awning strap ... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2018, 07:02 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
awning strap ...

so my new-to-me Escape 21 has a Carefree awning, I assume same as all of them...

the awning strap was about 10 or 12" too short, such that when the awning is fully retracted, the strap was nowhere in sight, I had to turn the drum a several full turns before the end appeared. I measured the strap, it was 75" long, I measured the awning itself when fully extended, it was 87" long. I'm wondering if maybe someone replaced the awning fabric at some point? its only a 3 year old trailer, barely used.

so I ordered a 87" long strap from Carefree, and it arrived, I've installed it, it works great....

odd, the new strap has a piece of velcro stitched around the loop, the fuzzy half of the velcro has an adhesive backing. Wondering what this is for, and where should I stick it? one thought is to stick it to the side of the top of vertical arm, and use to keep the strap from dangling when the awning is fully deployed ?

also, the original too-short strap was in the middle of the awning... The last Carefree I saw (on an Escape 19 we looked at), the strap was wrapped around the end of the drum, just outside of the awning, and at the end with the open/close lever. Wondering which is more appropriate?
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
the strap will slide along the drum in middle or toward end
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You can slide the strap in the slot to wherever you like it ( or even remove it so you can't find it later ).
I used to have it at the very end at the front of the tube ( when furled ), but at highway speeds it would fly around and I was worried that it might hit the lever that allows the awning to open, so I now retract the awning so that the strap is a couple feet from the front edge.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:35 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You can slide the strap in the slot to wherever you like it ( or even remove it so you can't find it later ).
I used to have it at the very end at the front of the tube ( when furled ), but at highway speeds it would fly around and I was worried that it might hit the lever that allows the awning to open, so I now retract the awning so that the strap is a couple feet from the front edge.
ahhh, good point. its certainly easier to use when its close to the open/close switch, with the 12' wide awning on this Escape...

still wondering about the velcro on the end of the strap, tho...
Old 01-09-2018, 07:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
ahhh, good point. its certainly easier to use when its close to the open/close switch, with the 12' wide awning on this Escape...

still wondering about the velcro on the end of the strap, tho...
We usually have the strap in about the center when we roll it up. After we deploy awning move strap to end and just wrap strap around the arm . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I bought a roll of Velcro that hooks on itself and made straps to wrap around the awning arms as an extra safety margin to keep the awning from ever opening on its own.
Attached Thumbnails
Awning strap 2.jpg  
Old 01-09-2018, 07:46 PM   #7

Quote:
I bought a roll of Velcro that hooks on itself and made straps to wrap around the awning arms as an extra safety margin to keep the awning from ever opening on its own.
Yup those straps are important too. Pat
Old 01-09-2018, 07:58 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Usually retract ours at an angle to the center and want the strap to disappear up into the last turn of the awning. When there is a storm if the strap was visible it always would slap against the trailer in the wind.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Usually retract ours at an angle to the center and want the strap to disappear up into the last turn of the awning. When there is a storm if the strap was visible it always would slap against the trailer in the wind.
Never did roll it up on purpose at a angle but it must be because only the end is exposed when awning is rolled up . Pat
Old 01-09-2018, 08:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Note/ the rusty hold down bolts ... Mine is the same, Rusty. You might think they would use stainless in that area to prevent rust streaks. We keep our strap in the middle buy the door.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:07 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
ETI told us to line the strap up on our 17 with the porch light so that if it flaps its against the light instead of the hull.

Not an issue anymore on our 2G 19.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
Note/ the rusty hold down bolts ... Mine is the same, Rusty. You might think they would use stainless in that area to prevent rust streaks. We keep our strap in the middle buy the door.
Have a good point ! Pat
Old 01-09-2018, 11:11 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
We use the camco straps that do the same thing except I loop them through the bracket that is above where you have your strap. It would be totally impossible for the awning to deploy that way even if it were not latched.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:38 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'd buy an extra one of those straps, if it fails on the road you can install and have the use of your awning. In addition those little straps around the arms are critical, I ran mine thru the upper brackets also. My awning became unfurled while towing and did some damage.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:13 AM   #15
Site Team

if the strap failed in the field, and I wanted the awning deployed, I would unwind it by hand. really, though, I'm not seeing that as a likely problem.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:47 AM   #16

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
My strap ends up towards the front near the lever as that's where I'm standing when I throw said lever. The strap ends up sticking out just enough to grab on to if I don't angle it too much. No idea about the Velcro, my 2014 doesn't have it.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:59 AM   #17
Site Team

I asked Carefree about the velcro. Apparently if you have the metal sheath on your awning, you can secure the end of the strap to that. huh.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:03 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
if the strap failed in the field, and I wanted the awning deployed, I would unwind it by hand. really, though, I'm not seeing that as a likely problem.
Yes, but how would you retract it without 2 people on each side keeping it from banging into the trailer, the strap allows a slow retraction.