Adding a 30 A 12V circuit - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Old 03-27-2015, 10:50 PM   #31
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I can't speak for all the Escape wiring methods, but the original wiring for my 17B used #10 wire. The ground ran from the battery to the converter, with an additional wire from the converter to the trailer frame. The + side ran from the battery through a 30 amp thermal breaker & to the disconnect switch, then to the converter.

All loads had both positive & negative wires; the frame was not used as a current carrying conductor for the trailer wiring...
I believe that's normal for the 17, but some other models do use the frame as part of the path from battery negative to the converter and DC distribution panel. If that's what I get, it won't stay that way.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:02 PM   #32
Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
The radio is up and running

I really didn’t want to drill holes in “Escaping Reality” to get power from the batteries; finally I realized the wires coming into the trailer terminate at the inverter. Why not take the radio circuit from there? So using fused 10 AWG wires I made a short 3 foot run terminating with an Anderson PowerPole. The 8 foot fused power supply that comes with the radio is 12 AWG so I’m quite comfortable with what I’m using. Heck, the radio uses less than 10A.

Next came deciding where the body of the radio and tuner should be located. My first try in an overhead cabinet looked like s disaster with ugly wires hanging down. Not only did it look ugly but would be something for Gonzo th’ Dawg to get tangled in. I looked under the rear seat again and saw plenty of unused room so off to Home Depot for cleats, Velcro and a plastic container large enough to hold everything. Screw down the cleats, cut a couple slots at the bottom of the container to thread the Velcro through, cut a hole in the back for the antenna wire, cinch everything down and wola, project complete, I think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wire Route 1.jpg (124.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Terminating with the Anderson PowerPole.jpg 1.jpg (105.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Ugly Wires Showing 1.jpg (259.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Radio & Tuner in a Plastic Container 1.jpg (231.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg And the Radio Works 1.jpg (273.6 KB, 17 views)

Life is Good
When "Escaping Reality" Sold 5/2016
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote