19' core wiring schematic - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2019, 03:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Smile 19' core wiring schematic

Does anyone have a core DC wiring schematic for the 2019 19'?

For example, below is under the front u-shaped bench seats, on the street side, next to the DC disconnect switch.

These are two circuit breakers. Suspect the top breaker is a Type 1 auto resettable, which keeps trying to put voltage on the brakes when breakaway switch gets activated. Suspect bottom breaker is a type 2 - which would reset if you remove the battery.

What are the breaker ratings? 40A?

8 AWG darker red wire on top breaker left terminal goes to the battery. Bottom left 8 AWG red wire on bottom breaker left terminal goes to the DC disconnect switch, which eventually goes to the WFCO 8955 + bus.

Note the #10 wire between the breakers - which carries all the current from batteries to DC distribution panel. ABYC 2018 says #10, 105C can carry 60A, but am surprised to see it between the #8 wires.

What are the other wires? Is the smaller wire on bottom breaker right terminal for the battery to power the breakaway switch for the wheel brakes? is the smaller wire on the bottom breaker left terminal for the CO2 and propane detector?

From image below, there are 5 DC branch circuits, 4 on top protected by a 15A fuses, and one on bottom protected by 30A fuse.

Am also looking for a listing of items on each DC fuse in the WFCO panel. Is the 30A for our Dometic DM2663 refrigerator? Is the "12V" circuit for all the DC outlet and USB charger panels scattered about the trailer?

Searched forum for wiring diagram and wiring schematic, but could not find any diagrams for 19'.

Would save lots of time if someone has a schematic. :-)

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:25 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There are probably less than a dozen front "U" dinette E19 Escapes so wiring maybe model specific. Have you tried contact the factory Do you have solar or dual six volts or an inverter, all of these would incorporate different wiring schemes.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:33 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I didn't think schematics existed, for any model or configuration.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I didn't think schematics existed, for any model or configuration.

The only schematics that I know the existence of are on the walls in ETI's factory. They consist of white-painted plywood with colored lines and notes, to illustrate what color, gauge, and circuit purpose, and nails at bends. This all is to make the looms for each trailer. Since there are a plethora of wiring variations due to all the options (hence: the nails and notes), no one master wiring diagram exists.

In some build photos, you can see the wiring drawings on the walls behind the trailers. E.G. below:
Attached Thumbnails
8-28-15-005.jpg  
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
There are probably less than a dozen front "U" dinette E19 Escapes so wiring maybe model specific. Have you tried contact the factory Do you have solar or dual six volts or an inverter, all of these would incorporate different wiring schemes.
From the factory, I received the "options" sheet showing where all the lighting and outlets can go - both AC and DC.

We have:
- dual solar
- 6V batteries
- inverter
- 8 Captain's lights
- front and back outside bellyband lights
- power awning with LEDs
- 3 exterior 12V/USB outlets
- 3 additional interior 12V/USB
- Zamp solar inlet
So I understand that each trailer, depending on options, will be different. For example, we have two battery feeds - #8 unfused wire that goes from battery to goSolar charger, AND separate #2 wire with 200A battery-mounted fuse that goes directly from battery to inverter.

However, I suspect every model has the basic two circuit breakers and wiring shown in the image - somewhere near the disconnect switch.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
Does anyone have a core DC wiring schematic for the 2019 19'?

I had typed a searing retort to what I saw wrong with the wiring in these pictures but backspaced it - if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

You might want to read http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...ues-13003.html - it will give a head start.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I had typed a searing retort to the what I saw wrong with the wiring in these pictures but backspaced it - if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

You might want to read http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...ues-13003.html - it will give a head start.
Then I have nothing to say !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:27 PM   #8

I gave it a shot based on your options and the pic you posted. The 40 amp fuse should be in the battery box. I think someone made a mistake when they wired your trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Battery wiring - weird.jpg  
Old 08-25-2019, 08:51 PM   #9

Here is how the wiring should have been. By moving a few connections around, your wiring can be corrected to this. I would change the Maxi fuse in the battery box to a 60 amp.
Attached Thumbnails
Battery wiring 19.jpg  
Old 08-26-2019, 12:34 AM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Steve made a partial wiring diagram for his specific trailer, a 15':
Escape Trailer Owners Community - Downloads - 15A Wiring Diagram

Details vary by model, by year, and by options, but that might be a reasonable starting point for someone who is willing to travel their wiring and modify the diagram where it is different.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:34 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
I recently asked the factory for a schematic of the electrics in my new 17B as I want to make some changes. I also want to know where any fuses or breakers are located. The factory replied they couldn't supply a schematic because of all the options each trailer is different.

My reply to them last Friday was, "I'm sure the basic wiring of all the trailers is the same please just send me that."
I'd really like to know how the trailers batteries, brakes, tow vehicle DC supply are interfaced. I'll let you know if get a basic diagram.
I have a background in electronics and can't imagine manufacturing a product and having it CSA certified without a schematic of the electrical system.

My distribution panel does not have any of the fuses marked. The AC breakers are all identified.

I found two circuit breakers after I removed a two ft by 5 ft piece of plywood under the mattress (about 50 wood screws). It appears one 50 A breaker is in the positive battery supply line, the other 30 A breaker is for the output from the solar charge controller.

Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark Camper View Post
I recently asked the factory for a schematic of the electrics in my new 17B as I want to make some changes. I also want to know where any fuses or breakers are located. The factory replied they couldn't supply a schematic because of all the options each trailer is different.

My reply to them last Friday was, "I'm sure the basic wiring of all the trailers is the same please just send me that."
I'd really like to know how the trailers batteries, brakes, tow vehicle DC supply are interfaced. I'll let you know if get a basic diagram.
I have a background in electronics and can't imagine manufacturing a product and having it CSA certified without a schematic of the electrical system.

My distribution panel does not have any of the fuses marked. The AC breakers are all identified.

I found two circuit breakers after I removed a two ft by 5 ft piece of plywood under the mattress (about 50 wood screws). It appears one 50 A breaker is in the positive battery supply line, the other 30 A breaker is for the output from the solar charge controller.

Bob
The diagram I posted is based on multiple Escape trailers where I have traced the wiring. Also, Ken (wetzl) helped me research Escape wiring as well.

The diagram should be good for current trailers - some don't have solar or an inverter so that part could be deleted.

All that said, it seems that the tech that does the wiring wakes up in a new world each day and sometimes does stuff like the OP's trailer wiring. His wiring doesn't even make sense - two thermal fuses and a Maxi fuse in series, all with different trip values between the battery and the converter?

The 12v wiring coming from the converter 12v panel is where there are no standards. I have yet to see two trailers wired the same.

For example, my trailer has a fuse labeled "lights" that supplies power to the 12v outlets, all the ceiling lights, half the captain lights, the Maxfan, and the bathroom fan. The other fuse labeled "lights" feeds the vent hood, the vent hood light, the kitchen lights, the other half of the captain lights, and the electric awning. I found all this from using a wiring tracer / voltmeter testing each circuit one at a time. I would rewire these circuits but the worst circuit is run under the vinyl making it too difficult to do.

So in conclusion, the circuit below should be good as a go by for the circuits up to the converter panel. The circuits coming out of the converter 12v panel would have to be circuit traced on each trailer as there doesn't seem to be any continuity in the way Escape wires these circuits.
Attached Thumbnails
Battery wiring 19.jpg  
Old 08-26-2019, 09:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark Camper View Post

Bob
You have the inverter all outlets option. Those breakers feed all the outlets powered from the inverter. When you trace out the wiring on those two breakers, you will find that one feeds one side of the trailer outlets and the other breaker feeds the other side.

Here's the problem with that. The microwave per code is supposed to be on a dedicated breaker - it's not. The microwave outlet marked "microwave only" is commoned with half the outlets in the trailer.

I replaced the two single breakers in my trailer with 2 tandem breakers and split the microwave to it's own circuit.

For those that are in the US, note that these breakers are non-CTL so they are hard to find in the US as they have been illegal to use in new installs since 1965. Canadian code still allows them so you should be able to find them easily in Canada.
https://www.schneider-electric.us/en/faqs/FA128354/
Attached Thumbnails
Breaker box.jpg  
Old 08-26-2019, 11:28 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 FWC
Quote:
I had typed a searing retort to what I saw wrong with the wiring in these pictures but backspaced it - if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Owners have posted many photos, with wiring showing, that I would apply this sentiment to.
Captm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:35 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Here is how the wiring should have been. By moving a few connections around, your wiring can be corrected to this. I would change the Maxi fuse in the battery box to a 60 amp.
should the brake disconnect be on the wrong side of the battery disconnect switch?!? I don't think so.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
should the brake disconnect be on the wrong side of the battery disconnect switch?!? I don't think so.
The way Escape has wired all the trailers I have seen so far, the brake disconnect, the power tongue jack, and the TV 7 pin connector are all powered off one wire ran from after the disconnect switch to one lug in the 7 pin wiring junction box. I guess that is OK to have it connected like that as the only time the battery disconnect switch should be off is when the trailer is in storage.

I rewired my trailer with a separate wire run from before the disconnect to the trailer brakes and left the wire Escape ran connected after the disconnect to the 7 pin connector and power tongue jack. I liked the idea of having the emergency brake to be always hot as well. Below is the wiring diagram for my trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Battery wiring.jpg  
Old 08-26-2019, 12:48 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
The way Escape has wired all the trailers I have seen so far, the brake disconnect, the power tongue jack, and the TV 7 pin connector are all powered off one wire ran from after the disconnect switch to one lug in the 7 pin wiring junction box. I guess that is OK to have it connected like that as the only time the battery disconnect switch should be off is when the trailer is in storage.

I rewired my trailer with a separate wire run from before the disconnect to the trailer brakes and left the wire Escape ran connected after the disconnect to the 7 pin connector and power tongue jack. I liked the idea of having the emergency brake to be always hot as well. Below is the wiring diagram for my trailer.
Tom reading this post this morning . Have a question . In the past rv’s if we weren’t using the ac , it was off , the switch in the converter box . We now need the ac to be on all the time or some circuits won’t work . Our last trip I asked Linda are all the switches in converter box on because the tv wouldn’t work . She said yes . I said turn all the switches off and back on . Still wouldn't work except for the ac switch which she knows if we aren’t using is supposed to be off . She turned the ac switch on and now the tv works . It has to be on . I thought the microwave and ac are on their own circuits ? How do I go about checking ? Would I shut everything off except the battery cut off switch ? Flip one switch at a time and see what else comes on with that switch no matter what it is labeled ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:29 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That battery switch is for 12v dc current- ie the name, "battery switch". As far as the television only working when the air conditioning breaker is active, that just means that more than one item is on that circuit, just like at home, you throw a circuit and some lights and outlets are off, others are on. Each circuit has it's own "Circuit". So you throw each breaker and then go around and test things, that way you will find your answer. Breakers are not made to be your "on/off" switch, so having just one thing on one breaker circuit just so you can turn it on/off from the breaker is not prudent.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Tom reading this post this morning . Have a question . In the past rv’s if we weren’t using the ac , it was off , the switch in the converter box . We now need the ac to be on all the time or some circuits won’t work . Our last trip I asked Linda are all the switches in converter box on because the tv wouldn’t work . She said yes . I said turn all the switches off and back on . Still wouldn't work except for the ac switch which she knows if we aren’t using is supposed to be off . She turned the ac switch on and now the tv works . It has to be on . I thought the microwave and ac are on their own circuits ? How do I go about checking ? Would I shut everything off except the battery cut off switch ? Flip one switch at a time and see what else comes on with that switch no matter what it is labeled ? Pat
Jim already answered correctly but I'll throw in my two cents. Escape only has a limited number of breaker slots to wire the circuits to so they double up on some breakers.

If you open the converter panel cover, you will see a number of circuits are doubled up on a single breaker. That's why when you turn off a breaker, more than one device loses power. Not the best choice but that is what they did.

Of course, right away I redid the breakers so each circuit has it's own breaker by using tandem breakers to replace the single ones. Below is a pic of my breaker panel.

Are you getting the idea that most of my trailer wiring has been upgraded / modified by now?
Attached Thumbnails
Breaker Panel.jpg  
Old 08-26-2019, 04:24 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Are you getting the idea that most of my trailer wiring has been upgraded / modified by now?

If it makes you happy.