Anyone tried a Windmill for power? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #1

Trailer: None
Anyone tried a Windmill for power?

I saw this RV size windmill charger the other day and it looks like a potential solution/addition (to solar) for charging batteries while off the grid:

It has two different mounting capabilities, one for the ladder or the roof rack of an RV. I would think the roof rack of the tow vehicle could be used for an egg-style trailer like Escape since they do not have a ladder. Or maybe something could be rigged off the hitch. Like a pole that could be slipped on when at the site.

The advantage over solar is that this windmill could potentially charge over night or during cloudy, rainy skies. It does have limitations on winds > 35 MPH (you have to take it down) but it is an interesting idea.

More info here: www.freespiritenergy.com

Thoughts?

Follow along Down the Road with Me.
Seamstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have looked at them from other manufactures before. Not a bad idea if you camp where you get enough wind to power them. We look for spots out of the wind for the most part.

Even though they don't have a mounting solution other than rails, no doubt you could hook it up in some way to work.

I wonder how tough they are, and how much you would have to worry about damaging them during transport.

I also wish they had more info on charge rates at different wind speeds.

All in all, a great idea though. Any idea that can keep those batteries from draining can only be good.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #3

Living up north a number of years ago I looked into alternative power sources. We did have power so I never got past the research stage but some people without power did have wind generators. On the down side a higher consistent wind speed is required to get anywhere near the rated output and for the blade diameter you the power generated will be quite small. Them going over their rated RPM in a storm and self destructing is another issue. On the plus side apart from the initial cost you got "free" power with minimal maintenance.

The design shown in the picture is a lower speed unit so it is safer in a gust (likely no flying blades in a strong gust) and will begin to generate some power at a low wind speed. If you like to camp where there is a steady wind and choose a unit that has the desired output at that wind speed it could be a viable option.

Dave
Dave D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I would be really skeptical but my knowledge is mostly about the huge ones. A lot of times the wind speed 200 feet above is fine but on the ground it is minimal or too intermittent to be much use. We tent camped in the midwest where the winds were constant so maybe there it would work. In general I bet it's not worth while taking it along however I'd like to be proven wrong.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Windmills aren't silent either, if a humming noise bothers you. I also wouldn't consider mounting to the trailer. If there's vibration, that would drive me nutz. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Most of what I would say has already been posted - lots of good points. One more issue: anywhere with other people (e.g. a campground), other people will likely have small-scale versions of the same concerns faced by large wind turbines... such as noise, appearance, risk to birds, and even safety.

I like wind power, but site selection is important in wind power; that seems incompatible with the inherent mobility of a travel trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
I see it as just one more thing to pack around and mess with. Why do that? If you are going to enjoy the great outdoors, keep it simple. The solar system that Escape installs has proven to be the best method of dry camping off the grid with conservation in practice. Live aboard vagabonds that sail the seven seas mount them on large sailboats and cats. But that's just part of life support.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 07:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I'm giving this old thread a bump. Has anyone tried out a windmill for power generation? There are a few vertical-axis windmills on the market now, and they might work well for RVs.

I'm currently camped near Yuma, Arizona and the wind has blasted all day. I've had many windy days out West. It's a shame to let that energy go to waste.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 08:42 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamstress View Post
I saw this RV size windmill charger the other day and it looks like a potential solution/addition (to solar) for charging batteries while off the grid:

It has two different mounting capabilities, one for the ladder or the roof rack of an RV. I would think the roof rack of the tow vehicle could be used for an egg-style trailer like Escape since they do not have a ladder. Or maybe something could be rigged off the hitch. Like a pole that could be slipped on when at the site.

The advantage over solar is that this windmill could potentially charge over night or during cloudy, rainy skies. It does have limitations on winds > 35 MPH (you have to take it down) but it is an interesting idea.

More info here: www.freespiritenergy.com

Thoughts?
I have experience with windmills on boats. IMO, there are two issues, one is that the amount of power they produce depends on blade diameter. And large blade diameter means PITA storage because you will not be able to leave it mounted while moving. If it is small enough to store easily, it likely will not produce much even when the wind blows. Do not buy one unless the manufacturer provides detailed output graphs at 14.6 or so volts, not at 12. 12 volts will not charge a deep cycle battery. You really need to know how many amps can be fed into a deep cycle battery at ~14.6 volts, and most manufacturers do not supply this data. Specs at nominal 12volts are horribly misleading when it comes to battery charging big banks.

The second issue is that even full sized windmills need more wind than you think to produce much, and we have rarely camped in locations where wind would be useful.

Bottom line is that to get anywhere with a deep cycle bank, you need a good sized windmill, and you need a stiff breeze. Personally, I would not bother, you would likely be better off with strong solar and a small generator.

Good luck with it.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 08:52 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Generation

My Neighbor has a small one at the back of his property. He’s had it for 16 years. Though he’s a friend I’ve never talked to him about it. It’s windy here in Iowa with hundreds of big wind turbines and even at least two community colleges with programs for educating maintenance crew workers.
I attended programs where government entities had installed windmills for power in remote locations including powering park security lighting, lighting at marinas and things of that sort. I think in our area for a supplemental electrical source, solar panels are far and away outgaining the wind. And that’s also the on the commercial side where locations get full sun but don’t get the “steady, strong” wind streams.
That’s my take from east central Iowa. I will say you can hear the prop turning on my neighbors generator when the wind is from the East and we live to the west. Our 7.6 kWh solar array is silent and gives us something every day, even when it’s cloudy.
Here’s a Mother Earth project for you.
https://www.google.com/search?sca_es...&bih=615&dpr=2
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1918.jpg  
Old 02-02-2024, 09:13 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I will say you can hear the prop turning on my neighbors generator when the wind is from the East and we live to the west.

Iowa Dave
Noise would be a deal breaker for me. Mount it 200 feet away?
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 09:32 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
This one is right at a quarter mile. Probably 1100 feet. I usually don’t hear it during the day because of other noises. Sometimes when I’m on the porch at night and it’s quiet, I hear it. However our prevailing wind is out of the north and east. Only occasionally the wind is out of the east and not strong enough to really spin things up to “whine” rpm’s. There are a lot of night sounds. Last night was the animal trifecta. A great horned owl calling for a girlfriend, coyotes in the distance and a couple boss raccoons in a fistfight up in the nearby woods.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-02-2024, 09:48 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Noise would be a deal breaker for me. Mount it 200 feet away?
We had one in the tropics called a Windbugger. It had a 4' prop and was mounted on the mizzen mast. The bottom of the propeller was 7' above the deck. Even knowing that going out on deck in the dark would result in a hunched over walk.

Noise? Well when you were inside it sounded like you had a Cessna on deck taxiing along with the revs going up and down. All day, all night.

Output. Well that was mis-leading. The prop could be turning and you'd think that it was really cranking those amps out but it took about 10 knots of wind to get about 4 amps. Granted it produced power day and night but I'd rather have my solar quietly producing power and I can get the equivalent output without too much difficulty.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 10:19 PM   #14

I was hoping the vertical axis type would make less noise. I don't know that, of course-- I'm speculating.
Old 02-03-2024, 12:05 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I was hoping the vertical axis type would make less noise. I don't know that, of course-- I'm speculating.
My understanding on boats is that there is not only a noise but a vibration issue.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 12:39 PM   #16

Mike, do you have a link to one that you're considering?

Certainly in my case the two blade prop was probably the most noisy and vibration prone of all the possibilities.

You're right about it being a shame seeing potential energy going to waste. Maybe a possibility would be a smaller unit, capable of trickle charging, rather than a large unit to recharge depleted battery banks. Might be a sweet spot in there.

Ron
Old 02-03-2024, 03:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Mike, do you have a link to one that you're considering?

Ron

No, not yet. I saw a few vertical-axis windmills advertised on Amazon but I know nothing about them. Some look like they are the same thing sold under different brands. They tend to cost around $200. Right now I'm windmill ignorant.
Old 02-03-2024, 04:04 PM   #18

I looked on YouTube and that was interesting. Some guys built a vertical axis windmill and it didn't put out as much as they were expecting. Since they'd previously built a conventional type windmill they had a basis for direct comparison. The convention blade type was the hands down winner. But commercial ones may be better.

Interesting possibility though.

Ron
Old 02-03-2024, 04:24 PM   #19

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Darrien’s vertical turbine

That type of turbine has some advantages, but efficiency is not one of them.
Seen any in a wind farm?
I haven’t.

Edit
Spell check changed
Darrieus to Darrien.
Darrieus is a vertical axis wind turbine type.
Eggbeater is another term used for that type.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 10:32 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
We had one in the tropics called a Windbugger. It had a 4' prop and was mounted on the mizzen mast. The bottom of the propeller was 7' above the deck. Even knowing that going out on deck in the dark would result in a hunched over walk.

Noise? Well when you were inside it sounded like you had a Cessna on deck taxiing along with the revs going up and down. All day, all night.

Output. Well that was mis-leading. The prop could be turning and you'd think that it was really cranking those amps out but it took about 10 knots of wind to get about 4 amps. Granted it produced power day and night but I'd rather have my solar quietly producing power and I can get the equivalent output without too much difficulty.

Ron
Yeah, I missed mentioning the noise thing. I love your description of it. Our wind generator on our boat was an old two blade design about 4 feet in diameter. Listening to that thing when the wind got up was interesting, especially when the rpm brakes started to engage. If it was not keeping you up at night, it was not generating much. I would never mount one of those things to a trailer. I'd buy a generator first. But so far, solar has kept us fine without backup other than the tow vehicle.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote