12v inverter recommendations? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #21

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Re: 12v inverter recommendations?

Does the voltage regulator in the truck also regulate the voltage at the 7 pin so not to over charge the portable battery in the back.?
Old 03-03-2012, 11:06 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I think I'm happy with my Honda 1,000 generator to charge the batteries in the trailer, if and when required.
Cost $1,000, but the deep cycle battery I recently bought to replace the trailer battery cost almost $300.

The Honda is about four times the size of a battery, but weighs about the same or less than a single battery. And, I won't have to replace it after three years. Of course, you need to carry a small container of fuel.

I have LEDs, no microwave or AC and I carry a Coleman propane lamp ( been thinking about leaving that behind on future trips ). Sirius radio and iPod dock both run on 12V DC as does the DVD player. TV we had also ran 12V DC, but I don't really know what the draw was cause we didn't really watch it when boondocking. We did watch once when plugged into AC and cable at a full service campground. We found we missed playing cards, reading and talking.

baglo

Old 03-04-2012, 06:36 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog
Does the voltage regulator in the truck also regulate the voltage at the 7 pin so not to over charge the portable battery in the back.?
I don't know the answer to that. I've been getting by on a wing and a prayer with that.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #24

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B

I'm assuming you guys don't have solar?
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #25

medora - I had Reese install this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Samlex-PST---1...0891346&sr=1-7

I used a 300 watt one of the same brand with my Scamp (where I hooked it to the battery with the alligator clips)... Reese wired up several outlets fore and aft so I can just plug in to those plugs when I want to use something not 12v when I'm not hooked up for power.

The caution is the inverter draws power even if nothing is on... I don't know how much yet. The brand Samlex is supposed to be good and the Explore Electric people were not phased by shipping to Canada and got it there in short order.

Now, I did get the 600 watt, which is a bit of overkill for my purposes - I probably could have gone with a 300 watt, but the issue was the distance the inverter is mounted from the battery. Reese put it in the driver's side dinette compartment and it is a couple/few feet from the batteries... I'm thinking my effective wattage is around 400. The wiring required is quite heavy and there are loses of power when the run is more than a few inches. Reese also did a brilliant job of wiring in a switch for me on the front panel so that I could turn the inverter on and off without having to open the seat.

I don't have a picture of the installation but can take one if you wish. I have the solar... ran the air purifier in the trailer on the inverter yesterday in the storage lot, along with the Maxx Fan to knock back the new RV smell a bit... started it up in the morning, put the purifier on the 4 hour timer... I checked after a few hours and the batteries were not at all depleted - showed 100% with a charging rate of 2.2 amps... left the Maxx fan (low) on all night and forgot to turn off the inverter... checked the trailer very first thing this morning before the panels had a chance to catch any sun and my voltage was reading 12.5 (charge was reading 77% but that number is not too trustworthy).

Carol A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #26

Hi Carol:

If you get the chance please take a picture of the installation. I'm getting my Escape 5.0 in July and would like to see the way it looks installed in your trailer. Are you sure there is no battery draw when the switch is turned off? I heard that the inverter must be completely disconnected to assure there is no draw from the battery. I am getting the solar system option too and this would be a great add on. Also what about the heat generated from the inverter; will that cause any problems?

Thanks
Roger from Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #27

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD

Dave, I think the voltage regulator is in the trailer for the on board trailer batteries.If this is true then with your set up the battery in the back of you truck would be in danger of being over charged.
I read through my trucks manual and does not say anything about the 7 pin at all.Or anything about the 12V power supply at the pin.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #28

I must be missing something.
If you have a couple or more 12V outlets installed in the trailer you can charge your cell phone, iPod, iPad etc. with the appropriate 12V charger. They even sell little solar chargers for those devices.

The TV I had came with a 12V plug and the AC plug which converted to 12V DC before entering the TV. The same with my iPod dock and Sirius satellite radio. My cell phone has AC and DC chargers. The only thing I've had to charge that doesn't have 12V is the MacBook ( not saying you couldn't get one ) so I would plug that into my 200w inverter when required ( and usually in the car while driving ).

I don't think you need to go to the lengths and expense that's been suggested.

baglo
Old 03-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

You can get a 12 volt charger for a Macbook - Best Power Charger makes one although I have no idea of the quality. I have a more expensive Lind 12v power supply that I purchased before the Best Power Charger was available. It is a 95 watt power supply, enough wattage that it both powers & charges my 17" MacBookPro. The lower wattage supplies will do one or the other, but not both at the same time.

I agree that using power supplies that go directly from 12V to the devices requirements are more efficient than using an inverter & the regular 120V power supply; in fact there are some battery chargers (such as my camera battery chargers) that require a more expensive sine wave inverter rather than the more common and less expensive modified sine wave type.

That said, I do have a 1000 watt inverter, but that is to make my morning cup of drip coffee!
Old 03-04-2012, 10:54 PM   #30

We boil water on the stove for our manual drip coffee. It goes from the funnel into a thermos. Added advantage is the stove helps take the edge off the morning chill.
However, Old Bag does want to drag the Nespresso along with us next time, but we'll be plugged into a power tree.

baglo

Old 03-05-2012, 07:44 AM   #31

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Looks like it is getting easier to find the MacBook Pro 12v chargers - I may try this one: http://www.amazon.com/GPK-Charger-Ma.../ref=pd_cp_e_0

Like Glenn, I like the heat in the morning from the stove when heating water for coffee. We have a small french press we use in the trailer, (drip at home.)

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

Sure wish they were around when I bought mine - the Lind was more than $100 more...
Old 03-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Water for my coffee is usually heated outside. I like to give my wife all the beauty rest she can get, for fear of waking the beast.
I usually rise a couple hours before here, but if it is real nasty outside I do use the stove inside. We have a furnace, so no need for heat from the stove.

I have used an inverter once. It is a 300W one from CT, and will run the laptop so we can watch a movie if we want. Otherwise, I have no need for 120V.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #34

Hi Roger - Here are a couple photos of the inverter installation. As you can see, it is attached above the black water tank in the passenger side dinette. You can see how large the wires must be! Reese did a great job installing it... If I had done it myself, I may have installed in the storage box on top of the batteries to shorten the wiring run. But I wanted the wiring integral to the trailer.

I do a lot of photography on the road... I carry 3 cameras which require a lot of battery recharging, the laptop and a photo printer with me. I can get everything plugged in at the same time with this arrangement.

I did not consider running a coffee maker off the inverter... it is strictly for the electronics (and the reason it is pure sine). I have 3 outlets wired up and served by the inverter - a double plug under the dinette, a plug for the tv and one under the frig. I had initially thought about multiple 12v outlets but really, the cost of the inverter is probably the same or less than purchasing all the car charger type cables... I also tend to charge a bucketful of camera batteries all at the same time and the multiple outlets allows me to charge those plus work on the laptop plus run the printer if I want.

I would be much more worried about the draw if it were not for the solar... the yeoman's work can be done in the morning, while there is plenty of power for the artistic in the evenings...

I think the whole installation and the useability of in having the inverter power available at the standard wall outlet available is just a thing of beauty.... it is just a dream come true to have all that so easy and at hand.

I just love it.
Attached Thumbnails
trlrinvmed.jpg   trlrinvdinmed.jpg  
Old 03-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #35

oh - one other thing, Roger - I wanted a switch put on the outside of the dinette so I wouldn't have to open the seat to turn the inverter on and off... Rease did a brilliant job on this...

I was envisioning him having to put a big circuit breaker type switch there, but he found a simple one that uses a red key (that removes) with the opening covered by a rubber boot... easy peasy...

I consider the addition of the inverter to be the absolute smartest decision about really getting the trailer the way I wanted it for the way I like to travel...
Attached Thumbnails
trlrkey.jpg  
Old 03-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #36

and "OFF" = no power draw... as far as the heat in that compartment? it doesn't get all that warm... the converter is also in that seat... just because of all the important electronics in there, it really won't be packed full of anything... I might toss something small, unnecessary and not metallic in there, but right now, I don't have any real need for the space... but if I do ever pack it, it will be done carefully to allow enough air space...
Old 03-07-2012, 06:42 AM   #37

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19

Looks good-wish I had done that on ours.

Steve
2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #38

and I wish I'd thought of your extra tail lights! Those are nice!
Old 03-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #39

Carol:

Thanks for the pictures; that really looks nice. I'm curious but do you have any workable 110 outlets not running through the inverter when your trailer is hooked up to an outside electrical source?

Do you also have any 12 volt outlets inside the trailer too?
Roger from Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #40

Roger - yes - I have 2 standard 12v outlets - one up by the dinette and one back by the bed (that would be the plug for the tv if I had a 12v tv).

The way the outlets were set up... um... 2 plugs can be plugged into each outlet as they look just like standard household outlets. Reese wired it so that one plug in each of the standard outlets are powered by the inverter - 1/2 (one plug) is inverter powered and 1/2 is standard 110... I do have one outlet at the dinette where both plugs are inverter powered...

top plug is 110v, bottom plug is inverter powered (sorry, I don't have a pic - it really is as simple as that) - each 2 plug outlet carries both - just depends on if you plug into the top or bottom of the outlet - that determines your power source.

make sense? each of the plugs that are hooked up to the inverter also carry 110... you just have to know which is which....

I ran around with my little Sharpie and a lamp to identify what was running what and put a nice neat "I" on the plug that is inverter-powered...

I also have a ground fault standard 110 outlet - all 110 - there on the side of the kitchen by the door...