Trimax UMAX100 hitch lock - any experience? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap > RV Parts and Camping Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2016, 01:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Trimax UMAX100 hitch lock - any experience?

Thinking of getting this hitch lock for our 21. Any input on whether this would be a good choice or not? We understand that this won't make our trailer theft proof. We're just looking for a deterrent to use while camping. This will fit and shouldn't be a pain to set up right? If we end up storing the trailer in a storage yard we will add additional security. Any thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...trimax+umax100

Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I have that one and it's easy to use but I only put it on while in covered (duplex) storage or I'm in an isolated camping site. Nothing is infallible but, as you say, it's only a deterrent.

Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
Jill ,
I have either this lock or one very similar. I got it from E Trailer.com when I got my coupler and stinger locks that go crossways through the holes for the locking pins. I also have some keyed alike anti theft lug nuts including for the spare. If paranoia has crept too deeply into my life on a particular day or site I have a heavy cable and bad boy lock for a wheel / axle tie. I just want to slow them down or get them better prepared for their next caper. The pros will take whatever they want like Grant took Richmond.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:02 PM   #4
xyz

Trailer: nunya
I use the Mega Hitch Lock by Clearwater Industries:

http://amzn.to/1OBGuAz

I had a trailer theft incident that led to my researching quite a few different hitch lock brands, and this video sold me on the Mega Hitch Lock. I'm sure someone could get through it eventually (with a plasma cutter), but it would take a hell of a lot of work!

https://youtu.be/-G_zz80h_Tc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060959.jpg (280.7 KB, 42 views)
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
That one looks really good. To me the Trimeric looks pretty similar to the Reese for more than twice the price.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We have one like this that works exactly the same way. I can't say that someone cannot get it off. They may pass up the trailer for another one if they see the lock but they may only want an Escape. I would say that you need to worry more at home or in storage than at campgrounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Thinking of getting this hitch lock for our 21. Any input on whether this would be a good choice or not? We understand that this won't make our trailer theft proof. We're just looking for a deterrent to use while camping. This will fit and shouldn't be a pain to set up right? If we end up storing the trailer in a storage yard we will add additional security. Any thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...trimax+umax100
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Thanks everyone. That youtube video sure was informative! This weekend we hope to go to Sly Park which will be mostly empty for campers but still will have some traffic from hikers heading to the trails. If ever a trailer would be stolen from a campground I would think that scenario would have a greater probability. Other than that, I agree storage yards or being parked at home might be more risky. When in storage we will definitely add something to lock the wheels as well.

Thanks again.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:32 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Another suggestion to get a "Jack-E-Up" and install. Not only can you now open your tail gate, but once removed it would make anyone attempting to steal your trailer to have a flat bed tow truck. Without the jack you can not raise or lower the tongue.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I have a couple of questions about this.

1. I have a lock that goes through the hole in the lever on the trailer tongue that allows the socket to lock down on the hitch ball (sorry, I don't know what these parts are called). This lock keeps the ball from going into the trailer tongue, and/or keeps it from being locked on. Isn't this as effective as this other gizmo in preventing theft?

2. What is the overall risk of someone stealing a fiberglass trailer, or an RV of any kind? I'm sure it depends upon location, of course, but I have no idea. Is this common?
Old 01-19-2016, 10:27 PM   #10
xyz

Trailer: nunya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I have a couple of questions about this.

1. I have a lock that goes through the hole in the lever on the trailer tongue that allows the socket to lock down on the hitch ball (sorry, I don't know what these parts are called). This lock keeps the ball from going into the trailer tongue, and/or keeps it from being locked on. Isn't this as effective as this other gizmo in preventing theft?

2. What is the overall risk of someone stealing a fiberglass trailer, or an RV of any kind? I'm sure it depends upon location, of course, but I have no idea. Is this common?
With the sort of lock you mentioned, a thief could still get the hitch loosely on the ball, and get the chains extra tight to hold it off the ground. I also bought a massive padlock for my hitch chains while I'm parked.

I don't know about fiberglass trailers, but I was building a tiny house on a trailer, and it was stolen when I was almost finished with the build. I had only locked the chains around the hitch, and nothing else. Now that I know better, I will never own a trailer with less than three forms of locking security on it.

xyz is offline   Reply With Quote