Batteries setting off the propane detector? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2016, 09:02 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
was the fan on exhaust or blowing in? Perhaps the exhaust mode was sucking the gas into the trailer?
... or perhaps the fan was blowing out, and the replacement air was coming in windows or the door and bring the gas with it.

More disturbing: if there are no windows open and the fan is on exhaust, air will be pulled in from where ever it can get in. That shouldn't be the battery box!

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:15 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It seems at least possible that gas from the batteries could set off the propane detector, and based on smell there are clearly gases (which means more than hydrogen, because you can't smell that)...
You're right that hydrogen is odorless yet I've been in places with multiple batteries being charged and smelled an odor. Never thought about it too much but just googled it and some claim the odor from an over charged battery is hydrogen sulfide. Not good stuff to have inside a trailer. Maybe a lowering of battery charging voltage might be advisable.

Ron

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:31 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Bob,
I have had an identical situation occur. The cause is the high charge rate that you and I are using based on Interstate recommendations. There are three steps I have taken to address the problem.
  1. Be sure the battery box is sealed. If you have some question about the area around the wiring purchase some Duct Seal from the electrical department of a home improvement store. Replenish and/or replace.
  2. Check to be sure the outlet on the outside of the trailer is higher than the outlet on the plastic battery box. Fumes should flow up.
  3. Place a block of wood or some sort of wedge between the battery and the battery box wall at the vent. The clearance is slight in that box and the vent may be blocked. My box sidewall was caving in making for a very small vent opening.

The issue will only occur when the controller is at that peak charge rate and for only the two hour span that Interstate recommends. Once that time has passed the charge rate drops to maintenance.

On the 21 that CO detector is right at that battery box, my detector has gone off, for no known reason at night, on at least one occasion. On my 19 I replaced it after seeing an expired date stamp on the unit.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:48 AM   #14

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Thanks folks.

Dropped the charge rate to 14.8, will let it recharge today with the trailer closed up and see what happens. Looks like another bright sunny day.

Meanwhile I'll check over the battery box and see if I can find where a leak may be, again.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:02 AM   #15

Trailer: ?
Tables don't copy/paste well.

I have a Xantrex TruCharge2 and I use the Lead-Calcium setting.
Absorption: 15.5 (vs 15.3 optimal)
Float: 13.5 (vs 13.4 optimal)
Equal: 16 (vs 15.6 optimal)
http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Bat...s%20Guide).pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Interstate 6V Battery Voltages.jpg (180.0 KB, 15 views)
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:22 AM   #16

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Doug, are your batteries inside out out in a box? I agree 14.8 is low, but I need to try something.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:08 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2016 Ram Eco-diesel 4WD Crew
Our detector started sounding its alarm at home in our garage with no propane on, but with the 2 6volts presumably being charged by the stock converter. Later, while traveling it sounded once at night and once for hours while we were away, as reported by campground neighbors.
Eventually contacted ETI, who said some were being reported as defective and to contact the manufacturer, who offered to send a new one while we were still traveling. Got it at home and replaced it. No alarms since.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:01 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Our detector started sounding its alarm at home in our garage with no propane on, but with the 2 6volts presumably being charged by the stock converter. Later, while traveling it sounded once at night and once for hours while we were away, as reported by campground neighbors.
Eventually contacted ETI, who said some were being reported as defective and to contact the manufacturer, who offered to send a new one while we were still traveling. Got it at home and replaced it. No alarms since.
I replaced our propane/CO detector twice in the first 2 years that we had the trailer. They tended to go off, even when the propane was totally shut off at the tanks. The original detector I replaced myself. Second one Escape replaced complimentary while trailer was at ETI for some other work related to the fridge. We are on our third detector now, and so far it seems to be working fine.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:35 PM   #19

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Doug, are your batteries inside out out in a box? I agree 14.8 is low, but I need to try something.
Front storage box.

jamman is offline   Reply With Quote