17B sold - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap > Classifieds Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2014, 10:05 AM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
So... In my 2010 Ford Ranger 4L 4x4 with the factory installed tow package, I should tow my 17b with the OD turned off on up hill slopes but engage the OD on the flat?

Old 04-27-2014, 11:58 AM   #12

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2015 Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
So... In my 2010 Ford Ranger 4L 4x4 with the factory installed tow package, I should tow my 17b with the OD turned off on up hill slopes but engage the OD on the flat?
From the Ford 2010 Ranger Towing Guide:

"DRIVING WITH AN AUTOMATIC
OVERDRIVE TRANSMISSION
With certain automatic overdrive transmissions,
towing especially in hilly areas may cause
excessive shifting between overdrive and the next
lower gear.
To eliminate this condition and achieve steadier
performance, overdrive can be locked out (see
vehicle Owner Guide)
If excessive shifting does not occur, use overdrive
to optimize fuel economy
Overdrive may also be locked out to obtain engine
braking on downgrades
When available, select Tow/Haul mode to
automatically eliminate unwanted gear search and
help control vehicle speed when going downhill"

Dave McCrae was totally right, its the shifting that causes the heat in an automatic transmission. Another problem I've seen is the fear of bringing your engine up to its optimum RPM to obtain torque/horsepower. If the the vehicle is lugging (I define that as the inability to accelerate when you punch the gas while maintaining the same gear) then the engine is running inefficiently and will overheat and transfer that heat to the transmission. Everything cooks The solution to lugging is to shift down and let the engine wind up a bit. Running at a higher RPM is less damaging than lugging. Those with smaller vehicles should also shift to a lower gear before the hills and let it scream a little bit. This is particularly apt for standards since the process of shifting on the hill will drop your speed substantially. The increased noise you hear from your vehicle is the pleasant growl (or whine) of an engine released to do what it was designed to do.8) Of course it will burn more fuel, but that's the trade off for selecting a smaller vehicle for towing.

My Dodge Cummins would burble along at 1800 RPM with any kind of load, I used to run my bike at 9000+ RPM, and I've towed a travel trailer at 5000 RPM with a Chev V-6. As Donna would say, YMMV. Everyone needs to become familiar with the limits of their particular TV.

BTW the 4.0 Ranger should be more than adequate for towing an Escape

Old 04-27-2014, 12:40 PM   #13

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Thank you sir!
BTW we just waded through the stress of booking 2 camp sites at our favorite camp site, Okanagan North. 6 computers and 3 days of trying but we scored. That, along with your news and I'm ready to flush out the system and head on out.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:05 PM   #14

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I always turn off over drive when towing my gooseneck trailer in my ford truck. It doesn't seem like it would have enough power in overdrive. I turn it back on when cruising on the freeway - I have a big truck it's not working that hard on the freeway. I shift into a lower gear when going down a mountain so I'm not on my brakes that is what I was taught not sure if it's right but it's served me well. When I was a child my dad burned out his brakes while going down Mount Shasta - no brakes on that twisty road is something that you never forget.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:15 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I shift into a lower gear when going down a mountain so I'm not on my brakes that is what I was taught not sure if it's right but it's served me well.
That's right - engine braking is appropriate when a grade requires a continued retarding force. If you still need to be on the gas to keep it moving at a suitable speed, you didn't need to downshift; that's one reason for not just driving in a lower gear all the time.

In some vehicles it is not necessary to manually downshift, as the transmission control logic will downshift for you (such as my Toyota's "Grade Logic", and cruise control behaviour in my Ford F53-based motorhome and some cars which I have rented).
Old 04-28-2014, 09:55 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
The hill going into Death Valley at least from the Panimint Springs side has probably killed many a truck. The return trip is just as bad if not worse.

(Never tow up steep grades in overdrive. Never tow with a TUG that is at or near capacity.)