accidentally turned on stove top burner - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2019, 04:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
accidentally turned on stove top burner

I have the 2018 Escape 21 with oven option and 3 top burners.

OK, was senior moment. I smelled gas, then propane alarm went off. I opened windows, turned on maxfan, reset propane alarm, and all was well for awhile. Then alarm goes off again. It's late and I'm a little foggy, and can't figure it out. I decided must be faulty propane detector?, people often post about false propane alarms. I smelled gas, but wasn't sure it was propane?, blackwater tank was full and maybe was smelling that? Anyway, I turned off propane detector, allowed for plenty of ventilation and went to sleep.

Next morning when I lit a top burner, I was surprised a second burner also lit. WOW!, guess I'm lucky to be OK. Then, I started thinking how was I turning on the top burner. Took awhile to figure out, but I recently started hanging kitchen towels form the oven handle, and discovered it's very easy to push on a control knob for the top burner, and turn it on.

Maybe I'm the only one that will ever do this, accidentally turn on a top burner, but heads up, it's easy to do, and obviously very dangerous. Cheers
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
I have the 2018 Escape 21 with oven option and 3 top burners.

OK, was senior moment. I smelled gas, then propane alarm went off. I opened windows, turned on maxfan, reset propane alarm, and all was well for awhile. Then alarm goes off again. It's late and I'm a little foggy, and can't figure it out. I decided must be faulty propane detector?, people often post about false propane alarms. I smelled gas, but wasn't sure it was propane?, blackwater tank was full and maybe was smelling that? Anyway, I turned off propane detector, allowed for plenty of ventilation and went to sleep.

Next morning when I lit a top burner, I was surprised a second burner also lit. WOW!, guess I'm lucky to be OK. Then, I started thinking how was I turning on the top burner. Took awhile to figure out, but I recently started hanging kitchen towels form the oven handle, and discovered it's very easy to push on a control knob for the top burner, and turn it on.

Maybe I'm the only one that will ever do this, accidentally turn on a top burner, but heads up, it's easy to do, and obviously very dangerous. Cheers
No your not the only one to do it. I’ve done the same thing working in the trailer and most likely hitting the center handle with my hip. My alarm went off before I actually smelled the gas. Aired things out and back to work. My wife who is vertically challenged has turned them on reaching over the stove to get things out of the upper cupboard. It doesn’t take much. Now i’vejust trained myself to glance at the knobs when inside.
I don’t believe that i would have disconnected it with out figuring it out or having a back up. Regardless of how foggy it was inside. At least you had the good foresight to open windows and vents. Its a learning experience. I carry a battery operated one in the cupboard over the dinette in case. By the way glad your still with us.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 5 TA
I would have shut off propane tanks before I shut off the detector if I were you. Glad you did not get hurt, lessons learned and taught by submitting this post. Thanks
Greg and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Glad everything is ok and that you were not harmed. Unfortunately due to cost and lack of requirement most RV stovetops/ovens do not have safety flame-out systems. Those of us that have retrofitted a Dickinson Marine cooktop or oven have benefited from the technology. ETI at one time would install the Dickinson cooktop in any trailer except the 17 if it was sent to the factory. Not sure if that is still the case. They are pricey, but wanted to point this out as some people are very hesitant with regard to propane fuel and would be willing to pay more for peace of mind.

“BURNER SAFETY FLAME-OUT
Each burner is equipped with a thermo-couple safety sensor. Should the flame accidentally be extinguished the sensor will automatically turn-off the gas supply to the burner. In addition, should the burner not ignite on start-up the gas will not continue to flow to the burner when the control knob is released.”
Old 09-11-2019, 04:42 PM   #5

Trailer: ?
An easy fix.
In order to turn on the range burners or oven, the knob must be pushed in towards the range and then turned to release the gas.
There is a gap of some 3/8” between the range and the back of the plastic knob. Simply fill that gap to prevent the knob from being pushed in.
I used a piece of foam rubber from a sleeping bag ground pad. Simply put it between the knob and range.
The foam rubber adds enough resistance to prevent the knob from being depressed.
Remove it when you need to light the range or oven.

Amazon sells plastic covers for these knobs, as well.

Whether they fit or not, I do not know.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00068O22S...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Attached Thumbnails
0DEA777E-278A-4D27-87AB-404E1107579Fa.jpg  
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Thanks for replies, Ed, good idea!, I see you hang kitchen towels on oven handle too lols. Think I'm OK with the way it is, now that I know the danger. Cheers
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote