AC and Heater issues - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2016, 11:01 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
AC and Heater issues

Hello everyone,
I guess its my turn to ask for some advice. I'm on a short campout and my heater and ac have become too friendly. Seems that if I'm plugged in to 110 v and turn on my heater my air conditioner comes on at the same time. Both trying to do what they do best and both running perfectly except I don't need heat and cold at the same time.

I'm not sure where to begin looking for the problem. I suspect that its my digital thermostat / on off switch that is the culprit. Any suggestions to diagnos short of replacement? My trailer is still new enough to me that I have not had a conversation with its inner workings so I'm shy about ripping and snorting (my usual) until find out more.

Of course I'm out camping and its a Sunday.

Anyway thanks ahead for any suggestions.

Tom
Old 07-24-2016, 11:05 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Hello everyone,
I guess its my turn to ask for some advice. I'm on a short campout and my heater and ac have become too friendly. Seems that if I'm plugged in to 110 v and turn on my heater my air conditioner comes on at the same time. Both trying to do what they do best and both running perfectly except I don't need heat and cold at the same time.

I'm not sure where to begin looking for the problem. I suspect that its my digital thermostat / on off switch that is the culprit. Any suggestions to diagnos short of replacement? My trailer is still new enough to me that I have not had a conversation with its inner workings so I'm shy about ripping and snorting (my usual) until find out more.

Of course I'm out camping and its a Sunday.

Anyway thanks ahead for any suggestions.

Tom
Hi: Starving Hyena... Is your digi thermostat set on "Aux"? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:06 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I too would think it would be with the thermostat, and it likely could be with the selector switch. I would open it up and check the connections and that there are not any shorted wires. Otherwise it could be something with the switch itself. I would then disconnect the leads to the A/C and see if the furnace is still working fine.

I am not familiar with this thermostat, but just assume it is similar to lots I have seen in houses. Hopefully it is something simple to work out, either by a setting or a quick fix.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:26 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe there is a manual in your paper work explaining the thermostat's operation. If my memory serves me, set your speed to low and then set it to cool, not auto. Try that
Old 07-24-2016, 11:49 AM   #5

Thanks Alf
No "Aux" settings. Operates as such: push on/ off button .... fan option lights up ( there is no fan), push button again and "cooling" option lights up -allowing a temp setting for AC, push button again and the heater option lights up also allowing a temp setting for heater.

Mmmmmm ...... wonder if my temp setting for AC is set low enough that it wants to come on at 'need heat temps'? Excuse me while I turn on the power bush.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:57 AM   #6

There are three leads coming from the wall into the thermo box. Need a jewlers screw driver to disconnect any of those leads. Can't see any shorting wires.

Tools available:

1) multi meter
2) analog brain struggling with a digital world
3) Viking hammer, extra large size, designed in the 9th century for quick repair of all things digital
Old 07-24-2016, 11:59 AM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The fan it speaks of is the one in the AC.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:02 PM   #8

You are right Jim and I am one who should have this tatoo'ed to the inside of his eye lids " if all else fails READ THE DIRECTIONS. I did read all the manuals when I first got my trailer ..... time for a review.

Thank you
Old 07-24-2016, 12:04 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Thanks Alf
No "Aux" settings. Operates as such: push on/ off button .... fan option lights up ( there is no fan), push button again and "cooling" option lights up -allowing a temp setting for AC, push button again and the heater option lights up also allowing a temp setting for heater.

Mmmmmm ...... wonder if my temp setting for AC is set low enough that it wants to come on at 'need heat temps'? Excuse me while I turn on the power bush.
Hi: StarvingHyena... Sorry I too am not familiar with the digi set up!!! We have Manual A/C with controls on the unit and separate furnace w/ thermostat. I'd need to study a digi thermostat manual first!!! If at first I don't succeed I'll call somebody that can. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:20 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
We had the same problem if you read the small instruction manual you will find the correct answer. Do Not Take the thermostat apart. When we first tried to turn on the heater we had the same problem . The thermostat fan setting needs to read auto after that push the button for heat and set the temp. With the air it's the same push the button for air set temp. and the air will come on . My wife read the instructions while I was off getting the proper tool tools to take the thermostat apart. When I got back she had the heat running and a smug look on her face and said see I fixed it. Also you running the air on the low setting seems to work well.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:25 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Or leave the trailer and have your wife read the instructions and when you get back it will be all better.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 02:04 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
2yax has it in spades. The fan should be in Auto and then select heating or cooling and set your temp.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 02:39 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
2yax2go has my manual, so he is correct.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:04 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
When you turn on the digital thermostat to the first position (FAN), it should read eithe hi, low, or aux (only 3 choices). You change these with the + and - buttons. If should be set to aux (or auto, I don't remember which) but push the + or - button to cycle through them. Once it is set to aux/auto, you should be able to go to cool or heat and they should run independently.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:11 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
My Penguin II has strictly manual controls. After AC installation a year or more ago (I forget), 10 days ago it was a hundred degrees outside. I used the AC for the second time ever. Manual is simple, right? There are two dials, analog all the way.

I see the words “AC Fan” on the left dial so naturally I think that turns AC on. I don’t see good without my readers. Paid no attention to the cute little symbol on the right dial. See it? A snowflake. Maybe the intense heat was frying my cognitive ganglions. Half an hour later we are still baking slowly, it’s even blowing warm air, and I am having a Lewis Black moment. Thinking the damn thing is broke, we are fricazeed. (No offense, but it is a Dometic.)

No amount of dial fiddling changes the situation. I finally resort to digging out the Operators Manual. Thank goodness I always bring my 3-inch thick loose leaf notebook of Escape Vital Documents on a trip. Page 9 has Fig.14, showing the controls. I quote: “Model…has a five position Selector switch including “OFF”. This controls fan speed and cooling modes. See Fig. 14.”

But …a Big Butt… Figure 14 diagram does not explain, specify or identify the key fact that that cute little snowflake is meant to represent the cooling control thermostat. Oh, great, chalk one up for the brevity boys who wrote this manual. Only two controls, the left one is labeled “AC” (!) and, the right one has a snowflake you need a telescope to see.

My readers on, figured out my mistake. Cold air begins, Lewis Black moment over.
Attached Thumbnails
ACdials.jpg