Backup camera concerns - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2018, 04:55 PM   #21

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Rear camera

We ordered a wireless backup camera from Amazon $200 then we installed it inside with Velcro tape to adhere to overhead cabinets .Work like a dream I have it wired to my lights so I just put my lights on when in congested areas or backing up Best $200 I’ve spent on the trailer I would never be without it Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:52 PM   #22

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
When you buy a new vehicle with a backup camera, why does the camera only operate when the vehicle is in reverse?
Rented a Traverse a few weeks ago, when you changed the mirror to night mode a camera activated for the mirror. Liked it so much I left it in night mode all the time. The only down side was everything looked farther away then it really was. Had great wide angle abilities and dimmed all the headlights really well at night. Didn't care for the lane assist. Every time you cross a line without the blinkers being on it nudges you back.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:43 PM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Hmmm. Where i have the camera mounted it is about a foot to the right of the center of the steering wheel. With one glance i can see both sides and behind. I would estimate I take my “eyes off the road” less time than checking both side mirrors. Is there a trick to keeping eyes on the road and checking side mirrors i don’t know about?
Old 11-30-2018, 09:59 PM   #24

Trailer: ?
If my backup camera can prevent me from backing into one kid, pet or car in a gas station , shopping center, rest area, etc., then it was money well spent.

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:35 PM   #25
LRL

Trailer: E23Q; previously: 2017 E21
I'm a good driver and have learned, over the years, to do a good job with mirrors and looking over my shoulder. Still, since cars began having cameras installed routinely, I've realized that nothing beats a direct view behind as is offered by a camera.While it's possible to be a good driver without a camera, it makes no sense to me to reject a technology that makes all of us better and safer.
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:47 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRL View Post
it makes no sense to me to reject a technology that makes all of us better and safer.

That depends on your point of view
Old 11-30-2018, 10:56 PM   #27
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
We have never had problems with any leaks. For me, when we pass through a large city, add some overwhelming traffic, it's a blessing to have the camera. Although we love to camp, we mostly we like to travel and discover this continent, visiting small towns, country and mountainsides and often we pass through cities or stay for a while. Navigating a four lane freeway to cross to the opposite lane is stressful with a trailer; the camera has been my savior. I seldom use it while backing up as there are two of us. It's a great tool and gives me peace of mind.

Lorna
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 05:59 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Hello Escape World,
I'm pretty sure the cameras are now mandatory because of the deaths of some children that were killed because they were right behind the car and or so small could not be seen. Sadly in many of these cases it was one of the parents of the child.
I drive a lot for my career, about 37,000 miles a year and what I think is biggest problem on roads these days is texting and driving. They past a hands free law here in GA back in July and I would say 1st week noticed a big difference now I see a minimum of 25 people a day with their phones in hand. They want to make something mandatory that will save lives and improve the flow of traffic then every vehicle should have the ability to turn off that part of your phone while driving.
I do not have a camera now but do see the value and added safety in one so could be something I add one day. I like the idea of the inside Velcro one, can you post some pictures of that and what camera you purchased.

Safe and fun travels to all.
Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:12 AM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
I drive a lot for my career, about 37,000 miles a year and what I think is biggest problem on roads these days is texting and driving. They past a hands free law here in GA back in July and I would say 1st week noticed a big difference now I see a minimum of 25 people a day with their phones in hand. They want to make something mandatory that will save lives and improve the flow of traffic then every vehicle should have the ability to turn off that part of your phone while driving
There are apps available which do this. While it's unlikely anyone would voluntarily install one of these, some corporations put them on company phones for the safety of their employees and the public. I just put the phone down and drive.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 05:44 AM   #30

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
When you buy a new vehicle with a backup camera, why does the camera only operate when the vehicle is in reverse?
GM put one in my Bolt that stays on when driving forward. In fact unless I want to see what my dog is up to I almost never turn it off.
It's definitely not a necessity but it's also not a distraction.

https://youtu.be/3Pwb3rlWRVY
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:17 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 17ft
Have cam.. never use it

Hi,
We've got a 2015 17b. Had only ever had a tent-trailer prior to this one. So went with the cam. Tried it a couple of times but found out that I really don't need it. I have a Sienna van and find the visibility is fine. Just make sure you have the windows down and someone ready to yell stop (at appropriate times). What to buy a seldom used one
WWHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:19 PM   #32

Trailer: 2018 escape 21
camera installation.

make sure ETI keeps the connector from the camera to the battery wire outside the shell. Ours was placed inside the shell. When our lens fogged up we got a replacement camera from the manufacturer (free) as we have a 2018 21 escape. We had to cut the wire on the camera in order to remove it and send it back in. We will have to splice the new camera wire to it rather than just snap the connectors together.
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:42 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
make sure ETI keeps the connector from the camera to the battery wire outside the shell. Ours was placed inside the shell. When our lens fogged up we got a replacement camera from the manufacturer (free) as we have a 2018 21 escape. We had to cut the wire on the camera in order to remove it and send it back in. We will have to splice the new camera wire to it rather than just snap the connectors together.
How did Escape run it in the first place? Could you not do just the same?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:08 PM   #34

Trailer: 2018 escape 21
they put the wire and connection thru a hole in the fiberglass shell on top of the trailer and ran the wire down to the battery. The connector and the wire leading to the camera was also inside the shell and then they caulked the hole.
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:24 AM   #35

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Back up camera

We had ETI put in 12volt wire in back cabinet so we could have a radio and a back up camera I knew I did not want it on the outside Also a few of other escapees put the camera inside on Velcro and then attach wiring This keeps camera out of weather and by taking out screen you get a great picture As I said before BEST option I have put in Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote