Accumulator Tanks - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2019, 09:38 AM   #1

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Accumulator Tanks

How big an accumulator tank did you install? I put in a supposed 1/2 gallon one, checked it today and it only outputs 16 oz before the water pump kicks on. That's like one midnight flush. For me that's not enough.

From what I can find, normal draw down is 1/2 or less then the stated capacity.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:21 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Accumulator Tanks

Ours is even smaller, .75L or .2 gal. I’m happy with this size as it nicely smooths out the pressure flow, eliminating the spurt-spurt-spurt that a straight water pump delivers, as well as dramatically quieting pump operation. We didn’t install the accumulator to eliminate pump actuation, yet find it does reduce it quite a bit. Not as much as yours though. I haven’t measured how much water is delivered between pumpings, but it’s definitely far less than 16 oz. But with the acoustic damping and the smooth fluid flow, I find I don’t really care how often the pump runs now, as it’s so quiet that I have to strain to hear it at all and any ambient noise overrides it. I’m sure various mounting methods produce varying results in this regard.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:37 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
We only turn the pump on when we need water, so, for us, the sound of the pump running is reassuring.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I think the new pressure pumps handle on/off cycling better than older design. For me it was to limit sound of pump, especially through night with flushing toilet.

I installed in our last RV the small Jabsco and got poor results for holding capacity between pump cut in. You may want to play with internal tank pressure to hope for more bladder expansion. This may be reducing pressure not adding.

In a boat I previously owned, I installed a 1 gallon Groco tank and got excellent results. Could turn tap on/ off multiple times. Instead of limited space like my previous van conversion, I now have a trailer where this may be possible.
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:09 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I checked with Shurflo, my pump goes on at 40 psi and off at 55. Shouldn't see much surging without the accumulator, unlike my last trailer where the water almost stopped before the pump went on. Best I could come up with for the accumulator is a few psi under the turn on psi, per a coach forum. It was 17, it's now 35, not that I can tell any difference.

Every time the pump goes on at night the puppy wakes up and wants to play.
Old 11-06-2020, 06:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
Our accumulator tank is about two gallons. The pressure is adjustable. I think I have it down to about 20 lbs.? It holds a gallon, or a gallon and a half. I like that it prevents the pump from going on every time you open a tap. And, for those middle of the night trips to the loo the pump doesn't go on, waking a sleeping partner. I put a gate valve in front of the tank to keep antifreeze out of the tank when I winterize. Pic available on request.
Gary
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:44 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgman51 View Post
Our accumulator tank is about two gallons. The pressure is adjustable. I think I have it down to about 20 lbs.? It holds a gallon, or a gallon and a half. I like that it prevents the pump from going on every time you open a tap. And, for those middle of the night trips to the loo the pump doesn't go on, waking a sleeping partner. I put a gate valve in front of the tank to keep antifreeze out of the tank when I winterize. Pic available on request.
Gary
Yes, please post pic in this thread for the benefit of all. THANKS!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I installed the small tank and we find it smooths the flow out and the pump of course does not come on every single time we open the tap. We actually keep the pump off much of the time in case we forget to turn it off when we are not in the trailer. Works great to do a few small flushes during the night as to not wake up the grandchild.

Here is a picture of the small tank with a link to the install for new members that my want to see how it is done.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post287086
Attached Thumbnails
366B60F1-FDFD-4A60-8F00-879FE9072E08.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Ditto what he said.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0007_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:35 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
🤔 just a thought, is it absolutely necessary to flush in the middle of the night?
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
�� just a thought, is it absolutely necessary to flush in the middle of the night?
#1 maybe not, however #2 could scar a young child’s mind for many years of found in the night.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 11:56 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
Accumulator Tank

This is the tank I installed. Again, I think it's 2 gal.? The tank is right after the water pump. The valve in front of the tank is to close it off for winterizing after draining.
Attached Thumbnails
20201107_113642.jpg  
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 03:16 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA, pulled w/ 2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins 4x4 SRW LWB
I also installed a 2 gallon accumulator. From the top of the pump pressure cycle I can run 44 ounces (measured) before the pump comes on.

Specific details in post 187 from link below, photo of accumulator installation in post 155 ( I was not successful when I tried to copy and paste a photo from this forum thread).

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...e-7807-10.html

After writing the above posts I subsequently relocated the ETI installed check valve from the cold water inlet on the water heater, to a location just downstream of the pump. The weak check valve in the pump is still protected, but the hot water side of the plumbing is no longer isolated from the accumulator, consequently the water heater pressure relief valve no longer vents when I turn on the water heater. The water heater manual specifically recommends against the installation of a check valve at the cold water inlet, but that is how ETI plumbed our trailer. See also posts 164, 171 and 173 from above thread.
SWCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 12:54 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I replaced the pump and found that solved the problem with excessive pump running. Yes, I adjusted the pump numerous time and carefully checked the filter. So if that is your issue the accumulator may be masking a failing pump.

The pump repair kit was 1/2 the price of a new pump and the accumulator was the same cost as a new pump. A gamble whatever way you decide.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:29 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Some of us who have used pump systems for years just add an accumulator tank when we buy the trailer. Not because of any pump problem we're trying to mask but simply because of the benefits outlined several times in this thread.

Our pump spends a lot of time "off" yet we still get enough water for small needs, even flushing the toilet. And less cycles on and off have to help extend the pump life.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 06:25 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Having grown up on a residential well system and knowing that once your pump goes you are more or less "dead in the water" until fixed. I installed the largest accumulator tank my pump could handle to prevent the "on/off" cycling each flush which wears out the pump. We would watch our flush schedule and passed it on to our children who still remember the poetic sayings.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:01 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
I installed a 2-gallon SS Shurflo in our 15A. Works great.
dstreight is offline   Reply With Quote