Adding More Solar than 160 Watts - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2015, 04:13 PM   #71

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Thanks

Old 12-18-2015, 04:44 PM   #72

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
One of the things that attracts me to the Minnkota is that like the removable shore power receptacle it shouldn't allow any access route for mice and insects. (Now that I've been won over into the removable cord camp - well at least for now )

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:52 PM   #73

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
(Now that I've been won over into the removable cord camp - well at least for now )
I've had them on two trailers with removable cords and I don't recall ever saying that I wanted to go back to a shove it in the hole cord.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:58 PM   #74

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I've had them on two trailers with removable cords and I don't recall ever saying that I wanted to go back to a shove it in the hole cord.

Ron
Thanks Ron, that's what I keep hearing...

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 05:24 PM   #75

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
If you look at the Samlex website, they have "solar panel branch connectors" that you can use them to hook up their portable panels to the 30 Amp controller even with the 150w fixed option ETI uses. Keep in mind that Escape no longer uses Samlex solar panels for their trailers, they have gone back to GoPower for some reason.
Porsche Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 05:48 PM   #76

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
One interesting problem that has happened with my added on Solar Blvd 160 watt panel.

I don't quite understand what is going on:

Overnight, running the furnace & doing a bit of reading, I was down by 30 amp hours (via the TriMetric 2025 battery monitor). At 9:00AM, the roof top panels (a 95 watt GoPower & a paralleled 100 Watt matched voltage panel) produce 2 amps of charging current (very low angle winter sun). I plug in the portable 160 watt Solar Blvd panel (a higher voltage panel) into the input of the GoPower controller & the charging current jumps to 10 amps @ 14.6 - 14.7 volts. Everything goes as expected until the GoPower controller decided the battery is full & switched to the float mode (13.6 volts).

At that point the charging current drops to 0 amps or even negative (pulling current out of the batteries) even though there is 355 watts of solar panels connected and the batteries are still down by 10 amp hours according to the TriMetric.

What is even stranger is that if I unplug the portable panel, the GoPower controller jumps the current back to 2-3 amps of charging current, and if I add an additional load such as my computer, it jumps up to 5-6 amps. Plug the portable panel back in & the current out of the GoPower controller drops back to 0.

It seems to be a new development - in the past I've been able to leave the portable panel connected all day; now I have to unplug it when the GoPower controller decides the batteries are full.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-18-2015, 06:23 PM   #77

The manual for the GoPower makes it look like 14.8 is the equalization voltage, and it stays there for 2 hours. Might the higher voltage from the portable be convincing the GoPower it is equalizing and going to float after the 2 hour timeout?

What's the Gopower say the SOC is when the Bogart says -10A?
Old 12-18-2015, 07:08 PM   #78

Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
The manual for the GoPower makes it look like 14.8 is the equalization voltage, and it stays there for 2 hours. ...
Note that the manual also says that equalization only happens once every 28 days.

Vermilye - Did you bypass the controller on the folding panel? Also, I am making an assumption that the open circuit voltage is around 22 v, similar to other 160 watt panels I see with Google. With a light load from a mostly charged battery the panel will produce close to the open circuit voltage. (Remember, the upper limit for input voltage on GoPower is specified at 28 v., but 22 v shouldn't be a problem.)

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:15 PM   #79

I'm not saying the controller is initiating an equalize, it sees the high voltage and registers that one is underway starting the 2 hr counter.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:19 PM   #80

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
...What's the Gopower say the SOC is when the Bogart says -10A?...

The GoPower says the batteries are at 100%.

...Vermilye - Did you bypass the controller on the folding panel?...

Yes. I have it set up so I can connect before or after the portable controller.

...Also, I am making an assumption that the open circuit voltage is around 22 v, similar to other 160 watt panels I see with Google. With a light load from a mostly charged battery the panel will produce close to the open circuit voltage. (Remember, the upper limit for input voltage on GoPower is specified at 28 v., but 22 v shouldn't be a problem.)...

Open circuit on the GoPower 95 watt panel is 20.6V, Vmp 17.2. The paralleled 100 watt Windy Nation panel has Vop of 21.6 & Vmp of 17.4. The portable panel has a Voc of 22.1 & a Vmp of 18.0.