Back Up Camera/Brakes/5 TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2018, 10:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Back Up Camera/Brakes/5 TA

Thinking of having Escape install a wireless back up camera on my 5 TA before we head south again this winter. Can I get some feedback on owners who have one about what they think of them.

Also to save myself a second stop does anyone know if Escape would repack my wheel bearings and check brakes at the same time. Got a good mechanic who does it for me in Victoria but thought it might be easier to get it done at the factory. Not sure if they would do this?

Thanks for the input.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:32 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
I’m a fan of the rear view camera. It essentially replaces your central rear view mirror, to provide visibility where you otherwise will have a large blind spot. Others have argued in the past that they find it “distracting” while driving. In my view that is a case of operator error and I joke that such people should have their rear view mirrors removed to prevent similar distraction.

You don’t need a rear view camera to be legal, but that’s not the reason to do it anyway. The reason to do it is so you can see where you otherwise cannot. Safety, safety, safety.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:20 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark James View Post
Can I get some feedback on owners who have one about what they think of them.
Putting a question this way will only get you positive feedback. It has been shown time and time again that folks mostly back up any decision they made. I am no different either, as when I finally decide I want something I am most often happy I went that way. I have bought a few gimmicky things though that I wished I had never.

The only time I use my rear view mirror in my truck is when aligning to hook up my fifth wheel connection, otherwise it is all side mirrors and shoulder checking. It was how I was taught for towing and has served me well over the years.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:20 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
When traveling, we suction-cup-mount a rear-view wireless camera inside the rear window of our 21' looking out the window rearward, and my wife uses it to monitor any traffic directly behind us. We never use it for backing the camper, don't need it for that, but we find it to be very informative while travelling down the road.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:56 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
I,too opted for the back-up camera thinking it would be helpful backing into campsites. Actually, like War Eagle, I never use it while backing. I do use it while traveling however. I like seeing directly behind while rolling down the freeway. The camera has a wide angle view and can see vehicles in the lanes beside you. Useful for making lane changes on the freeway. I do find it distracting driving at night and turn it off. I think having good side mirrors was the better investment!
Mark&Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:09 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
I would get a rear camera again if I bought another Escape, and this is why.

- It serves as a rear view mirror when I am driving

- When passing someone, it eliminates the guesswork of when to return to the right lane

- It allows me to keep an eye on my bikes

- While leveling the Escape, I can see & listen to my wife while she looks at the level bubble on the rear of the trailer

Thanks,

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 F150 eco boost with 2017 5.0 TA in tow
I wouldn’t buy the back up camera again. I rarely use it and as small as Escape trailers are, they are easy back up with mirrors. I would put the money in to something else or gas for the next trip.
RicVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:36 PM   #8

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
I put a back up camera on my new-to-me F150. Having 4 doors, it's the longest truck I've ever had. The license plate frame camera not only brings me back to the RV coupler, it shows me how close I can back into a space.

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:22 PM   #9

Location: In my Escape...full time. Currently in Maine, Maine
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Thanks all, interesting discussion. I did not opt for the rear view camera on my new 19 but kind of wish I had. Will be traveling solo and have never towed (or backed!) a trailer before. I did buy a wireless setup from Amazon and need to figure out how to mount and power the thing. Would have been way more convenient to have the factory do it!
CarlNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:06 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
We already had the wireless plug-and-play camera/monitor combo for our EggCamper, so we just use it in our Escape, also, rather than pay for a second system. If we hadn't already had the one we could move between campers (we still have the EggCamper), it might have been more tempting to go with the Escape option.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:10 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
My FJ has a factory backup camera that is great for helping during hitch ups. But for me I would have no use for a camera on the back of the trailer.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:08 PM   #12

Trailer: Na
I see that you own a 5.0TA and tow with a F150 3.5EB. I hope to be a new 5.0TA owner soon and trying to get the correct tow vehicle. What are your thoughts on the crewcab with the 2.7 as a tow vehicle. Please respond, thank you very much. Gary Sr.
Ggtr1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggtr1996 View Post
I see that you own a 5.0TA and tow with a F150 3.5EB. I hope to be a new 5.0TA owner soon and trying to get the correct tow vehicle. What are your thoughts on the crewcab with the 2.7 as a tow vehicle. Please respond, thank you very much. Gary Sr.
The 2.7 is a capable engine to tow the 5,0TA, but with a full crew cab the longest box you can get is a 5.5' one. I wanted a 6.5' box so went with the 3.5.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-19-2019, 02:34 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We have a backup camera on both out tow vehicle and our Escape 21
We have never used the backup camera on our trailer . It is still in the original carton sitting in our trailer somewhere gathering dust .For us there are numerous other options that we feel are more valuable and useful
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:39 PM   #15

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We use inexpensive walkie talkies (FRS radios) for backing into campsites. My wife can direct me, keep an eye on where the connections are, any overhead limbs, etc. and take more things into account than I would probably be able to see or do using a backup camera. We started using the radios 20 years ago when backup cameras were not an option, though....just sticking with what has always worked well for us.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:48 PM   #16

I use the truck mirrors for reversing, sometimes with the wife in view but most times without. Works great for me.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:56 PM   #17

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i have the 2.7 with the full crew cab pulls the 5.0 great no issues over mountains etc... i also have the 5'5" bed works for me but it depends on how much stuff you want to carry in the bed. i wanted the shorter truck length and the extra space inside the truck .
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:39 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I sent a camera to Reese and had him factory install it. I don't use it for parking, but it is excellent for spotting the occasional silly who has crept up behind me so close I can't see it in the side mirrors. I don't often pass, but it was always a surprise to turn on my signal to move over and have a vehicle suddenly appear in my rear quarter. Also been handy a couple of times when getting gas and the driver in front has gone in to have dinner. I can see in the camera if there is a vehicle back there waiting for me to move forward.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:42 PM   #19

Trailer: ?
“Also been handy a couple of times when getting gas and the driver in front has gone in to have dinner. I can see in the camera if there is a vehicle back there waiting for me to move forward.”

Agreed. The first time you back over someone’s child, or pet, or into their car, you will wish you had a backup camera.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
“Also been handy a couple of times when getting gas and the driver in front has gone in to have dinner. I can see in the camera if there is a vehicle back there waiting for me to move forward.”

Agreed. The first time you back over someone’s child, or pet, or into their car, you will wish you had a backup camera.
It is fine to have a backup camera on your trailer if you wish, but to suggest those that don't are a danger to children, pets, etc, is quite insulting to those that don't have or want one.

If there is nobody behind the trailer when reversing, I always do a good check of the area anyway, both behind and underneath the trailer. I have no worries at all about doing what you propose I might. After reversing a trailer on average 20 times a week for most of my life, I have done just great.