Backup camera concerns - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2018, 10:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 17B
Backup camera concerns

Hi all,

We are considering a backup camera for our 17B. After seeing a picture from ETI of an installed camera, I have some concern about leaks from the mounting screws.

Am I overthinking this? The convenience appeals to us but I'm curious if others have had cameras installed and what experiences have been (positive or negative).

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Chris P.
chrispy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:27 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
While I don't have a camera, they weren't options in 2014, I'd imagine it's the same as any other hole in the shell, you need to do your yearly maintenance which includes checking all the caulking and such.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:30 AM   #3

We have the camera, and I wouldn't get another camper without it. Seemed like a real luxury to me before we ordered it, but now that we've used it for over 6000 miles ( since June '18) , it's a "must have". I bought some big tow mirrors for the F-150, but the camera makes them unnecessary. It's a wonderful thing, and might save you a trip to the boat yard to get a hole fixed by the fiberglass repair guy. ( Been there, done that...)

There are many options that require holes in the shell, with their associated risk of leaks, but this one is well worth the risk. ( One of the reasons I DID go with portable solar panels instead of roof mounted. )
Old 11-30-2018, 09:44 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Don’t recall ever hearing any complaints about water intrusion due to camera mount. While theoretically possible I think it’s unlikely and rare if ever. As to usefulness, people are fairly divided on this one. On one hand are the “I know how to drive using just my mirrors” types, and on the other are the “it lets me see right behind me where I don’t have a mirror” types.

I’m the latter type. I like the camera and use it all the time. Because it does let me see where I cannot with just my mirrors. It’s not a substitute for them, but a supplement to them, that does something that they physically cannot. I don’t like blind spots. Blind spots are bad.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:48 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispy35 View Post
Hi all,

We are considering a backup camera for our 17B. After seeing a picture from ETI of an installed camera, I have some concern about leaks from the mounting screws.

Am I overthinking this? The convenience appeals to us but I'm curious if others have had cameras installed and what experiences have been (positive or negative).

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Chris P.

You should not be concerned about leaks as stated earlier, I have one and works great. If you ever travel by yourself I would say get it. Also comes in handy with co-pilot as it has built in mic so you can hear the person out back tell you "No Stupid Your Other Left"
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:51 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
We have not had a leak in that area. I am very satisfied with the installation.

Regards,

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:03 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We have the backup camera . It is still in the original box and has never been used
I did have to recaulk the exterior camera mounting bracket
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:00 PM   #8

Thanks all for your quick replies. We've decided to go ahead with the backup camera.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
I have the back up camera and never use it. Big waste of money for me. I would not order another one. As far as leaks, yearly maintenance check will get ahead of that. I grew up on a farm, drove crash rescue trucks and tankers in the Air Force, so I’ve been backing up trailers most of my life. By the time I remember to turn it on, I’m already backed in. Other people like them.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:55 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I have it and use it whenever I’m underway. I can see who is behind me and how closely they are following, and brake accordingly. I can see who’s coming up on the sides. I can see when i’m Past traffic enough to change lanes. It helps with backing up, too, but imho, the on the road use is the most beneficial. Well worth my investment.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:05 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
I have it and use it whenever I’m underway. I can see who is behind me and how closely they are following, and brake accordingly. I can see who’s coming up on the sides. I can see when i’m Past traffic enough to change lanes. It helps with backing up, too, but imho, the on the road use is the most beneficial. Well worth my investment.
To be fair, this can also be achieved with good driving habits and proper mirrors. It has worked well for me towing for the last 45 years.

I have had a backup mirror on the last few pickups, and do really appreciate it's help in hitching up a trailer, something I regularly do a few times a week. Too bad I could not do the same with my 5.0TA.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
To be fair, this can also be achieved with good driving habits and proper mirrors. It has worked well for me towing for the last 45 years.

I beg to differ. Proper mirrors will never show you what is in close proximity directly behind you. They can’t, because they don’t have coverage there. This is the area normally viewed with a standard, centrally mounted, rear view mirror. But a towed trailer removes that mirror’s utility, creating a blind spot.

I recognize that appropriate driving skill moderates this reduced visibility, and am not of the position that a rear view camera is a mandatory necessity. Driving skills are first and foremost. However, I personally prefer the additional information provided by the camera, integrated with that provided by mirrors plus glancing over my shoulders as appropriate. Safety, safety, safety!

As in many of these discussions, to each their own, and YMMV [emoji6]

Also, as they are upon us, Happy Holidays!
Old 11-30-2018, 02:21 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I figure being able to see how close another vehicle is following just raises your stress level.
It's just one more thing to distract you and take your eyes off the road ahead.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:33 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I have been thinking about getting a camera but as of yet haven't pushed the 'buy' button. I am thinking of first installing BRIGHT back up lights on trailer …. perhaps under the rear bumper. I have the most trouble backing into campsites at night (travel alone).

For those appreciating their cameras …. what brand do you have?

Tom
Old 11-30-2018, 03:59 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I beg to differ. Proper mirrors will never show you what is in close proximity directly behind you. They can’t, because they don’t have coverage there. This is the area normally viewed with a standard, centrally mounted, rear view mirror. But a towed trailer removes that mirror’s utility, creating a blind spot.!
I have never not been able to see someone behind my trailer, ever! Unless it was a super tiny car or a motorbike I will see it out one side of the other. I also stay aware of my surroundings as I drive, it is a habit I formed many years ago.

When I have driven larger tractor/trailer units if someone tailgated it would be tough to see them, but that is on them, not me. Tailgating, at least here, is illegal.

I have never relied on the rear view mirror on the window so maybe this is why I am well able to use the side mirrors. Probably more than half my driving in the last 40 years I would not have been able to use one anyway, having either a topper on a truck, a trailer behind me, or just not equipped with one. Side mirrors are what is needed for reversing a vehicle anyway, with or without a trailer.

I am not at all saying to not get a back up camera if you are so inclined, it just bugs me when I am told I am not a safe driver because I feel I do not need one. The only accident I have had with a trailer in tow, after many hundreds of thousands of kilometres doing so, had nothing to do with mirrors in any way.

Lordy knows that I buy lots of toys to use that are not necessary. I always find a way to justify them in my own mind.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:05 PM   #16

That's even better. I thought it was wired up such that it kicked in during backup only.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am not at all saying to not get a rear view mirror if you are so inclined, it just bugs me when I am told I am not a safe driver because I feel I do not need one. The only accident I have had with a trailer in tow, after many hundreds of thousands of kilometres doing so, had nothing to do with mirrors in any way.

Sorry if I implied in any way that you’re being unsafe, Jim. That was not my intent.

That would rile me up as well, as I’m likewise somewhat tempted to be when anyone suggests that I’m unsafe by using a rear view device instead of devoting 100% of my attention in the forward direction, which violates the principles of comprehensive situational awareness taught in every driver course I’ve ever attended.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:22 PM   #18

When you buy a new vehicle with a backup camera, why does the camera only operate when the vehicle is in reverse?
Old 11-30-2018, 04:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
When you buy a new vehicle with a backup camera, why does the camera only operate when the vehicle is in reverse?

Because it’s also equipped with a rear view mirror that even works when the power is off. Also, because the rear view camera screen is generally also used for other things, like the radio.

Why has the US government mandated that all new cars sold, starting sometime in the next couple of years, be equipped with such cameras, along with seatbelts, airbags, and antilock brakes (which were all similarly resisted by various factions, once upon a time)?
Old 11-30-2018, 04:49 PM   #20

For what it's worth, I had minor fender bender in a parking lot and it was determined that it was my fault because I had told the insurance I was checking my rear view mirror to see if my brother, who was following me, had turned into the driveway.
So, if anything happens to you, never admit that you were looking at the monitor and you weren't looking up the road ahead.

The car I hit was driving the wrong way ( against the parking lot arrows ). So, there's another lesson. Those signs in a parking lot don't mean anything.