What do we need for our orientation and pick up trip? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap > RV Parts and Camping Gear
Old 01-01-2016, 07:58 PM   #1
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
What do we need for our orientation and pick up trip?

My husband and his brother will be picking up our new 21 then bringing it back (900 miles) in just 1 or possibly 2 days. We think it's crazy but his brother is a truck driver so apparently 900 miles of winter driving pulling a trailer isn't a concern. Anyway, even if they split the trip into 2 days, they will stay at a motel and not camp that night. So since they will not be staying in the trailer, is there anything they will need to bring for that trip? Is it as simple as hook it up and pull it home? Although if they stay overnight we probably need some kind of lock right? He will be driving a Ford F250 if that makes any difference.

And is there anything they should bring for the orientation? We know we need to watch the orientation video. Anything else?

Thank you in advance for any input.

Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:16 PM   #2
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Yep, just hook up and go. If they are not going to camp in it, there will be nothing needed. No need for a lock if it is connected to the truck, though you could use a coupler lock if you were worried, though we never did.

I am sure if they go through the orientation Escape gives, and you guys combine that with the video, that will pretty much cover most of what you need to know. Everything will be learned in short order, and I am certain at some point you will miss something, but it will all be good.

Enjoy your new trailer.

2017 Escape 5.0 TA (someday soon, I hope )
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:31 PM   #3
Site Team
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Jill, orientation and what you need to remember depends on whether you've ever owned a trailer before. My orientation went fast, I had also owned a 16' Scamp for years (still have it). Other than the awning (different because the Scamp had a Case awning), my orientation was quick. YMMV

IF they're headed south on I-5 pay attention to the camera on Trip Check for the Siskiyou Summit TripCheck-Road Camera!
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:04 PM   #4
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21. Formerly: 1999 Casita 17 LD and 1989 Casita 16 LD
I took notes at our orientation. I'm not sure I referred back to them very much, but writing stuff down helps me remember. (I'm a visual person.) You can buy a hitch lock from Escape. That and a few other goodies, such as chocks and blocks and a cool, telescoping broom... And of course, t-shirts and/or a tote bag.
Mary F Onward, through the fog!
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:14 PM   #5
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Bring a torque wrench and a jack in case you get a flat
bouterse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:25 PM   #6
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner
Supposed to use a torque wrench every 100 miles for the first 300.
Cathy. Floating Cloud
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.... "
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:43 PM   #7
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
A 2" ball on a mount which puts it at the right height for the trailer is required. If you don't know the right amount of drop of the ball mount needs to hit this height, you can use an adjustable mount or just work it out at the Escape factory and pick one up locally in Chilliwack (mounts and balls are cheap and readily available).

The F-250 is presumably equipped with a working 7-pin RV-style trailer electrical (lights and brakes) socket - it's hard to find a truck that size without this basic towing equipment, but it's worth confirming. It also needs a trailer brake controller (built-in or added) to properly and safely tow this size of trailer.

Since no one will be staying in the trailer that means there is no need for anything related to plumbing or electrical systems... given that the trailer comes with a battery, which is needed for the breakaway brake feature to work.

The other thing that people prepare for to tow their new trailer is a weight-distributing hitch (WDH) system, but you don't need that with an F-250, especially when the trailer won't even be loaded up yet.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:16 PM   #8
Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
The orientation is pretty quick and covers a lot but the biggest problem I see on a tight schedule is the time it takes to get past the Seattle metro area. It took us four hours on a Friday afternoon and a couple we visited with in our second night campground said that was the norm. Maybe some of the locals on this forum know a quicker way. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:30 PM   #9
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
My recommendation is NOT to video, DON'T take pix and DON'T make notes. Just pay attention. Concentrate. If you worry about getting it all down for future reference, you will actually remember little.
There are at least two orientation videos, and all sorts of posts and pix on this site to refer to later if you have a problem.
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:34 PM   #10
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I second Loren. When we picked up over Thanksgiving the I-5 through Seattle was quite a bear-cat. Might want to figure out how best to time it so you are nowhere near high traffic hour. We were off-hour, but it was still pretty bad traffic.

Greg A is online now   Reply With Quote