What do we need for our orientation and pick up trip? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap > RV Parts and Camping Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2016, 12:54 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
My husband and his brother will be picking up our new 21 then bringing it back (900 miles) in just 1 or possibly 2 days. We think it's crazy but his brother is a truck driver so apparently 900 miles of winter driving pulling a trailer isn't a concern. Anyway, even if they split the trip into 2 days, they will stay at a motel and not camp that night. So since they will not be staying in the trailer, is there anything they will need to bring for that trip? Is it as simple as hook it up and pull it home? Although if they stay overnight we probably need some kind of lock right? He will be driving a Ford F250 if that makes any difference.

And is there anything they should bring for the orientation? We know we need to watch the orientation video. Anything else?

Thank you in advance for any input.
I definitely would have a hitch lock with a new trailer no one is staying in but that is just me . Pat

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:58 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
If the trailer overnights hitched to the truck, then a hitch lock probably doesn't add much theft protection, but I always use the hitch lock to ensure that the hitch is closed and won't come open.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:12 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
If the trailer overnights hitched to the truck, then a hitch lock probably doesn't add much theft protection, but I always use the hitch lock to ensure that the hitch is closed and won't come open.
True Glenn to make sure that hitch stays closed ,good idea .but doing nothing might as put a sign on it take me . Doing something better then nothing .Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:05 AM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Brake controller in the tow vehicle?
Old 01-02-2016, 10:18 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
In addition to items already listed, I'd have a good tire pressure tester if you don't usually have one along and a wheel wrench or half inch drive breaker bar, 6 inch extension and 13/16 socket ( 1/2 inch drive). I always have some black electrical tape along, a roll of duct tape and an assortment of screwdrivers with a #2 Robertson thrown in along with a crescent wrench and some standard flat wrenches. 10 lbs of tools in a heavy paper sack doesn't take up much room and can make your life a lot easier at times.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:54 AM   #16

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I second Loren. When we picked up over Thanksgiving the I-5 through Seattle was quite a bear-cat. Might want to figure out how best to time it so you are nowhere near high traffic hour. We were off-hour, but it was still pretty bad traffic.
There really isn't any good time to go through Seattle. You could go around on 405, which runs to the east of I5, but it can get bogged down with traffic, even in the car pool lane (which now requires 3 people during peak hours for part of it). Traffic usually starts building up miles ahead of downtown Seattle (more so from the north, but also from the south) because you lose lanes when you go under the convention center (the big lid you drive under) and you've got lots of vehicles merging and getting off in that area. Basically, if you're heading south, pick the next to the farthest left lane (not counting the car pool lane, which they could probably use, even towing a trailer, but be prepared for sudden stops) and stay in it. All of the other lanes to the right of you will merge off at some point.

I remember one time keeping the speed at 60 mph the entire time I headed north through Seattle and was utterly shocked. This was during the day. Even 3 or so years later I still remember it vividly - that tells you how unusual that is!

I seriously doubt they can make it all the way from Chilliwack/Sumas to Sacramento in one day, whether you're a truck driver or not. Is there any reason to? Probably not. Much safer to get a good night's sleep along the way. Heck, it can take a while to just get across the border into the US (usually longer than it takes to cross into Canada), even at the Sumas crossing, which is less crowded than Blaine. And like Donna said, the Siskiyous. Um yeah.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:14 AM   #17

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Brake controller in the tow vehicle?
This is exactly what I didn't have and was going to say. It can be done at Cap-it near by Escape but I HIGHLY recommend you have it done prior to your scheduled pick up!!!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:27 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
My husband and his brother will be picking up our new 21 then bringing it back (900 miles) in just 1 or possibly 2 days. We think it's crazy but his brother is a truck driver so apparently 900 miles of winter driving pulling a trailer isn't a concern. Anyway, even if they split the trip into 2 days, they will stay at a motel and not camp that night. So since they will not be staying in the trailer, is there anything they will need to bring for that trip? Is it as simple as hook it up and pull it home? Although if they stay overnight we probably need some kind of lock right? He will be driving a Ford F250 if that makes any difference.

And is there anything they should bring for the orientation? We know we need to watch the orientation video. Anything else?

Thank you in advance for any input.
Hi: Jill... Make sure you send a "Memory card" that isn't too full... and send a spare just in case!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:24 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Thank you for all the great input. The F250 is normally used to tow a horse trailer so should have everything needed but I will check. I know they have the right hitch, but not sure about the 7 pin connector. With a brand new trailer and all the excitement/anticipation that comes with it, I'll be sure to get the hitch lock even if it's just to make us feel better. And now I remember a thread on the need for the torque wrench. I'll look that up so they know what to do.

I think he wants to drive straight home because he normally drives 24 hrs straight to his job in North Dakota so a 14 hour trip or driving in wintry weather is nothing to him. Having said that, I'll pass on the advice about getting through Seattle and the webcam. We'll definitely be watching the weather and try to time the trip around that. Also I'm hoping Escape will allow them to do the orientation 1 day and take possession first thing the next day so they can get as early a start as possible. We are brand new to trailering so I expect the orientation will be a bit longer for them.

Thanks again for all your input!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:27 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Jill... Make sure you send a "Memory card" that isn't too full... and send a spare just in case!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
You mean my husband and his brother right? No late night partying the night before!

Jill is offline   Reply With Quote