Anode from Suburban Hot Water Tank - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2019, 10:21 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm not interested in the longevity as I am in installing that nifty drain valve set up to eliminate that awkward removal and reinstalling the conventional anode rod.
Jim,

I would think you need to remove the rod and flush the tank in order to get the crud out. But maybe you are talking about draining the tank between trips in the summer. I am probably doing the wrong thing, but I don't drain the water heater between summer trips -- only when I winterize the trailer...
Old 09-03-2019, 11:48 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I still have that good Chilliwack water which I'll hold on until winterization. I too only drain once a year as it is a PITA to get that anode seated properly.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:06 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
So how many of us drain our home hot water heat heaters? How often do you do this? Inquiring minds want to know.
If I fill up water at home I use soft water from my house in the Escape.
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:09 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
At least once a year to drain sediment. I have 2x80 gallon electric water heaters. Just replaced both them this year, they were more than 12 years old. One started to leak, so I did both.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:13 PM   #25

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I still have that good Chilliwack water which I'll hold on until winterization. I too only drain once a year as it is a PITA to get that anode seated properly.
If I lived up in your neck of the woods I might do that - down here in Texas, if I left my water heater full and baking in the triple digit heat all summer it would get very odorous.....speaking from experience.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:26 PM   #26

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCampingKid View Post
So how many of us drain our home hot water heat heaters? How often do you do this? Inquiring minds want to know.
About once every 20 years when the water heater fails and needs to be replaced.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:18 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark Camper View Post
This is my first RV. After 3 weeks we arrived home from BC, parked in our driveway. Opened the fresh water tank to drain it. About a week later I thought to drain the hot water tank. As was unscrewing the anode it shot out of the tank and across the lawn with tremendous force. I guess the last campground we were in had pressurized the hot water tank. I had not opened a facet to relieve it. Fortunately I was not looking at the anode as I was removing it or I'd now be going by the nickname "one-eye" !

Bob
Don’t feel bad before I knew I should relive the pressure first , it shot out at me too !
When I want to open water heater now I pull the lever to relive pressure first outside on valve Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:30 PM   #28

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Don’t feel bad before I knew I should relive the pressure first , it shot out at me too !

When I want to open water heater now I pull the lever to relive pressure first outside on valve Pat

I never touch the pressure relief valve. Some years ago I read an article on The Family Handyman or This Old House or such about how to do proper annual maintenance on your home water heater. One of the items was to test that valve. I did so. But once I opened it, it wouldn’t reseat. The short version of the rest of the story was a spendy new water heater. Which we needed, but had I not fussed with that valve we would have likely gotten a couple more years out of the old one.

These days, if I want to relieve pressure in my trailer hot water system, I open a faucet inside.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:02 PM   #29

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I release pressure via the relief valve too, I close it before pulling the anode. It comes out pretty fast just from the static water pressure. Not enough to hurt someone, but it still flies out.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:09 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I never touch the pressure relief valve. Some years ago I read an article on The Family Handyman or This Old House or such about how to do proper annual maintenance on your home water heater. One of the items was to test that valve. I did so. But once I opened it, it wouldn’t reseat. The short version of the rest of the story was a spendy new water heater. Which we needed, but had I not fussed with that valve we would have likely gotten a couple more years out of the old one.

These days, if I want to relieve pressure in my trailer hot water system, I open a faucet inside.
So handy outside by myself . Also check many times to make sure water heater has water in it before a trip . In California water is like gold . Going through all the lines turning on facet which I have also done , for me uses a lot more water . You can always replace the valve but probably had some crud from keeping it closed . I never touch the one at home or empty tank . Still get long life from tanks but don’t scrimp on them . By the time they need replacing they have improvements . Pat
Old 09-03-2019, 03:45 PM   #31

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i release the pressure of my RV hot water heater before i remove the anode. i guess i will flush it next time- ive never done that. But i think i have good water my anode is usually in good shape. i never flushed my home water heater it lasted 20 years.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
How do I know which anode to buy? Most of those I'm finding are 9" long with 3/4" threads. Any concerns about using magnesium?

https://www.amazon.com/Water-Heater-...3843115&sr=8-5
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:37 PM   #33

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
How do I know which anode to buy? Most of those I'm finding are 9" long with 3/4" threads. Any concerns about using magnesium?

https://www.amazon.com/Water-Heater-...3843115&sr=8-5
Jill: The link in this post is to the genuine Suburban replacement. No guessing if it will work. The type suggested and used in the SW6D(E) water heaters from the factory are magnesium.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...tml#post306846
Old 11-15-2019, 04:17 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Thank you
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:46 AM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Right! As a reminder to release the pressure in the hot water tank before removing the anode I wrote that warning in the Escape Manual (although I’m not likely to forget pressure release in the future after taking a high pressure horizontal shower complete with sand-sized mineral projectiles).
Kim Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:49 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Matthews View Post
Right! As a reminder to release the pressure in the hot water tank before removing the anode I wrote that warning in the Escape Manual (although I’m not likely to forget pressure release in the future after taking a high pressure horizontal shower complete with sand-sized mineral projectiles).
Happened to me too ! Pat