AGM vs ETI 6V batteries - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2019, 09:53 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016. 2016 Escape 19 Sold 2019. 2019 Escape 21 picking up Sep 30th!
AGM vs ETI 6V batteries

Hi all...

We're picking up our 21 in a couple weeks. As of right now, we're getting the ETI supplied 6 volt batteries. I've been reading lots on this forum about what a PITA it is to check the batteries in a 21. I've also seen "AGM" batteries referred to in several posts.

questions:
- what are the benefits of AGM batteries over the ETI supplied batteries?
- any thoughts on where we could pick up a set near Chilliwack?... or do you think we could have them shipped to ETI? Recommendations on sources?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Old 09-13-2019, 10:55 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Do as I did and request that the batteries be moved, maybe 3" to allow full access for checking the fluid level. It can be done...

Old 09-13-2019, 10:57 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, 1980 Tayana Vancouver 42, sold Jan 2019
Send a message via Skype™ to Upfisk
We had a 1st year (1996) Casita 17 SD. The only way to access the battery was from the driver's side bench access hatch, replacement of the battery with a lead acid battery required the bench removal. We did replace that battery with an AGM, at $450 it was exceedingly expensive for a 12 V 120 amp hr battery. We even managed to insert the new battery through the small across hatch by putting it on it's side. While the Escape 21 is not that difficult to access, AGM or lithium batteries are 2-4 times more expensive than conventional lead acid batteries.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:27 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
I have Centennial AGM cb6-250 sealed that I had just bought on my old trailer. ETI let me bring them to orientation but they required pre approval so they know they fit in their battery box. They’re heavy but I never worry about power and almost always boondock. I’m not sure what brand ETI uses. It seems that you get what you pay for.
WyoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:53 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
my factory-supplied 6v batteries were 5 years old. I replaced them with AGM batteries since I had been having issues with the propane detector going off.

As it turns out, there was either a leak in one of the batteries or I had spilled some of the fluid out when filling the batteries. There was fluid in the bottom of the battery box. When I lifted the batteries out and carried them to the car I must have gotten some battery acid on my jeans -- at least that is the best explanation for the holes that appeared in them the next day.

The Lifeline AGM batteries were expensive. Just over $800 + "2 Cores". But I was able to get them locally. If I were buying a new escape, I would specify AGM batteries.

I am not sure where the propane detector is in the latest 21s, but if it is right next to the battery box, I would also inquire and see if the detector could be moved to someplace less likely to go off when the batteries are being charged.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:12 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH"
If you don't mind sitting or sleeping on a stewing cauldron of sulfuric acid that's constantly off gassing and your priority is to save some money then wet cell batteries are the way to go. Having witness what 6 volt wet cells can do a golf cart frame and a concrete floor I chose to spend more money. First get on line and do a bunch of research. Then make an educated decision based on your priorities and not my recommendations
Old 09-13-2019, 12:14 PM   #7

Trailer: SOLD: 2009 TADA, PENDING: 2020 Escape 19
Best AGM 6V?

I too am picking up a new trailer in a few months and have requested they don't install the stock batteries. I plan to upgrade to AGM (in addition to the low maintenance, they also hold their charge a lot better when not in use and are not susceptible to freezing). My question for the Forum is what is the best 6V AGM to buy? Any suggestions?
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 12:16 PM   #8

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016. 2016 Escape 19 Sold 2019. 2019 Escape 21 picking up Sep 30th!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
If you don't mind sitting or sleeping on a stewing cauldron of sulfuric acid that's constantly off gassing ... Having witness what 6 volt wet cells can do a golf cart frame and a concrete floor I chose to spend more money.
Ok. That did it.

Thank you all!
Old 09-13-2019, 12:18 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I too am picking up a new trailer in a few months and have requested they don't install the stock batteries. I plan to upgrade to AGM (in addition to the low maintenance, they also hold their charge a lot better when not in use and are not susceptible to freezing). My question for the Forum is what is the best 6V AGM to buy? Any suggestions?
No worse off than going down the highway with your fireplace on and cooling down your beer....
Old 09-13-2019, 12:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallemann View Post
Ok. That did it.

Thank you all!
One other battery chemistry you might research is carbon foam agm. More expensive than typical agm but deeper cycles and longer life. I thought about going in that direction and if I was a serious boondocker it would be either lithium or carbon foam agm. You can find the carbon foam at some boat supply shops in the Seattle area.