12V AGM Battery for a 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2017, 06:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
12V AGM Battery for a 21

Looking at my build sheet the only option I see for the battery is the standard group 27 12v or the 2 6v batteries. I am not inclined to go with the 6v batteries or the solar. I have read several posts on this site addressing concerns with the 21 having the battery inside the trailer (venting issues). If I am staying with a 12v battery would an AGM battery be a good way to go? My local Sam's Club sells the Duracell Platinum AGM Marine/RV Deep Cycle batteries. The group 27 is $159. They also sell a group 34 AGM. I am not an electrical wizard by any stretch so l have no idea if an AGM battery would be compatible with my Escape trailer. Thank you.

matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I'm not sure what the situation is. ETI needs the trailer to go out the door with a functioning battery. Are you thinking of asking them to delete their batteries and install yours?

The AGM battery is fine. Two 12's are better.

Ron

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm not sure what the situation is. ETI needs the trailer to go out the door with a functioning battery. Are you thinking of asking them to delete their batteries and install yours?

The AGM battery is fine. Two 12's are better.

Ron
If ETI would give me credit for deleting the standard battery I could bring the AGM battery with me. Otherwise I could just switch them out when I got home.
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
If ETI would give me credit for deleting the standard battery I could bring the AGM battery with me. Otherwise I could just switch them out when I got home.
This is what I did. I brought two of my own 6V AGMs. Escape will not eliminate the battery box and vent though. I do like them in the box anyway, but would have preferred no vent.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:59 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I ordered the group 29 battery for my 21 which was fine for a year but decided to go with dual 6ers due to a sale at Sam's Club. The advantage of the group 29 is it's size, Escape installed it in the dual 6ers box so it was an easy upgrade.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:27 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
... but would have preferred no vent.
Not sure the best way to engineer it yet, but for anyone with a portable solar panel/controller combo who wants to wire it directly to the on-board battery terminals, that battery box vent opening gives you a straight shot from outside the trailer to the battery's terminals without having to drill new holes in the fiberglass shell or the plastic battery box. Just feed the wires into the camper using the same pathway that the battery gases escape out. Or so it seems.....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I ordered the group 29 battery for my 21.....The advantage of the group 29 is it's size, Escape installed it in the dual 6ers box so it was an easy upgrade.
I did too, however that was just luck wasn't it. ETI doesn't say the box for the stock Group 27 battery is smaller and wont accommodate 2 6V batteries do they?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:43 PM   #8

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Not sure the best way to engineer it yet, but for anyone with a portable solar panel/controller combo who wants to wire it directly to the on-board battery terminals, that battery box vent opening gives you a straight shot from outside the trailer to the battery's terminals without having to drill new holes in the fiberglass shell or the plastic battery box. Just feed the wires into the camper using the same pathway that the battery gases escape out. Or so it seems.....
Dale, if you ran cabling from roof solar panels you would have to fix cabling to rear wall in a way it won't "vibrate" beating on the shell wall. I had that wet cell battery vent back there as well but was never used for it's intended purpose as I installed 4 6v Lifeline AGMs which as you know can be installed inside with no out gassing.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:15 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
War Eagle that peaks my interest would the Furrion Solar Port fill and cover the vent hole? I plan on having ETI install this on my build and already have the solar port and matching connector that's wired to the portable Solar panel.
Attached Images
File Type: png Furrion Solar Port.png (357.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Furrion Solar port specs.JPG (50.0 KB, 26 views)

"Live Life as if everything is rigged in your favor"
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:20 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Probably help if I upload this picture as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Furrion Solar Port open.JPG (29.4 KB, 19 views)

"Live Life as if everything is rigged in your favor"
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote