Adding Inverter - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2019, 08:39 AM   #1

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
Adding Inverter

After picking up our 2019 21 in May and using it over the last few months I think I may be rethinking my position on the Go Power Inverter. When ordering I felt that I really only needed 110v ac when using the A/C, I am finding a few diffrent times that I would like to use the microwave, but I did not feel like hooking up the Honda generator. So on to the question, has anyone added the Gp SW1500TS inverter to the factory solar setup with the two 6v battery option. Looks like I would need the inverter and small breaker box. I would like to set this up to power all the plugs.
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:57 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I added my own to my 17B. You need to increase the wire size between the batteries & the inverter to at least #4 (I used #0) (Don't forget the jumper wire between the batteries), and include a 200 amp fuse. Many also include a 200 amp switch in the inverter feed.

If you want "Whole House" (all the receptacles) you will need a transfer switch & a 2 circuit breaker box (one for the 120V receptacles & the other for the microwave).
Old 07-27-2019, 09:07 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I ended up adding one, and after searching all over for the best deal, I actually bought the inverter and 2 breaker panel from Reace whose price was better than I could get anywhere else. I did find the transfer switch quite cheap on eBay from someone who bought it but never used it. You could check with Dave in parts to see what the cost would be.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:45 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buellfire View Post
I would like to set this up to power all the plugs.
I added a small pure-sinewave inverter to our E'21. Don't have a microwave so our largest load is the electric mattress pad plus a bunch of chargers. Since I wanted to power all the plugs I connect the inverter to the 110AC circuit via a Widow Maker. (Probably the most dangerous/stupid way to connect.)

400 Watt inverter, #4 ga wire, dedicated 50 amp fuse.
--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I ended up adding one, and after searching all over for the best deal, I actually bought the inverter and 2 breaker panel from Reace whose price was better than I could get anywhere else. I did find the transfer switch quite cheap on eBay from someone who bought it but never used it. You could check with Dave in parts to see what the cost would be.
Just a heads up for those that live in the USA.

The 2 breaker panel Reace uses for the all outlet option meets Canadian electrical code but is non-CTL, does not meet NEC and is not UL rated as well.

Since 1965, electrical breaker boxes have been required to prevent installing more circuit breakers than it was designed for and are rated CTL. Installation of non-CTL panels has been illegal in the US since 1965.

Installing the non-CTL panel from Escape in the US is a violation of the NEC and US law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_total_limitation
Old 07-27-2019, 10:52 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Shawn,
looks like you will be moving to Canada...........let us know how that works out....
Old 07-27-2019, 10:54 AM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
You need to increase the wire size between the batteries & the inverter to at least #4 (I used #0) (Don't forget the jumper wire between the batteries), and include a 200 amp fuse.
Typical installations (including Escape's factory setup) don't upgrade the existing wires to the battery; they add separate heavy-gauge wires for the inverter directly to the battery (leaving the wiring to the power centre alone).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:39 AM   #8

Thanks for the replies guys! I will check with Dave in Parts on Monday, hopefully ETI just offers a complete kit with all needed parts. Checking with them was a good idea which I really did not consider with the boarder crossing and all. Jim, while Canada is a beautiful place and many are luck to live there, I will stay in the Bluegrass state, "Gateway to the South! We had hoped to attend the Niagara Falls Rally in Sept, however our trip to Maine and its needed two weeks of vacation did not line up with the rally. Maybe next time.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:45 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We too hope to make it next year also........
Old 08-23-2019, 12:15 PM   #10

Trailer: None yet but would like a 19'
I was hoping to pick the brain of someone who has done their own inverter install. Is the routing of all the wiring fairly accessible in order to run larger gage wires and add th transfer switch etc...?
Marty_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 03:46 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_3000 View Post
Is the routing of all the wiring fairly accessible in order to run larger gage wires and add th transfer switch etc...?
The 19' has the batteries on the tongue (in the optional storage box or in their own boxes if you don't get the optional box), and everything else is inside, so you need to run the extra wires through the fiberglass shell; it's accessible, but not trivial.

If you use the same transfer switch as Escape, it just attached to the back of the power centre.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:19 PM   #12

Thanks for the reply. So it is possible but not a breeze. Do you know where the existing battery wires penetrate through the fibreglass shell. My main concern about doing it myself would be trying to avoid enlarging an existing hole or making any new holes through the fibreglass shell
Old 08-23-2019, 04:27 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
What is it that you want to run off of an inverter?
I have a $58 200Watt Canadian Tire inverter that plugs into a 12V outlet. I also have a $9.99 CT 75Watt inverter that does the same. I use them to charge my MacBook Air, iPhone and SLR.
Everything else I take care of with propane.
Old 08-23-2019, 04:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
What is it that you want to run off of an inverter?
I have a $58 200Watt Canadian Tire inverter that plugs into a 12V outlet. I also have a $9.99 CT 75Watt inverter that does the same. I use them to charge my MacBook Air, iPhone and SLR.
Everything else I take care of with propane.
That is a good point. It would mostly be for charging electronics etc... I just wanted to get a better idea of how difficult an install a larger inverter would be after the initial build. Mostly to do with possible cable routing and penetrating the shell.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:03 PM   #15

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Biggest stumbling block I ran into was getting cable big enough for the inverter but that I could still bend to route. Also coming up with an acceptable way to terminate the large cables. Even with my batteries 3 feet from the inverter it wasn't a cake walk. When all was done I came to the conclusion that paying ETI to install one would have been worth the $, I didn't save much if anything and put a good deal of time into the project. I did however end up with the equipment I wanted.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:42 PM   #16

I used #2 wire even though the pro at the solar shop said for a 1500W feed of less than 6 feet #4 would work. No trouble bending into place.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-23-2019, 08:00 PM   #17

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
No such thing as a local expert around here. Come to think of it I don't think I've seen another RV with solar, other then mine, without traveling out west. I tried using #0 but had to fall back to #2 for the above reason.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:56 PM   #18

I'm an electrician so access to ultra flexible battery cable is not a problem for me. And I don't mind putting in the time to do it. I just wanted to know the feasibility of doing an inverter install after the fact. So that it is still a professional looking install. Sometimes you are right it is better just to pay up front for it to be done in the correct sequence
Old 08-23-2019, 09:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_3000 View Post
I'm an electrician so access to ultra flexible battery cable is not a problem for me. And I don't mind putting in the time to do it. I just wanted to know the feasibility of doing an inverter install after the fact. So that it is still a professional looking install. Sometimes you are right it is better just to pay up front for it to be done in the correct sequence
I installed my own inverter as well as the transfer switch. By the time I got everything done I had saved a measly $150. Though not tough in the 5.0TA I would definitely get it done by Escape.

With the 19 it would be a bit tougher with the batteries in the storage box and the panel inside, but I still don't think it would be terrible. Still, if you are certain you would want one you might consider Escape installing it.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:29 PM   #20

I have been piecing my inverter setup together. I ended up purchasing the correct go power 1500w inverter and transfer switch from Amazon. Locating the 2ga wire for the DC side has been challenging and I still have not found a sub panel that I'm happy with. In the end I will save a bit of money, however if I had to do this again, I would order this option from the factory. When ordering this was the primary option that I wavered on, should have listened to my gut!