What do we need for our orientation and pick up trip? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap > RV Parts and Camping Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2016, 12:29 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
In addition to items already listed, I'd have a good tire pressure tester if you don't usually have one along and a wheel wrench or half inch drive breaker bar, 6 inch extension and 13/16 socket ( 1/2 inch drive). I always have some black electrical tape along, a roll of duct tape and an assortment of screwdrivers with a #2 Robertson thrown in along with a crescent wrench and some standard flat wrenches. 10 lbs of tools in a heavy paper sack doesn't take up much room and can make your life a lot easier at times.
Dave
Thanks Dave. We always have the tire pressure tester, but not the other stuff. Be prepared, right!

Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:30 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Don't forget to send Donna's zero balance credit card with them. She highly recommends it.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:33 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Two guys and an F250, shouldn't be a big deal. The only variable is the weather and you play the hand you're dealt.

My only reservation would be leaving a shiny new empty trailer in a motel parking lot by the freeway. Some care would be needed.

There's always the option of taking along a couple of sleeping bags and pulling over at a rest stop/ walmart et al. for a few hours sleep. The furnace is usable from the get go and other facilities are available. Might happen anyway if they have to wait out some road clearing or storm moving through.

Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:37 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
There's always the option of taking along a couple of sleeping bags and pulling over at a rest stop/ walmart et al. for a few hours sleep. The furnace is usable from the get go and other facilities are available. Might happen anyway if they have to wait out some road clearing or storm moving through.
Ron
Ron that makes a lot more sense than staying in a motel. And there's a much better chance they would stop for a few hours sleep if it's as easy as that. Sleeping bags are now on the list. Thank you!!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:46 PM   #25

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Ron that makes a lot more sense than staying in a motel. And there's a much better chance they would stop for a few hours sleep if it's as easy as that. Sleeping bags are now on the list. Thank you!!
If they stay in the camper make sure they have ETI or someone else fill the gas bottles, default is empty.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:49 PM   #26

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Two guys and an F250, shouldn't be a big deal. The only variable is the weather and you play the hand you're dealt.

My only reservation would be leaving a shiny new empty trailer in a motel parking lot by the freeway. Some care would be needed.

Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Ron
Well said and the best security not just leaving your new trailer very vulnerable with the hitch lock too . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:01 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
Hi Jill,

Bet you're excited! The guys might consider an alternative route south from Chilliwack -- one that we use every time, towing or not, to avoid the heavy Seattle traffic.

The routes takes you off I-5 at Edmonds, WA, about 10 miles north of Seattle, and onto the Kingston-Edmonds ferry. It's a half-hour ferry ride, and in Kingston you head for Poulsbo and State Route 3 (a very nice and lightly traveled freeway). Follow it and State Route 16 (same, easy, empty freeway) down to Tacoma where you rejoin I-5.

This adds an hour to the extremely rare "traffic-free" trip through Seattle -- and, in most cases, saves you a lot more than an hour (southbound traffic on I-5 often continues all the way down to Tacoma). And it saves a lot of driver angst. The ferry ride will cost $60 or so, but's money well spent in our opinion.

A professional driver, of course, will see things differently than we do. Just offering our opinion -- hope it all goes well!
Old 01-02-2016, 04:04 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Brake controller in the tow vehicle?
Yes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It also needs a trailer brake controller (built-in or added) to properly and safely tow this size of trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
This is exactly what I didn't have and was going to say. It can be done at Cap-it near by Escape but I HIGHLY recommend you have it done prior to your scheduled pick up!!!
Installation in a Ford SuperDuty truck should be really quick, but I agree that there is no reason to leave this to the last minute. It's probably covered already...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
The F250 is normally used to tow a horse trailer so should have everything needed but I will check. I know they have the right hitch, but not sure about the 7 pin connector.
A horse trailer might use the other style of 7-pin connector (with round pins), which is used on commercial trucks, so it's worth checking to be sure it has the right style (with six flat blades around a central pin).

Any horse trailer should have brakes, so the truck presumably already has a controller. If it is not a gooseneck horse trailer, it could have surge brakes (although that is unlikely), which wouldn't use a controller. Again, a quick check with the truck owner/operator...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:49 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
The orientation is pretty quick and covers a lot but the biggest problem I see on a tight schedule is the time it takes to get past the Seattle metro area. It took us four hours on a Friday afternoon and a couple we visited with in our second night campground said that was the norm. Maybe some of the locals on this forum know a quicker way. Loren
They can take the route that Doug gave, post #27.

We came from the east, went through Monroe up to Anacortes and stayed there, avoiding Seatte. Had been to Seattle previously so just went up to Chilliwack from Anacortes.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:23 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 escape 19
I agree don't video just pay attention. A walk around to check all the options is a good idea. They forgot to drill the hole and put the cable receptacle in our TV ready trailer. All the wiring was there just forgot to finish it. Just an oversight and it was no problem to fix with the part ETI sent but it would have been nice if we had caught it at orientation.

LDRay is offline   Reply With Quote