19' core wiring schematic - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2019, 10:23 AM   #41

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Bob, does your E17 have a single battery? Perhaps the fuse in the battery box is only with dual 6 volts and your fuse is in line elsewhere?
Old 08-27-2019, 10:33 AM   #42

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
But you do not have schematics for your house wiring, just the termination terminals and as you say the breakers are labeled, as are the ones in an Escape. Do you know where each 120v wire is in your house walls? The issue I think is finding a wire somewhere and not knowing what it is power to...but you can mark each 12v circuit by pulling the fuse and same for 120v by throwing the circuit, same as in your house. But the wires inside the walls are the unknowns, as they are in the Escape, correct?
The crimped connectors and splices in the trailer are hidden inside the walls, this is not allowed in a house, must be in an electrical box.. It's against code to cover an electrical box in a house.

In fact I never asked anything about the 110 V circuits in the Escape. I can figure that out. My questions concerned the 12 V wiring. Mostly the 12 V wiring that isn't fused by the converter.
That's what I wanted from Escape, the connections between the trailer batteries, the tow vehicle, solar controller, trailer brakes, and converter. The location of and rating of all 12V fuses and breakers in these circuits. With an electronics background I thought a schematic for the trailer would answer that. I told them no options just the basic. I drew a schematic showing the trailer batteries, converter, solar controller etc asked if they could fill in the blanks. No response except to say the fuse and breakers were beside the battery cutoff switch.

I appreciate the help I'm receiving from others in this thread. Do you think your suggestions are constructive and helpful ? I'm here to receive help and give it if I can. Not to criticize anyone for asking a question. I'm new here, if constructively helping other owners isn't what this forum is for I will go elsewhere.

Thanks for your insight, Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:39 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Actually, travel trailers are now required to have one close to the battery terminal too.

It is starting to look like you need to do some rewiring on your new trailer. From the pic you posted earlier, the tech that did your wiring was having a bad day - the wiring doesn't even make sense.

Just rearranging where the wires land on the thermal fuses would take care of most of it. Below are schematics you could use.

Schematic 1 - what your wiring looks like now.

Schematic 2/3 - what your wiring probably should be - pick whither you want the emergency brake always hot or not.

Correcting the wiring should be as simple as moving a few wires around on the thermal breakers - all the wiring is there, just connected to the wrong terminals. While your at it, you might want to change some of the ring terminals - I just love the one on the battery disconnect bottom terminal.
Thanks very much. I intended go over the DC connections from the two batteries right through to the TV connector at the ball. I'll add fuses to the battery terminals rather than splice into the battery cables. With your diagrams I have a good handle on what it should look like. If I have any further questions I'll let you know.

Bob
Old 08-27-2019, 10:39 AM   #44

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Bob, does your E17 have a single battery? Perhaps the fuse in the battery box is only with dual 6 volts and your fuse is in line elsewhere?
It wouldn't matter if one or two batteries are installed. A terminal (catastrophic) fuse should be installed as close to the positive battery as possible.

I don't know if a terminal fuse is required in Canada but installing one is common practice in the US. From a safety standpoint, it makes sense as it prevents a short circuit from melting the wiring and maybe catching fire.

If you want to see what I'm talking about, connect a 8 gauge wire across the positive and negative terminals of your battery. Be sure to wear protective gear as the wire is going to melt the insulation off and possibly catch fire before it finally melts in two.

Now attach the wire to a section of dry wood like the wire going from your battery to the converter is like in your Escape and repeat the experiment. There's a good chance the wood will catch fire as well.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:40 AM   #45

I was not trying to criticize your question and if you felt that way I'm sorry. My point is, with your electrical background you expected more from Escape than what other owners may not have knowledge about nor asked for. So my point is if Escape did not reply as you wanted is that okay for others but not okay for you? But I agree if there are issues in your trailer that are dangerous, then others should know.
You have solar but one battery and there is no fuse in your battery box correct?
Old 08-27-2019, 10:42 AM   #46

Quote:
It wouldn't matter if one or two batteries are installed. A terminal (catastrophic) fuse should be installed as close to the positive battery as possible.

I don't know if a terminal fuse is required in Canada but installing one is common practice in the US. From a safety standpoint, it makes sense as it prevents a short circuit from melting the wiring and maybe catching fire.

If you want to what I'm talking about, connect a 8 gauge wire across the positive and negative terminals of your battery. Be sure to wear protective gear as the wire is going to melt the insulation off and possibly catch fire before it finally melts in two.
I'm aware of what 12v can do, I had to many rings that touched a starter solenoid and burned my fingers bad before learning to remove all jewelry when working.
I have to check now and look for my terminal fuse on my vehicles, after removing my ring.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:57 AM   #47

Quote:
I was not trying to criticize your question and if you felt that way I'm sorry. My point is, with your electrical background you expected more from Escape than what other owners may not have knowledge about nor asked for. So my point is if Escape did not reply as you wanted is that okay for others but not okay for you? But I agree if there are issues in your trailer that are dangerous, then others should know.
You have solar but one battery and there is no fuse in your battery box correct?
Jim, I didn't mean to sound like I thought you were criticizing me. I was just trying to make a point that there really should be a terminal fuse on every connection directly to the battery.

If we were talking face to face, conversations would be a lot easier. It's hard to say some things without it coming across the wrong way. I try to use emoji as much as possible as they help but still misunderstandings come across anyway.

The OP started this thread asking for a simple wiring schematic and it seems it has turned into a critique of Escape's wiring instead. Maybe that's enough on the subject and time to move on.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:04 AM   #48

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Battery fuse

Hi,
For reference:
Attached is a photo of the Battery setup on a 2019 19’.
A fuse is located at Battery terminal #1
Attached Thumbnails
D2B0D5FE-6C78-4710-87D8-E112CA6B171A.jpg  
dsbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:08 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbc View Post
Hi,
Attached is a photo of the Battery setup on a 2019 19’.
Bottom right of photo shows a fuse on the Battery terminal.
The 200 amp terminal fuse in the pic is for the inverter. It looks like Escape quit installing a terminal fuse for the wire going to the converter (wire going out of pic to right).

I think that is a bad choice to make.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:25 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark Camper View Post
Thanks very much. I intended go over the DC connections from the two batteries right through to the TV connector at the ball. I'll add fuses to the battery terminals rather than splice into the battery cables. With your diagrams I have a good handle on what it should look like. If I have any further questions I'll let you know.

Bob
While you are tracing your wiring, you might want to open the 7 pin junction box. There has been some questionable wiring done there in the past. I'm sure that Escape has corrected this by now but it wouldn't hurt to check.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...tml#post250510
Old 08-27-2019, 11:42 AM   #51

Quote:
The 200 amp terminal fuse in the pic is for the inverter. It looks like Escape quit installing a terminal fuse for the wire going to the converter (wire going out of pic to right).

I think that is a bad choice to make.
I have only a basic understanding of electric/wiring ... therefore am not qualified to access best wiring practices.
But, I’m interested to hear why you think it could be wired better.

For reference: attached is photos of where the red wire (coming from the battery) makes its first connection after the battery.

Note: there is before and after photos ... related to relocating the battery disconnect switch.
Attached Thumbnails
A9A43EBE-6E3B-41A7-B273-ED7193CE4275.jpg   FE804147-4311-492D-B5E3-2AF96252AD07.jpg  
Old 08-27-2019, 12:05 PM   #52

Quote:
I have only a basic understanding of electric/wiring ... therefore am not qualified to access best wiring practices.
But, I’m interested to hear why you think it could be wired better.

For reference: attached is photos of where the red wire (coming from the battery) makes its first connection after the battery.

Note: there is before and after photos ... related to relocating the battery disconnect switch.
Help me out here. In the pic below, wire 1 is going to the battery disconnect and converter, wire 2 is going to the emergency brake, etc., wire 3 is going to the battery, and wire 4 is going to your solar controller. Is this correct?

Wire 4 could be going to the battery and wire 3, to the solar controller.
Attached Thumbnails
thermal breakers.jpg  
Old 08-27-2019, 12:05 PM   #53

Quote:
While you are tracing your wiring, you might want to open the 7 pin junction box. There has been some questionable wiring done there in the past. I'm sure that Escape has corrected this by now but it wouldn't hurt to check.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...tml#post250510

Thanks, good point. I intend to look at all the connections that are visible. Particularly those outside the fiberglass tub. I'll confirm the basic wiring layout. Include a copy in the owners manual for future owners or those that may have to work on the trailer.

I'd like to be sure the exterior connections will not corrode. We have a lot of salt here. If we go south this winter there will be lots of salt on I81.

I looked at the 3 level sensor connections on our fresh water tank. I don't think they would last one season here. I sealed them up with a rubberized spray on coating to try and seal out the salt and water.

Bob
Old 08-27-2019, 12:12 PM   #54

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Most consumers do not have a wiring diagram for any of their vehicles, and one is not expected in the owner's manual; however, complete diagrams are included in the service documentation. A root problem is that Escape does not have service documentation available for the electrical system.

Another issue for being able to troubleshoot the trailer's electrical system - aside from any considerations of quality - is a lack of labelling. In a car, there are few if any labels on wires, but every wire is can be found on the wiring diagram by the corresponding colour coding and position in connector pin listings.

The AC power side is trivial in comparison with the DC side. Just as in a house, all it needs is an accurate listing of what is on each circuit... although the transfer switch configuration of the all-outlet inverter option complicates the situation.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:41 PM   #55

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Help me out here. In the pic below, wire 1 is going to the battery disconnect and converter, wire 2 is going to the emergency brake, etc., wire 3 is going to the battery, and wire 4 is going to your solar controller. Is this correct?

This looks similar to my 2019 E19, wire 4 is coming from the solar charge controller going through a 30A breaker to the battery through the small pigtail connected between the breakers.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:42 PM   #56

Quote:
Jim, I didn't mean to sound like I thought you were criticizing me. I was just trying to make a point that there really should be a terminal fuse on every connection directly to the battery.

If we were talking face to face, conversations would be a lot easier. It's hard to say some things without it coming across the wrong way. I try to use emoji as much as possible as they help but still misunderstandings come across anyway.

The OP started this thread asking for a simple wiring schematic and it seems it has turned into a critique of Escape's wiring instead. Maybe that's enough on the subject and time to move on.
Again sorry, I was referring to Bob...
Old 08-27-2019, 12:49 PM   #57

Quote:

Wire 1 to converter.

Battery disconnect switch moved to Battery location.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ate-15872.html

Wire 4 goes to solar controller.
Attached Thumbnails
Wires 2 and 3 entry points.jpg   Wires 2 and 3 Underside.jpg   Wires 1 and 4.jpg   relocate disconnect switch.jpg  
Old 08-27-2019, 12:55 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
This looks similar to my 2019 E19, wire 4 is coming from the solar charge controller going through a 30A breaker to the battery through the small pigtail connected between the breakers.
That is the way I would wire it. Below is a schematic of your wiring. Maybe without the terminal fuse?
Attached Thumbnails
Battery wiring - 2019.jpg  
Old 08-27-2019, 12:55 PM   #59

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
That would make your wiring schematic look like this. Maybe without the terminal fuse? By the way, your wiring is the way it should be!
Yes, that's correct, on the battery I have the 200A inverter fuse but no terminal fuse.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:04 PM   #60

Quote:
Wire 1 to converter.

Battery disconnect switch moved to Battery location.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ate-15872.html

Wire 4 goes to solar controller.
Here is your wiring diagram. Two things I would change is to add the terminal fuse between the battery cutoff switch and the battery and the other is to move the solar charge connection to before the battery cutoff switch. The first one because the battery cutoff switch you have is the same one I used and can pass 300 amps - that's enough to melt the wiring downstream of the switch. The second one because the solar could be charging your battery while the battery cutoff switch is off while in storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Battery wiring - 2019b.jpg