Artis Water Pump - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-05-2018, 11:14 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
huskersteffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
Posts: 101
Artis Water Pump

So stupid me.... I left the water pump on for about 20 hours with no water in the holding tank. Doh! After letting it cool down I filled the holding tank and gave it a try. Turns out that the pump still "pumped" but would not turn off. I noticed a leak at the top of the casing and surmised it has a bad seal and now won't hold pressure.

Ok, my bad. Got on Amazon and looked for a new one: WFCO PDS3B-230-1260E Artis is what the label on the existing pump said. I was only able to find WFCO PDS3B-130-1260E Artis Series 3.0 GPM 60 PSI Water Pump (note only difference is middle number 130 in lieu of 230). Called Artis and they said its a direct replacement. Same exact specs. Pulled the Amazon trigger and the package came last night. Awesome.

SO I go out this morning and swap everything out. Turn it on and it really struggles to prime. I then prime it myself thru a bucket and the winterizing setup. It runs and turns off ok but the flow is nowhere near the old unit. Checked the standard things: voltage (even tho I'm on shore power), clogged intake filter, line kink, etc. Decided to return and get a replacement. We'll see if the 2nd replacement works any better.

Long boring story, I know. I noticed some other threads where folks had swapped out their stock Artis units with Shurflo pumps. Questions: Does ETI sill use Artis units in the new models or have they switched to Shurflo? Are the Shurflo owners happy with the new units?

Other online reading seems to indicate that the QA/QC on these pumps is not great.

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.
Theodore Roosevelt
huskersteffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:36 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Steve Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Fremont, California
Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskersteffy View Post
So stupid me.... I left the water pump on for about 20 hours with no water in the holding tank. Doh! After letting it cool down I filled the holding tank and gave it a try. Turns out that the pump still "pumped" but would not turn off. I noticed a leak at the top of the casing and surmised it has a bad seal and now won't hold pressure.

Ok, my bad. Got on Amazon and looked for a new one: WFCO PDS3B-230-1260E Artis is what the label on the existing pump said. I was only able to find WFCO PDS3B-130-1260E Artis Series 3.0 GPM 60 PSI Water Pump (note only difference is middle number 130 in lieu of 230). Called Artis and they said its a direct replacement. Same exact specs. Pulled the Amazon trigger and the package came last night. Awesome.

SO I go out this morning and swap everything out. Turn it on and it really struggles to prime. I then prime it myself thru a bucket and the winterizing setup. It runs and turns off ok but the flow is nowhere near the old unit. Checked the standard things: voltage (even tho I'm on shore power), clogged intake filter, line kink, etc. Decided to return and get a replacement. We'll see if the 2nd replacement works any better.

Long boring story, I know. I noticed some other threads where folks had swapped out their stock Artis units with Shurflo pumps. Questions: Does ETI sill use Artis units in the new models or have they switched to Shurflo? Are the Shurflo owners happy with the new units?

Other online reading seems to indicate that the QA/QC on these pumps is not great.

Thanks!

We swapped out our Artis for the Shurflo about a year ago, Husker. We had the same problems you describe with the Artis, including the leaky seal. At the time I did the replacement, I also included a small (.5 L cap.) Shurflo Accumulator Tank. The combination works great. The pump doesnít run as often and when it does, it turns off much quicker than the Artis.
__________________

__________________
Steve and Debbie
2016 - 21'
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:51 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
huskersteffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
Posts: 101
Thanks Steve and Debbie. Is this one you put in?

https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-4008-.../dp/B002XM5G70

(SHURFLO 4008-101-E65 3.0 Revolution Water Pump)..... If the next Artis unit is bad as well, I will definitely try a Shurflo.
__________________
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.
Theodore Roosevelt
huskersteffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:24 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Steve Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Fremont, California
Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskersteffy View Post
Thanks Steve and Debbie. Is this one you put in?

https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-4008-.../dp/B002XM5G70

(SHURFLO 4008-101-E65 3.0 Revolution Water Pump)..... If the next Artis unit is bad as well, I will definitely try a Shurflo.


Yes, That is the one!
__________________
Steve and Debbie
2016 - 21'
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:06 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 2,048
Not sure if it is bigger or there is some other consideration, but Shurflo also makes a 4 GPM pump with 55 psi cutoff.

http://www.amazon.com/Shurflo-404815.../dp/B007RYMT7O
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:24 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 2,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Not sure if it is bigger or there is some other consideration, but Shurflo also makes a 4 GPM pump with 55 psi cutoff.

http://www.amazon.com/Shurflo-404815.../dp/B007RYMT7O
In looking closer it is bigger. Mostly longer by about 2.2Ē. You would need to have the extra room to accommodate.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:59 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
huskersteffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
Posts: 101
For What It's Worth: Replacement Artis water pump showed up from Amazon last week. Installed and it is working great. Tip for anyone else replacing their's. Swap out the mounting bracket from old to new so you don't have to drill new holes. Worked for me at least.
__________________

__________________
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.
Theodore Roosevelt
huskersteffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.