man or woman to push a tandem axle trailer around with a manual dolly. Dead flat, hard surface for starters. Before I bought one, I'd borrow or rent one and try it out. We had a power dolly where I used to work. It would move a 3000 lb trailer around pretty well. We'd pack them in a storage building pretty tight for the winter. Have you thought about a game camera, solar powered motion detector light and touch sensor audible alarm? Full coverage, replacement insurance is a given.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:37 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I have a couple of questions about this.

1. I have a lock that goes through the hole in the lever on the trailer tongue that allows the socket to lock down on the hitch ball (sorry, I don't know what these parts are called). This lock keeps the ball from going into the trailer tongue, and/or keeps it from being locked on. Isn't this as effective as this other gizmo in preventing theft?

2. What is the overall risk of someone stealing a fiberglass trailer, or an RV of any kind? I'm sure it depends upon location, of course, but I have no idea. Is this common?
On one, those locks are coupler latch locks and the diameter is very small and easily cut. Not a theft deterrent really.

On two, an Escape 19' was stolen from an owner's driveway, thought to have been put on a flatbed truck, and not recovered. I think that was in California and the owner received the insurance.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:15 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
It takes a pretty good man or woman to push a tandem axle trailer around with a manual dolly. Dead flat, hard surface for starters. Before I bought one, I'd borrow or rent one and try it out. We had a power dolly where I used to work. It would move a 3000 lb trailer around pretty well. We'd pack them in a storage building pretty tight for the winter. Have you thought about a game camera, solar powered motion detector light and touch sensor audible alarm? Full coverage, replacement insurance is a given.
Dave
https://www.trailervalet.com/shop/tr...trailer-dolly/
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:06 AM   #17

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Thinking of getting this hitch lock for our 21. Any input on whether this would be a good choice or not? We understand that this won't make our trailer theft proof. We're just looking for a deterrent to use while camping. This will fit and shouldn't be a pain to set up right? If we end up storing the trailer in a storage yard we will add additional security. Any thoughts?

Amazon.com: trimax umax100: Automotive
Thanks Jill,

Another $50-60 added to my LIST!
Old 01-20-2016, 11:51 AM   #18

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Dave
Oh, definitely not manual. There's also a brand that I see ads for in Trailer Life that I'll check out closer to the time for purchasing.

We have a camera already on the porch and have discussed adding more. Our neighbor has one on that side of the house and I want to find out what their range is and if the trailer can be seen once we get it into place.

We've had those inexpensive solar powered garden lights stolen before. Really, must they steal that? Yep, they did. I've not heard of a solar powered motion sensor - will check into that. As well as the touch sensitive alarm. Thanks for that!

I love how someone (or more!) on this forum has answers/suggestions to solutions and questions.