120 VAC Circuits / Escape 21 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2014, 02:59 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The layout which Abby linked to (21' electrical plan) shows only one in the kitchen counter area, but it might not be current or complete... and I didn't survey outlets when I looked inside any of the Escape display models. Where's the second outlet, and is it an unlisted option?
(I'm not counting the ones in the cabinetry on the other side of the trailer, as it is obviously not practical to plug a countertop appliance into them.)
There is a bit of assumption on my part with the 21. I know in the 19, there is one at each end of the kitchen, only one of which has been used a couple times for our wee kettle. The rare times with do have connection to the grid, we use the kettle outside mostly, and a wee cube heater under the dinette (though this hasn't been used in a few years).
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:59 PM   #42

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
There is a bit of assumption on my part with the 21. I know in the 19, there is one at each end of the kitchen, only one of which has been used a couple times for our wee kettle.
Now this is making more sense One end of the kitchen counter in the standard 19' layout is beside the permanent bed, where one might want an outlet. I think the equivalent in the 21' is the one shown in the plan at the very back of the trailer, for use in the dinette area... not so useful for the kitchen.

The "wee" kettle raises an interesting point: kettles can draw up to 1500 watts, but a small kettle might take only one-third of that power, and so might combine well with other appliances (for those who use more than one). We would rather avoid open propane flames (when shore power is available) and so are trying out an induction cooker, which is essentially a nicer and higher-tech version of the traditional basic hot plate - that's a 1400 watt appliance so it essentially needs its own 15-amp circuit. Details of "size" (power draw) matter.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #43

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I've carried around an induction plate for 2 years, it is still in the box, I just removed it from the trailer.Never opened it. It is much simpler to use the stove and you can still use you kettle. The use of propane is minimal, whether hooked up or not. There is one outlet on the face in the 21' and another at the dinette as well as the outside one. Also one by the nightstand by the bed, any of these are available and I doubt they are all on the same circuit.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:28 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I've carried around an induction plate for 2 years, it is still in the box, I just removed it from the trailer.Never opened it. It is much simpler to use the stove and you can still use you kettle. The use of propane is minimal, whether hooked up or not.
Jim, I appreciate the sharing of experience (although I apparently have much more experience with an induction cooker, since we are actually using ours), but you have misunderstood the propane issue. I didn't explain in much detail (since I didn't think it was relevant), but I did say "We would rather avoid open propane flames."

Propane consumption is not the concern. We have a pet bird, and any open flame in the RV is an air quality concern (yes, I know, the stove is used with ventilation). There are also safety concerns. Ease of use is only a minor consideration.

There's nothing much simpler than plugging in a box and putting a pot on it, without even having to light a flame in it. The cooker also has power control by temperature (if desired), automatically shuts off if the pot is removed, and doesn't get dangerously hot (the pot heats, not the cooker). I'm not trying to sell anyone on induction cookers - my guess is that most people don't want one - just correcting the mistaken impression that we are incapable of using a propane stove or worried about running out of propane by using the stove

Quote:
There is one outlet on the face in the 21' and another at the dinette as well as the outside one. Also one by the nightstand by the bed, any of these are available and I doubt they are all on the same circuit.
The plan shows the dinette outlet by the rear window, which is not generally useful for cooking (although some people find it convenient to run a toaster or kettle at the table, for which this would be great). Is your dinette outlet actually on the end of the kitchen?

The one by the bed could be the useful second kitchen outlet, if thinking of that cabinet as part of the kitchen rather than as a nightstand. In the floorplan, I was misreading it as a full-height cabinet, not as a counter. This outlet is probably on a different circuit from the main counter outlet just because it would likely be easier to wire that way (each side of the trailer getting an outlet circuit), but I wouldn't want to assume that. Anyone have a version of the electrical plan which identifies which circuit each outlet is on?
Old 12-02-2014, 06:37 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Given that our trailers have less square footage than a typical master bedroom or a decent sized kitchen, it is likely that the various manufactures do not see a need for multiple outlets for utility circuits...
Most people probably do not use the wide array of kitchen appliances when camping as they do at home, and due to counter size in a small camper, not at the same time.
A decently sized home kitchen and a small travel trailer are certainly different. The home kitchen would have three or more countertop duplex outlets on at least two 20-amp circuits or four 15-amp circuits, and often more, in addition to dedicated circuits for stoves, ovens, ranges, refrigerators, dishwashers, and microwave ovens. Some of us would like just two countertop 15-amp circuits in a trailer; there is certainly the countertop space for two appliances, particularly since those two are probably being used instead of the propane stove (such as an electric kettle and toaster or hotplate), and thus the stove has a cover over it. No, personally I wouldn't plan on a dishwasher in an Escape.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:50 PM   #46

Quote:
The "wee" kettle raises an interesting point: kettles can draw up to 1500 watts, but a small kettle might take only one-third of that power, and so might combine well with other appliances (for those who use more than one).
Too be honest, I am not sure what it draws. I think it does 1 litre of water, though we do push the volume at times. It is a bit quicker than the stove, especially the inside one.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-02-2014, 07:15 PM   #47
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Why is traveling with a bird an air quality issue? Not like the inside of a trailer is a coal mine with methane concerns. My sister (a veterinarian) is also a trailer owner and had no idea when I asked.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:27 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Why is traveling with a bird an air quality issue? Not like the inside of a trailer is a coal mine with methane concerns. My sister (a veterinarian) is also a trailer owner and had no idea when I asked.
Stoves don't always run very cleanly, so there is a bit of unburned fuel (like the methane), but particulates and carbon monoxide are probably bigger concerns. It might not really be a problem, but birds are more vulnerable to air quality problems than mammals, plus they tend to not show problems until they die, so many owners are borderline paranoid about their health. Sometimes it's easier to just not run the risk... and there is a reason that canaries were used as air quality detectors in coal mines - they really did die before people noticed the problem.
No offense to your sister, Charlie, but vets handle an array of species (must be a challenge) and birds are a specialty that most won't touch... so birds might just be outside her normal range of practice. Or she has a different assessment. Either way, it isn't just about trailers - bird owners consider similar issues in their regular homes as well.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #49

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So now we know, Brian,B-P stands for a Bird Person
Old 12-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #50

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
... No, personally I wouldn't plan on a dishwasher in an Escape.
If Escape offered a combination dishwasher and microwave, I would be the first to sign up, and make my life as chief dishwasher a bit easier.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:01 PM   #51
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
If Escape offered a combination dishwasher .......
An ETI build DOES come with a dishwasher... the owner
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #52

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Birds are definitely more sensitive to air quality than mammals. There are documented cases of parakeets and canaries dying when a Teflon coated pan overheated and the Teflon coating released fumes toxic to birds. I personally wouldn't be too concerned if I had a pet bird at home and was using a natural gas/propane range in the kitchen, but in the confines of a small trailer, He might be justified in avoiding use of the propane stove if he has a pet bird with him.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:25 PM   #53

Quote:
So now we know, Brian,B-P stands for a Bird Person
Good one! Too bad the bird is my wife's, and bites me when he gets a chance
Old 12-02-2014, 11:31 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
If Escape offered a combination dishwasher and microwave, I would be the first to sign up, and make my life as chief dishwasher a bit easier.

--
Alan
I do very little as far as domestic duties go around the house. When camping, I actually enjoy cooking and dishes, and do the lions share. Doing dishes only takes a few minutes a day, and often there are lots of others we camp with around to help, or at least chat with, all while enjoying the great outdoors we came to explore.

I much prefer the space that either a microwave or dishwasher take up for storage. Besides, they would need to be portable so I could use them outside.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:47 PM   #55

Jim, you do get that the dishwasher reference was a joke, right?

By coincidence, I actually have a portable dishwasher that you could (but of course won't) carry and put out on the campsite table. It's a small unit intended for countertop use at home (Danby); we used it in our big fifth-wheel trailer.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:14 AM   #56

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Good one! Too bad the bird is my wife's, and bites me when he gets a chance
Sorry, Brian, but I have to ask. Did she train the bird to do that? :LOL

Many years ago, my father-in-law had a parakeet that would go out of its way to nip my mother-in-law! It was so apparent what the bird was doing that it was rather funny.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:34 AM   #57

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:

Many years ago, my father-in-law had a parakeet that would go out of its way to nip my mother-in-law! It was so apparent what the bird was doing that it was rather funny.
Hi: C&G in FL... When I was driving Transit Bus people used to flip me the bird...even if I didn't do anything wrong. I tried not to bite!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #58

Quote:
The bird established his place a few years before I arrived on the scene, and has been trying to drive all perceived competitors away for decades. :
Old 12-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #59

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Speaking of birds...and sorry if this hijacks the post!!

Bad Parrot
A young man named John received a parrot as a gift. The parrot had a bad attitude and an even worse vocabulary.

Every word out of the bird's mouth was rude, obnoxious and laced with profanity. John tried and tried to change the bird's attitude by consistently saying only polite words, playing soft music and anything else he could think of to 'clean up' the bird's vocabulary.

Finally, John was fed up and he yelled at the parrot. The parrot yelled back. John shook the parrot and the parrot got angrier and even more rude. John, in desperation, threw up his hands, grabbed the bird and put him in the freezer.

For a few minutes the parrot squawked and kicked and screamed. Then suddenly there was total quiet. Not a peep was heard for over a minute.

Fearing that he'd hurt the parrot, John quickly opened the door to the freezer. The parrot calmly stepped out onto John's outstretched arms and said "I believe I may have offended you with my rude language and actions. I'm sincerely remorseful for my inappropriate transgressions and I fully intend to do everything I can to correct my rude and unforgivable behavior."

John was stunned at the change in the bird's attitude.

As he was about to ask the parrot what had made such a dramatic change in his behavior, 
the bird spoke-up, very softly, "May I ask what the turkey did?"
Old 12-03-2014, 03:02 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
Speaking of birds...and sorry if this hijacks the post!!
I think that ship sailed a long time ago!