12-volt outlets with usb - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2018, 07:25 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
12-volt outlets with usb

For the 12-volt combination outlets that have usb, I think Escape uses the Magnadyne WC-12V-B. The specs say that this has a parasitic drain of 20 milliamps when nothing is plugged in:

WC-12V Black or White

So 4 of these over 24 hours would draw 20 ma * 4 * 24 hours = 1.9 amp-hours. We're often off-grid, so that seem like a lot.

Thoughts? Has anyone with these outlets added a switch?

It's convenient having usb ports, but my current thinking is to just get the cigarette-lighter 12-volt outlets and use usb adapter plugs.

Bill R
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:59 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21, 2014 Northern Lite slide in, 2014 2500 Duramax
WOW
I did not realize they had a standby draw, one more switch mod to add to each.
Also a switch for the co/propane alarm.

The list continues
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 21' Escape - 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R View Post
For the 12-volt combination outlets that have usb, I think Escape uses the Magnadyne WC-12V-B. The specs say that this has a parasitic drain of 20 milliamps when nothing is plugged in:

So 4 of these over 24 hours would draw 20 ma * 4 * 24 hours = 1.9 amp-hours. We're often off-grid, so that seem like a lot.

Thoughts? Has anyone with these outlets added a switch?

It's convenient having usb ports, but my current thinking is to just get the cigarette-lighter 12-volt outlets and use usb adapter plugs.

Bill R
I went with only one 12v / USB at the dinette area of my 21'. For the other 2 positions I went with standard 12v outlets and planed to add USB adapter plugs to cover the ugly holes. One note: I suspect the parasitic draw is related to the LED light that's included in the 12v/USB outlet assembly. If you use plug in USB units make sure they don't have a built in LED or you'll be back to the same place.
1Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 19'
We just use a 4-port 12v usb hub when we need charging..
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Oldman View Post
I went with only one 12v / USB at the dinette area of my 21'. For the other 2 positions I went with standard 12v outlets and planed to add USB adapter plugs to cover the ugly holes. One note: I suspect the parasitic draw is related to the LED light that's included in the 12v/USB outlet assembly. If you use plug in USB units make sure they don't have a built in LED or you'll be back to the same place.
The 12-volt usb adapters that I own have parasitic current draw even if they don't have a led.

The cigarette-lighter outlets have no battery drain when nothing is plugged in. That's all we had on our 2014 Escape, and we only plugged in the usb adapters when we were charging.

Bill R
Old 05-10-2018, 01:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 21' Escape - 2018
Quote:
The 12-volt usb adapters that I own have parasitic current draw even if they don't have a led.

Bill R
Interesting. I suspect the small draw that I will have from the USB adapters will be an issue with me as I usually am not off the grid for 4+ days at a time but I may rethink about when it's better to leave the adapters out. - Thanks Bill
1Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:07 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I have USB outlets in two locations. Both sets are switched. Greatly prefer "proper" USB outlets than adapters. Don't like cigarette lighter sockets at the best of times.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I have USB outlets in two locations. Both sets are switched. Greatly prefer "proper" USB outlets than adapters. Don't like cigarette lighter sockets at the best of times.

Ron
I didn't think the switch is standard. Did you add the switch? Or is it an Escape secret option?

Thanks,
Bill R
Old 05-10-2018, 08:52 PM   #9

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Some other power draws that you might find interesting:

80mA -> propane alarm (from spec)
49.8mA -> optional Texas fan when switched on
21.6mA -> Dometic 9500E (electric awning) when idle (measured). 0 when the switch is off
20mA -> USB outlet, including the LED (from spec)
12.8mA -> MaxxFan when switched off (measured)
4mA -> optional Victron Energy battery monitor (spec)
0 mA -> fridge when switched off (measured)
0 mA -> furnace when switched off (measured)

BUT:

800mA -> fridge while running on propane. Quoted from -> http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-25565.html

I didn't see the amperage listed in Dometic's manual, but I found the above link. It probably isn't the same fridge model, but I'm guessing it's in the right ballpark.

If you plan to use your fridge while boondocking, 20mA is a tiny amount compared to 800mA. I wouldn't worry about something that is 1/40 of the biggest draw.

When the trailer is in storage, it probably doesn't matter either because the propane alarm takes more power, so you'll be switching off the main battery if you're worried about running out of power.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:01 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
I didn't think the switch is standard. Did you add the switch? Or is it an Escape secret option?

Thanks,
Bill R
No secret option, I added my own USB outlets.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Some other power draws that you might find interesting:
I don't mind stuff doing useful work drawing power. I do mind vampires that don't do useful work.

We used our 2014 19 a lot and there were occasional days (tree cover, clouds) when the solar was enough for the trailer systems but not enough to charge laptops. So for us, battery limitations were real.

Thanks for posting measured currents - it's eye-opening. The maxxfan turned off is the one that surprised me.

Bill R
Old 05-11-2018, 08:31 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21; previously a 2012 Escape 19
I disassembled our one Magnadyne WC-12V-B and simply clipped out the LED bulb. A 5 min job and it works great now without the draw of the light and the unnecessarily bright light. I have not measured the remaining current draw but I suspect most is due to the LED. Be sure to disconnect all AC power first if you do this!

Quote:

Bill R