Another Compressor Refrigerator - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2015, 01:03 AM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
If I bought a $30,000 trailer I shouldn't have to carry an ice chest with all the extra weight and bother to keep my drinks and other main items cold
I agree. To me, this isn't about cost or quality; it's just that a travel trailer purchased at significant expense should be equipped to provide the capabilities that I want. There's nothing wrong with a simple "hard shell tent" (and you can get close to it even with an Escape), but that would be substantially less expensive.

Of course, different people want different capabilities. Not everyone finds refrigeration important, but I do, so knowing what alternatives exist to get it is helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
You would expect the fridge in a more expensive trailer to perform better...
That seems reasonable, but I think many components are similar in RVs of any value. The expensive rigs tend to have more stuff, and fancier finishes (marble floors, anyone?) rather than better gear. The big motorhomes with excellent refrigeration simply use residential (120 V AC, compressor-type) refrigerators... and are thus completely dependent on a substantial supply of AC power. That could be done in an Escape, too, but I would want much more freedom of movement.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:31 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I agree. To me, this isn't about cost or quality; it's just that a travel trailer purchased at significant expense should be equipped to provide the capabilities that I want. There's nothing wrong with a simple "hard shell tent" (and you can get close to it even with an Escape), but that would be substantially less expensive.

Of course, different people want different capabilities. Not everyone finds refrigeration important, but I do, so knowing what alternatives exist to get it is helpful.

That seems reasonable, but I think many components are similar in RVs of any value. The expensive rigs tend to have more stuff, and fancier finishes (marble floors, anyone?) rather than better gear. The big motorhomes with excellent refrigeration simply use residential (120 V AC, compressor-type) refrigerators... and are thus completely dependent on a substantial supply of AC power. That could be done in an Escape, too, but I would want much more freedom of movement.
While full sized 120V refrigerators are, for the most part too large to fit through an Escape door, they are getting more & more efficient (at least here in the US due to Energy Star requirements). I assume that the Canadian versions are as well. While most are not up to Danfoss compressor efficiencies, they are getting good enough that a relatively small battery bank, inverter & solar combination can make residential refrigerators a possibility if they fit through the door.

As to an ice chest in a $30,000.00 trailer, while I managed to pay frightenly close to that for my 17B (bought with lots of options at the time that the Canadian $ was worth more than the US) I still carry two ice chests. The larger is handy for moving frozen food, refrigerated items, etc back to the trailer from a distant store, and the small one handy in the tow vehicle for a couple of iced teas or sodas.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
While full sized 120V refrigerators are, for the most part too large to fit through an Escape door, they are getting more & more efficient (at least here in the US due to Energy Star requirements). I assume that the Canadian versions are as well. While most are not up to Danfoss compressor efficiencies, they are getting good enough that a relatively small battery bank, inverter & solar combination can make residential refrigerators a possibility if they fit through the door.
I agree, some are getting better and this can be an alternative.
Those big residential refrigerators don't go through motorhome doors, either - usually if they need to be replaced the windshield is removed and the appliance brought in through that opening with a forklift. This is done even for the larger RV-type refrigerators; the Dometic in our motorhome just barely squeezes through the door, and it (the refrigerator) is not large by class A motorhome standards.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:07 AM   #24

Trailer: 17' Escape Floor B
Not to change subject but I have dual 6v batteries. Do the caps come off for adding distilled water? Do they come off very easy? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks, Craig
Old 02-21-2015, 01:56 AM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigolsen View Post
Not to change subject but I have dual 6v batteries. Do the caps come off for adding distilled water? Do they come off very easy? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks, Craig
Yes, they do come off. You may have to pry them with a screwdriver but sometimes you can just pull them off.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:12 AM   #26

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigolsen View Post
Craig, you twist them off as I recall, very easy, no tool needed. They go back on easily also. Just make sure they are turned or twisted back into place securely.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:47 AM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Craig, you twist them off as I recall, very easy, no tool needed. They go back on easily also. Just make sure they are turned or twisted back into place securely.
Ah, that's right on the Interstates. They have the lever/cam lock on the caps. Thanks for the correction!
Old 02-21-2015, 10:24 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Has anyone used one of those portable coolers? They look like ice chests but have a 12V-powered cooling mechanism of some sort. I don't know anything about them, but I thought one might make a good backup if I have problems with my fridge in warm weather.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:32 AM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Has anyone used one of those portable coolers? They look like ice chests but have a 12V-powered cooling mechanism of some sort. I don't know anything about them, but I thought one might make a good backup if I have problems with my fridge in warm weather.
I did a thread on this awhile back Mike. It was an Engel, but there are of course many other brands. What I liked about this one was the advanced compressor, the quality and the low power draw. Greggo in CA has one, and other forum members have Engels and various other brands too.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...idge-4641.html
Old 02-21-2015, 10:40 AM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Thanks. Sorry I missed that thread; it has just the info I need.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:55 AM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 1964 Globetrotter
Folks - we have removed some posts from this thread that were a distraction from the topic at hand. A few reminders....

Personal attacks are uncool - please keep your posting collegial and on topic. If you have a concern, use the report button to flag down the site team. We look at every report and take them seriously.

We can disagree about a product or concept but do it respectfully - say your piece and move on. PLease read our rules of the road if you have questions. http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/mi...ork&page=rules

Escape Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:03 AM   #32
Site Team

Thank you Janet.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:20 PM   #33

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Folks - we have removed some posts from this thread that were a distraction from the topic at hand. A few reminders....

Personal attacks are uncool - please keep your posting collegial and on topic. If you have a concern, use the report button to flag down the site team. We look at every report and take them seriously.

We can disagree about a product or concept but do it respectfully - say your piece and move on. PLease read our rules of the road if you have questions. http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/mi...ork&page=rules

I too thank u janet. We are pleased to see that the offensive posts have been removed. Your reply was very well spoken with lots of understanding.

Thanks

ken
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:15 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Excellent info.
Just one note: that's all about compressor-based coolers, which are the most effective design. There are also thermoelectric coolers, which are much cheaper but use more more and are not nearly as effective... so if you're looking for a really good cooler just watch for cheapo red herrings.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:09 AM   #35

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Engel is highly thought of by VW Westfalia owners, pricey but very effective.
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote