Awning latch - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2015, 07:12 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Unless it is a quick overnight stop, our awning always gets deployed when we stop.

Both the shade in the heat, and protection from rain, help extend our living space with the Escape 19. We have spent countless hours out of the elements enjoying our camping, while staying out of the elements. Nothing like the secure feeling of watching the rain pour down, while sipping a coffee or a cocktail, while visiting under the awning.

Only once did we ever have an issue with the awning. I had left camp with my F_350 towing my construction dump trailer, to return a skid steer back to the rental shop, and left my wife (with the help of my brother) to pack up camp, and pull the 19 home with the Pilot. Well, still not sure what actually transpired, but I guess they never got the awning properly latched, and it opened some going down the highway, and ended up trashing the fabric, which my wife just cut away to get the awning arms put away. No big deal though, as we really needed to replace the fabric anyway. Lots of we spider crack holes in it from protecting us during a bad hail storm.

I have never used additional straps, as properly stowed there are two safe guards in place already. I prefer to keep it simple.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:05 AM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Just goes to show how people use their trailer differently. We deploy the awning at virtually every campsite we stay at-- unless it's an overnight boondock without unhooking. Yes, I've had to get out of bed a couple times in the middle of the night to stow the awning due to high wind or thunderstorms, but we love the awning and wouldn't be without it.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:48 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Just goes to show how people use their trailer differently.
Indeed. I bought my Escape with the intent of using it as a mobile hotel room. I park it in a campground then leave to go sightseeing, so I'm not around the trailer much during the day. This may change over time, but so far it hasn't. I just haven't gotten into "camping" as such.

Also, I have a basic fear of deploying the awning and then not being able to get it rolled up again. It seems like too much of a risk for someone who is unfamiliar with it. I guess I should practice with the awning at home a few times before trying to use it during a trip.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:06 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
I just consider mud in trailer OK!
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:38 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
I just consider mud in trailer OK!
I consider it an inevitability.

Life is too short to be taking your shoes on and off many times per day.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-25-2015, 01:24 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I have used my awning exactly once: when I was at home I deployed the awning just to make sure it worked. Since I was unfamiliar with it, I carefully followed instructions when I rolled it up, including moving the awning latch to the "CLOSED" position.

Late this afternoon I returned to my trailer after a windy day in New Mexico. I heard a flap-flap-flap from outside that seemed unusual. I went out and saw the the awning had partially unrolled, making it loose. I looked at the awning latch and saw that it was in the "OPEN" position. I moved it to "CLOSED"; the spring-loaded awning spun tight.

Can this latch move from "CLOSED" to "OPEN" on its own? Has anyone else had this happen? Since I never use the awning I have been ignoring the latch, but I guess I need to add it to the departure checklist.
Happened once after a very windy night in Utah. There was quite a lot of flapping around that night so I thought that my have caused the latch to slip into the open position (the awning was rolled up). However in retrospect, rolling down the highway at 60 MPH with additional wind gusts, must cause an equal if not greater amount of flapping around so I don't know. I routinely check the awning before leaving the campground and anytime we stop enroute, however, there is a good reason why I am not a pilot.

Mark
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:47 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Indeed. I bought my Escape with the intent of using it as a mobile hotel room. I park it in a campground then leave to go sightseeing, so I'm not around the trailer much during the day. This may change over time, but so far it hasn't. I just haven't gotten into "camping" as such.

Also, I have a basic fear of deploying the awning and then not being able to get it rolled up again. It seems like too much of a risk for someone who is unfamiliar with it. I guess I should practice with the awning at home a few times before trying to use it during a trip.
We are similar on much sightseeing, Mike, and between being out, and wind and rain, we use it little. Seems like a two-person job to get it in and out and it is something to get used to doing right. Once we had a wheel on it come off and that was difficult to get back on. So you might want to watch those wheel locks. With all of the stories about losing and ripping up awnings, which is why many insurance companies do not cover them, we will keep using a strap.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:23 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
My experience with the awning is that it is an easy one person job. Like anything else, the more you set it up and take it down, the easier it gets. (Less than 5 minutes at the most) I agree that I would not take the chance of leaving it up when leaving the trailer or going to sleep. Too much opportunity for the wind to come up and damage the awning. I also use the Camco straps to secure the awning when traveling.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:53 AM   #29

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We use the awning whenever the wind allows. Also use velcro straps for travel although that's more a holdover from the last trailer that did not have the plastic locks on it. The only issue I have with awnings is they constantly need cleaning. They get moldy, dirty ,and stained in no time, deployed or not. I've also found the fabric quality of the one on the Escape pretty low, compared to my 06 Starcraft, it'll need replacing before too long. Pretty sure it's the same model, Carefree must have found a cheaper material.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:50 AM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Question

The post got me thinking and I dug out the Camco straps I bought for the Casita but never used. I put them on the arms just above the round knobs on the arms. Is that the correct place for them to be effective?

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:57 AM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Ideally they should be up at the mount plate, but for those vertically challenged, as high as you can reach.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:59 AM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... In the beginning I found the 5.0 awning to be intimidating. After that more use meant more confidence. I did add some rubber bumpers to the track near the stop bolts as I knocked one of the allen screws out of the bottom of the track I found there was space to put in the bumpers.
I do find the 5.0 TA awning vinyl thinner as the black strap leaves a very distinct mark when rolled up.
Never had an issue with it deploying while moving, when all the arm locks and travel locks are secure. The open/close lever must be properly snapped as you are dealing with a very strong winder spring. If very windy we carry some self stick velcro to use around the arms.
Big problem I have now was all the tree bud debris in Tremont Tenn. left "Tea" like stains on the awning and it looks awful !!! Looks like a job for LA's Awesome cleaner from the "Dollar store". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:28 AM   #33

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
That's where I put them.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:14 AM   #34

I have never timed it, but I set the awning up solo all the time, and can't imagine it takes much more than a few moments.

I must be very fortunate, in that I rarely have had to deal with winds strong enough to have to bring the awning in. But if ones has to, it is only a couple minutes work.

It really is a simple thing to set up, and once you do it a dozen times, you will become quite proficient at it.

I clean all the parts that slide annually, and spray with a dry silicone, which makes them slide real easy.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:58 AM   #35

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
The post got me thinking and I dug out the Camco straps I bought for the Casita but never used. I put them on the arms just above the round knobs on the arms. Is that the correct place for them to be effective?
Yes, a picture would be good.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:45 PM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Not being "Vertically Challenged" (although I have to admit to "shrinking an inch or two over the last few years) I run the Camco Straps through the upper brackets on my 17:
Attached Thumbnails
_ADS6593.jpg  
Old 04-26-2015, 12:47 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Jon, you can do mine next time we meet. I need a step stool to reach mine.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:48 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Not being "Vertically Challenged" (although I have to admit to "shrinking an inch or two over the last few years) I run the Camco Straps through the upper brackets on my 17:
Got it! Thanks.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:48 PM   #39

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I have been using a bungee ball on each awning arm for the past year. Has worked well. Easy to attach and detach, very secure and cheap.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:08 PM   #40
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have never timed it, but I set the awning up solo all the time, and can't imagine it takes much more than a few moments.
Haven't timed it either, but the first one or two times it took a few minutes because I wanted to make sure I did it "right". Now it takes less than a minute and I don't even think about it.

Loosen the knobs
Open the latches
Switch it to open
Pull it down
Slide the arms up until they latch
Lift one side
Lift the other
pull down on the sides while tightening the knobs to make it taut
Stow the strap

Wait a minute. I just thought about it.