Battery and furnace - do I expect too much? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So if we upgrade the solar controller, we can skip the converter upgrade? Why do both?
Old 11-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #42

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
True...if you have enough sun... When's your new trailer due?...and are you going to pick it up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So if we upgrade the solar controller, we can skip the converter upgrade? Why do both?
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #43

Trailer: Escape
Is the difference between the PM4B-45 main board replacement, and the plain ole PM4B-45, just the connectivity stuff for an extra $15.00 ? j

The PM4B-45 is covered and deck mounted and you provide the wiring.
The PM4B-45 MBA 4-Stage Main Board Replacement is pre wired to swap out with the WFCO OE converter. Since it is installed in the conveter housing the main board does not need a protective housing.Replaces any WFCO 8900 series power center main board assembly. Guaranteed perfect fit.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
True...if you have enough sun... When's your new trailer due?...and are you going to pick it up?
Will be completed next week, delivery the following week. TRying to beat the weather.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #45

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Will be completed next week, delivery the following week. TRying to beat the weather.
Good thing your trailer will not have to travel our way on it's journey home to you Jim. We have already had a couple of big dumps of snow and it is now getting really cold out (below -20°C tonite).

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #46

Wow, you guys are hearty souls.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #47

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Quote:
which takes the charging voltage up to where it should be and is just a much higher quality, adjustable unit. I set the initial charging voltage to 14.9VDC (temp compensated)
My compliments on your post, particularly the mention of charging at the proper voltage for wet cell batteries. I believe the WFCO controller/charger will top out a charge at 13.4VDC. By charging at the higher rate of 14.9VDC, as recommended by Trojan, you are getting 111% more charge in the battery(s). The TriStar controller is putting out great charges and the fact it is temperature compensated makes it a top choice.

Regarding the PM4-45 MBA, what has been your experience with the replacement? Jubal, you are experienced in electrical systems and I know you did some wire upgrades for thicker gauge, have you tried this? It appears to be a three stage charger with charge rates of 13.2/13.6/14.4, if it gets out of the middle stage and actually charges at 14.4 it would be nice. Is it $175 nice?

Can you order your trailer with an upgraded WFCO model? I know, ask Reace. I will put that on my request list. I am also interested in Trojan T105 batteries in place of the Interstates they are using. I also plan to ship the wiring harness for a Trimetric TM2025 so it can be installed during the build. Thank you for that recommendation Brian.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #48

Thanks for the compliment! My converter is the latest 4-stage model and "boost" charges at 14.6VDC. Here it is; 45 Amp 4-Stage Main Board Replacement
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
My compliments on your post, particularly the mention of charging at the proper voltage for wet cell batteries. I believe the WFCO controller/charger will top out a charge at 13.4VDC. By charging at the higher rate of 14.9VDC, as recommended by Trojan, you are getting 111% more charge in the battery(s). The TriStar controller is putting out great charges and the fact it is temperature compensated makes it a top choice.

Regarding the PM4-45 MBA, what has been your experience with the replacement? Jubal, you are experienced in electrical systems and I know you did some wire upgrades for thicker gauge, have you tried this? It appears to be a three stage charger with charge rates of 13.2/13.6/14.4, if it gets out of the middle stage and actually charges at 14.4 it would be nice. Is it $175 nice?

Can you order your trailer with an upgraded WFCO model? I know, ask Reace. I will put that on my request list. I am also interested in Trojan T105 batteries in place of the Interstates they are using. I also plan to ship the wiring harness for a Trimetric TM2025 so it can be installed during the build. Thank you for that recommendation Brian.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #49

Trailer: 19'
Quote:
I upgraded with a TriStar TS-45 Solar Controller which takes the charging voltage up to where it should be and is just a much higher quality, adjustable unit. .
Hi hotfishtacos, in my quest to learn more about all things electrical, I searched TriStar TS-45 and found these 2 possible candidates. Wondering if you got either of these?

- TS-45 Morningstar 45A 12/24/48V Solar Charge PWM Controller
or
- TS-45-MPPT TriStar 45A 12/24/48VDC MPPT Solar Charge Controller

Wondered if you also got this doodad Tristar TS-M2 Digital Meter for Tristar Controllers?

j
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #50

Jamie, I got the TS-45 without the MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracking) option. I thought that was overkill for me. I did get the TS-M2 Meter and added a temp sensor on my batteries for temperature compensation. It is now essentially a commercial grade, programmable solar charging system.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
Hi hotfishtacos, in my quest to learn more about all things electrical, I searched TriStar TS-45 and found these 2 possible candidates. Wondering if you got either of these?

- TS-45 Morningstar 45A 12/24/48V Solar Charge PWM Controller
or
- TS-45-MPPT TriStar 45A 12/24/48VDC MPPT Solar Charge Controller

Wondered if you also got this doodad Tristar TS-M2 Digital Meter for Tristar Controllers?

j
Old 11-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #51

Cool, thanks for the reply! j
Old 11-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #52

Trailer: Escape
Jubal, you are experienced in electrical systems and I know you did some wire upgrades for thicker gauge, have you tried this?

When I installed the PM4-45 MBA converter the only wiring change I made was using a 8 guage wire (was 10 ga) to connect the 12 V ground out of the WYCO distribution unit to the ground junction to equal the 8 guage 12 V battery positive wire that connects the WYCO unit to the batteries.
The adantages of the PM4-45 MBA converter :
It does not hesitate to transition to the bulk charge rate on demand. Better for generator use.
It is a four stage charger. PM4B models now includes built-in desulfation cycle to prevent stratification that can lead to battery sulfation.
I also made the change so I could use the PM4-45 MBA to maintain the batteries rather than buy a seperate exterior charger.
Concerning batteries:
http://www.helioselectric.com/sales/...roducts_id=288
Old 11-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #53

Anyone have any experience with the 1000W or 1500W inverters Escape installs? Quality? Function? Upgrades? j
Old 11-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #54

Trailer: 2012 17B
I've got the 1500 watt inverter. I don't speak electric at all. What I can say is I ran the furnace for almost 24 hours in heavily overcast skies and the light gauge (with water and tanks measured as well, whatever that is called) said 3/4 charge and the digital one below the dinette said 83 and 12.5.
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:24 PM   #55

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I had a1000 watt inverter installed. The samlex unit comes with a remote panel for power readings and on/off. Escape did a nice job installing it and the unit works well.

Dave
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #56

Thanks for the responses. j
Old 12-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #57

Quote:
Jamie, I got the TS-45 without the MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracking) option. I thought that was overkill for me. I did get the TS-M2 Meter and added a temp sensor on my batteries for temperature compensation. It is now essentially a commercial grade, programmable solar charging system.

Steve
Just thinking more newbie thoughts about getting the most out of batteries/solar. I imagine that one could reasonably get the TS-45 controller and Trimetric 2025 monitor, without the TS-M2 meter. Seems like the TS-M2 would not be needed with the Trimetric monitor? j
Old 01-29-2014, 08:08 PM   #58

Trailer: 2014 19' hatch date Feb. 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvansnell View Post
I bought my Trimetric from a local dealer, WeGoSolar (Solar Panels Canada | Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverters | Surrette Solar Deep Cycle Batteries | Solar Panel MPPT Controllers | Complete Off-Grid | Grid-Tie| Solar Electric Systems | Vancouver Island BC Canada), located on Vancouver Island. Their price was as good as I found anywhere and their service was excellent. You will need a shunt and wiring kit also which they sell.

You can spend money on a new battery or you can spend the money on managing your 12 volt system.

I had a few questions about setup and got an excellent response from the manufacturer, Bogart Engineering. They really seem to know what they are doing.
Hi Brian, How long did it take to complete your TM Battery monitor installation? Thanks
Howard
ADKzookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote