2018 Escape 21 battery box - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2019, 11:48 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
2018 Escape 21 battery box

Have new trailer, less than one year old, super nice, I love it. Today, I checked the water level in batteries, I have 2 6 volt battery option. Was surprised cover on plastic box battery was loose/ off the box. The retaining wood stick was off. Any battery fumes were being released inside trailer, not a good thing.

Maybe batteries should to be directly retained, rather than just sitting in the box, rather than just having the box retained? I don't know, but plan to work with what I have. I plan to make another top stick with holes for the retaining rods, rather than the slots that allow the retaining rods to slip free. Probably all it needs, should be easy fix.

Fortunately, very easy to look at batteries from time to time to make sure all is well. If you have Escape 21 with batteries under the rear passenger side dinette seat, and haven't looked at for awhile, you might want to check. Cheers
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
Have new trailer, less than one year old, super nice, I love it. Today, I checked the water level in batteries, I have 2 6 volt battery option. Was surprised cover on plastic box battery was loose/ off the box. The retaining wood stick was off. Any battery fumes were being released inside trailer, not a good thing.

Maybe batteries should to be directly retained, rather than just sitting in the box, rather than just having the box retained? I don't know, but plan to work with what I have. I plan to make another top stick with holes for the retaining rods, rather than the slots that allow the retaining rods to slip free. Probably all it needs, should be easy fix.

Fortunately, very easy to look at batteries from time to time to make sure all is well. If you have Escape 21 with batteries under the rear passenger side dinette seat, and haven't looked at for awhile, you might want to check. Cheers
The battery box cover in the 21' is supposed to be sealed using electrical duct seal which makes removing / installing the box cover somewhat difficult.

Checking the water level in the batteries is something that needs to done periodically so I did this mod.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ller-9641.html
Old 04-15-2019, 01:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Hydrogen (the gas produced by charging the batteries) is the lightest & thinnest gas. Since the battery box vent is 1/3rd the way down the height of the box, it is going to leak out around the top unless you have a perfect seal, something that has not happened with mine. I've added a rubber seal, packed more duct seal, etc and still have my propane detector going off after a heavy charge cycle.

I solved adding battery water with a battery watering system. Solves removing the cover, playing with a turkey baster or what ever to get to the back battery, etc.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
These problems have been pointed out to Reace and Co. and I'm hoping a change will result in the E21 battery location.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:07 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Older trailers like mine have holes in the hold down as opposed to slots. I can see where the slots would make removing the hold down easier, it is a little bit of a hassle to remove it where it is with the holes.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:27 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I solved adding battery water with a battery watering system. Solves removing the cover, playing with a turkey baster or what ever to get to the back battery, etc.
Jon - Does the Pro-Fill tube remain inside the battery case, so that you have to remove the top of the case anyway? It would seem so from the Pro-Fill webpage.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:45 PM   #7

On my installation, the plastic battery box top lid has the two sided tape on the inside, but the adhesive strip cover was not removed on the side facing the box, so it's only glued to the inside of the top lid. Since the battery box top lid was not taped to the top of the box, it was easy to remove, or easy to come loose as the case may be.

As installed in my trailer, I'm not confident the seal at the top of the battery box is adequate to keep any hydrogen out of the trailer. Also, as mentioned, having the vent duct at the bottom of the box appears to be bad design, would maybe be better located towards the top?

I haven't heard any reports of Escape 21's blowing up from hydrogen gas accumulating inside, so I guess I will go with what I have. However, I think will make a retaining stick with holes instead of the slots. Maybe a little more trouble to install, but maybe will keep the top lid on better. Plus, I will probably try to make a better seal between the top lid and the box. I guess if I make the retaining stick too secure, next time it will pull the retaining rod anchors from the side of the box?

I wonder how the battery box was attached to the trailer floor? Seems very secure, I suspect was glued to the floor?
Old 04-15-2019, 09:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Jon - Does the Pro-Fill tube remain inside the battery case, so that you have to remove the top of the case anyway? It would seem so from the Pro-Fill webpage.
I have the same battery filler system as Jon. You don't have to remove the battery case top to fill the batteries with water. If you look at the following thread link, it has how the system is installed.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:03 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
I went with 6v AGMs. They charge faster, produce less or no hydrogen, and don't need water top up. But they are more expensive. So many compromises...
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:40 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
The battery box cover in the 21' is supposed to be sealed using electrical duct seal which makes removing / installing the box cover somewhat difficult.

Checking the water level in the batteries is something that needs to done periodically so I did this mod.

electrical duct seal that is not how the battery box in my 21 is set up. When was this change made?

FWIW .. I've never been a fan of how our 21 12V system was set up and I'm about to move all of the electrical (dual 6V) into the rear hatch...
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:47 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
On my installation, the plastic battery box top lid has the two sided tape on the inside, but the adhesive strip cover was not removed on the side facing the box, so it's only glued to the inside of the top lid. Since the battery box top lid was not taped to the top of the box, it was easy to remove, or easy to come loose as the case may be.

As installed in my trailer, I'm not confident the seal at the top of the battery box is adequate to keep any hydrogen out of the trailer. Also, as mentioned, having the vent duct at the bottom of the box appears to be bad design, would maybe be better located towards the top?

I haven't heard any reports of Escape 21's blowing up from hydrogen gas accumulating inside, so I guess I will go with what I have. However, I think will make a retaining stick with holes instead of the slots. Maybe a little more trouble to install, but maybe will keep the top lid on better. Plus, I will probably try to make a better seal between the top lid and the box. I guess if I make the retaining stick too secure, next time it will pull the retaining rod anchors from the side of the box?

I wonder how the battery box was attached to the trailer floor? Seems very secure, I suspect was glued to the floor?
Good Grief .. this describes my battery box .. I had just assumed the tape inside the lid was some sort of foam tape
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:04 AM   #12

My box was bolted to the floor and the tape was purposely left with one side adhesive and one side with the adhesive strip attached, think about your situation if the adhesive had been removed? This allows removal without tearing off the tape which is supposed to seal around the top.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:07 AM   #13

thanks for replies, good info...
Old 04-16-2019, 05:46 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Heaven View Post
electrical duct seal that is not how the battery box in my 21 is set up. When was this change made?

FWIW .. I've never been a fan of how our 21 12V system was set up and I'm about to move all of the electrical (dual 6V) into the rear hatch...
Weight distribution may have been part of the original rationale
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:35 AM   #15

I just checked my dual six volt electrolyte level. The lid was on, there is one slip side and one thru the bolt side on the lid hold down stick, mine was tight. All the plates are cover with liquid so I did not add any. But there is maybe 1" air space between liquid and top of battery case. I was thinking od adding but then had second thoughts. Filling it all the up could cause leaks considering the batteries are in the rear of a bouncing trailer. that space is a cushion of air to allow some splashing without damage. Am I thinking correct or do others fill the liquid all the way to the top. I remember using a battery filler as a teenager working in gas stations that you would stick in the hole and it would shut off once the liquid touched the lip of the filler. Maybe 12v automotive are treated different?
Old 08-16-2019, 11:39 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I just checked my dual six volt electrolyte level. The lid was on, there is one slip side and one thru the bolt side on the lid hold down stick, mine was tight. All the plates are cover with liquid so I did not add any. But there is maybe 1" air space between liquid and top of battery case. I was thinking od adding but then had second thoughts. Filling it all the up could cause leaks considering the batteries are in the rear of a bouncing trailer. that space is a cushion of air to allow some splashing without damage. Am I thinking correct or do others fill the liquid all the way to the top. I remember using a battery filler as a teenager working in gas stations that you would stick in the hole and it would shut off once the liquid touched the lip of the filler. Maybe 12v automotive are treated different?
There is a lip in the neck of the filler. A full battery cell is to just below the lip, never to the top of the well.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:57 AM   #17

So as long as the plates are covered everything is fine?
Old 08-16-2019, 12:15 PM   #18

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've not heard where as long as the plates are covered you are good to go. supposed to be like Jon says.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:23 PM   #19

Trailer: TBD
In my youth I was instructed that as long as the plates are covered you are good but the correct fill was to the "ring" at the bottom of the filler.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:12 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Maybe 12v automotive are treated different?
No, in both cases there is a correct fill level (measured at fully charged). That level leaves a substantial air space, and ensures that the plates stay covered under all conditions. There are various ways that the level is marked, including a line in the case (with translucent cases), the bottom of the tubes, or markings in the tubes), depending on the make and model of battery.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote