120 VAC Circuits / Escape 21 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2014, 11:49 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
This is from the fifth wheel, as you can see there are 3 modules, each a double breaker...
Thanks Bob. Yours confirms that additional high-power equipment - such as the air conditioner and the water heater element - uses additional breakers.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Is your question the number of outlets or the number of circuits. With 3 x15 amp circuits your are exceeding the 30 amp capacity, if you used each to their fullest.
That's normal. Since it is not normal to use all branch circuits at their maximum rating simultaneously, the total of the branch circuits is typically much greater than the main breaker capacity (I don't remember the factor allowed). If you total the breakers in your house, I'll bet they add up to much more than the main breaker or panel rating. To avoid going overboard on this total, it would be handy if a circuit which needs very little capacity (such as one running just the refrigerator, or just the converter, or even both together) had a lower breaker rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
But outlets, there are 5 duplex which are standard, in a house these all 5 could be on one 15 amp circuit.
Yes, there could be a dozen devices (outlets or lights) on a circuit; that's so you can use the one which is located conveniently, or run a bunch of little stuff at the same time, in either case using less than the 15 amp rating. On the other hand, a home kitchen has multiple circuits available; the trailer is like a whole house, which always has several circuits - it's not like a couple of bedrooms, which might have several outlets between them but all on one 15-amp circuit.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:01 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Perhaps the trailer builders are following electrical code and would not get certification if they wired it your way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
I did some checking and there is appears to be no requirement to meet codes federally or any state...
There is the CSA standard for RVs, but more importantly, I don't see anything in what Steve is suggesting which would violate electrical code even for a residential building. In fact, I don't think having only a single 15A circuit for the kitchen (aside from the dedicated circuits for microwave, etc) would meet code requirements in a house... although perhaps that may depend on the countertop length.

As I mentioned earlier, I would want kitchen access to two circuits.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:06 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We play guitars around the campfire all the time, just not the type that plug in. And trust me, we have no need to amplify.
I'm sure the other people in the area are happier without those guitars amplified
Old 12-02-2014, 07:56 AM   #25

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Given that our trailers have less square footage than a typical master bedroom or a decent sized kitchen, it is likely that the various manufactures do not see a need for multiple outlets for utility circuits. Nor Would they foresee a reason to do so. Most people probably do not use the wide array of kitchen appliances when camping as they do at home, and due to counter size in a small camper, not at the same time. Nor is anyone likely to do any arc welding at the campsite or host an electrified rock concert as I jokingly mentioned in a previous post. I would therefore propose that the utility circuits installed in our eggs meet the requirements of 99% of us, and that is why our campers are wired the way that they are.
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:42 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I'm sure the other people in the area are happier without those guitars amplified
Usually, the only ones affected by our singing are the coyotes, and they join along.

If we are in a campground (a very rare occasion), we don't play as late into the night, and usually invite others to our fire, which more times than not is gladly accepted.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:04 PM   #27

Trailer: None
Being a licensed master electrician for over 40 years and a licensed NEC instructor at a vocational college for 35 years ,I know and understand the NEC .The NEC is not a design manual by definition and is considered as a minimum standard . The code and best practice are not one and the same . One can wire a new home to "code" but that does not mean the home is adequately wired for its' application . Casita uses all 12-2 NM for wiring ,allowing a 20 amp circuit in the kitchen. The use of 14-2 wiring in a trailer is NOT a code requirement and is done as a cost saving method while still complying with the minimum standard of the code . If I purchase an Escape ,I will again have to rewire a trailer to fit our needs and style of usage but that is our decision to make
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:12 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Have you discussed your requirements with ETI, since it would likely be easier to accomplish during the build?

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:29 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The use of 14-2 wiring in a trailer is NOT a code requirement and is done as a cost saving method while still complying with the minimum standard of the code .
I don't think that is a fair comment. I use 14-2 to wire a house because it's perfectly suitable for use in most of the circuits. Of course specialty circuits have other requirements but your comment implies that Escape is cost cutting by using 14-2. They're not, it's perfectly suitable for typical users.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:31 PM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I don't think that is a fair comment. I use 14-2 to wire a house because it's perfectly suitable for use in most of the circuits. Of course specialty circuits have other requirements but your comment implies that Escape is cost cutting by using 14-2. They're not, it's perfectly suitable for typical users.

Ron
Exactly, they only use #12 wire in commercial establishments.