Battery depletion after using inverter - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2018, 11:57 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19'
Battery depletion after using inverter

We like to wake up to hot coffee and chose the inverter option primarily to be able to make drip coffee while still lying in bed (isn't it strange what some people care about and are willing to pay for!). I recently read a post about the batteries being depleted by more than 40% by running the inverter to make coffee, and that because they were parked in the shade, the solar panel was ineffective in recovery.

We do have a generator, so we can recharge without solar --- but we really, really don't want to use it. So, my question is, IF we have sun shining on the solar panels during the day, can we reasonably expect the batteries to be recharged in time for dinner?

Again, many thanks for any light you can shed on me!
egraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Yes there should be no problem. We use our coffee maker and electric toaster some mornings and with sun on the solar panel the batteries are charged before lunch.
We did buy a 90 watt solar panel from Costco and use that as a portable panel that can be moved to a sunny location if we’re parked in a shady spot.

Cheers
Doug
Old 06-21-2018, 12:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
When running heater & coffee maker we see the readout on our Go Power controller show 66, yet when we turn off inverter it immediately jumps way up. We've not had a problem in almost 4 years of using it every day we camp which is 100+ days/year. Also sprung for a portable panel recently and have yet to need it; the roof 160W keeps us charged.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by egraham View Post
We like to wake up to hot coffee and chose the inverter option primarily to be able to make drip coffee while still lying in bed (isn't it strange what some people care about and are willing to pay for!). I recently read a post about the batteries being depleted by more than 40% by running the inverter to make coffee, and that because they were parked in the shade, the solar panel was ineffective in recovery.

We do have a generator, so we can recharge without solar --- but we really, really don't want to use it. So, my question is, IF we have sun shining on the solar panels during the day, can we reasonably expect the batteries to be recharged in time for dinner?

Again, many thanks for any light you can shed on me!
It depends on your coffee maker, length of day, angle of the sun, the state of charge of your batteries by morning, and what else you use. In the case of my 5 cup drip coffee maker, it draws 600 watts during the brewing process (about 10 minutes), and then switched a 100 watt load off & on to keep the pot warm. Since I generally make my coffee & then shut off the coffee maker, I use about 6 - 8 amp hours of battery, an easy recovery under all but the worst solar conditions.

A 10 cup drip coffee maker or a Keurig will use close to twice this, and if you leave the pot on the the warmer, even more. As long as your batteries are showing 12.5 - 12.7 volts (before the sun hits the solar panel) I don't think you will have a problem, but if the voltage is much lower than that & you expect shade or clouds, you might want to make your hot water on the stove.

On a good day you can expect to get 25 - 40 amp hours from a 160 watt panel, again depending on the day length & solar angle. Tilting the panels the proper angle for your location can improve the output as much as 300%, but doing that is a bit of a project. (I have photos of the process at my trailer modification page)

Whether you can use all the panel produces depends on the state of your battery charge. If it is down in the 50% range, the controller will likely go in the bulk mode, putting everything the panel can produce into the battery. On the other hand, if the batteries are only down 20% or so, the controller will likely skip the bulk stage & go into the absorption stage, which will limit the charging current to the batteries. You can't push too much amperage into a mostly full battery without causing over heating and off gassing.

The short answer (as you can see, I hate short answers) is making a pot of coffee most of the time is not going to be a problem.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:11 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
my home 8 cup coffee maker uses like 1500 watts but brews a pot in a couple minutes, and shuts off about a minute later, lets call it 5 minutes total. It has no hot plate, rather the carafe is a stainless thermos. This Bonavita BV1900TS makes awesome good coffee.

so... lets call it 5 minutes at 1500 watts. 1500 watts at 12VDC is 125 amps, so 5 minutes is about 10 amp*hours. if you have the dual golf cart battery, you have about 110 AH to play without over discharging the batteries (50% of 220 AH total discharge). one hour of direct sunshine on a 160W solar panel should easily recharge the battery from this.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:10 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19'
Since 2006, I have been reading about battery types, battery charging (no one told us we needed a 3-stage charger when we bought our Casita in 2007), and now solar chargers and inverters. Getting solid information is challenging largely because the writers use the words "many" "often" "usually", and "sometimes" --- but what I want to know is how stuff works, what the constraints are, and how to figure stuff out myself. I found much of what was posted here very helpful. Thanks.
egraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We have the Bonavita too and love it! However I don't like the counter space a coffee maker uses so we use a drip method. We do use the inverter to grind our beans without any problem. Then we make it into this carafe which keeps it hot for hours. You could use an aeropress too, but we find drip to be just as tasty and quicker.
https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-Pre...623084&sr=8-14

It's a great solution for us as we still have super coffee but minimize battery use and storage.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:40 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
We have the Bonavita too and love it! However I don't like the counter space a coffee maker uses ....
yeah, our Bonavita stays at home. camp coffee is made with an Aeropress, usually sitting outside. water is boiled either on a kettle on the stove, or via my Jetboil outside.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:59 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I will put in another vote for the Bonavita electric coffee makers. Their claim to fame is their ability to produce a hot cup of coffee. However, when camping, the Bonavita stays home and we substitute a retro coffee maker from Revere Ware. You may recall the advertising for Revere Ware, the copper bottom coffee pot.

This is a drip coffee maker that requires you to pour boiling water over coarse coffee grounds and wait for the natural brewing. For heating the water we use another Revere Ware product, their copper bottom tea pot.

Both of these products are from the 1950's when the Revere Ware name was still respected as a quality product.
Attached Images

fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:21 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Paul,
Seeing your "retro" Revere ware reminds me of the early years of our marriage (70's) when Earline and I would take Revere ware back to the factory in Illinois, where it would be refurbed in the back room to like-new condition in just a few minutes. Might have been free, too.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:12 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Rally idea

Hey Paul,
Here’s an idea for your rally. I don’t drink much coffee ( two cups a week on Tuesday mornings) so I’m not much of a connoisseur, but you could have a camp coffee tasting event.
First thing in the morning, misty fog rising off the river, birds singing, clank of beer bottle cleanup as they hit the bottom of the dumpster. That’s camping. Run with it.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-22-2018, 01:32 PM   #12
Site Team

the revereware I remember from the later part of the 70s had thick aluminum bottoms but were otherwise heavygauge stainless steel. there was another brand we liked that had a copper heat spreader sandwiched in stainless steel
Old 06-22-2018, 08:02 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
It appears that Revere Ware hit its peak around 1960. After that time it was playing catch-up with the teflons and silverstones. It never regained its glory days of the 30's to 50's. If you have the product you can get a pretty close approximation to the date of manufacture by using the logo stamped into the copper bottom.

There is a lively market for their products on e-Bay. It can command pretty good prices. My wife grew up with the product, of course in those days you did not replace cookware but every twenty years, so she was very familiar with it for every day use. It is well made and pretty substantial, however it does not compare to the convenience of my Bonavita.

Dave, I will take your suggestion for morning coffee at the Mississippi Rally under consideration. OK, done considering. I would much rather taste the adult beverages that are being offered as samples in the late afternoon on Friday. I guess everyone will need to bring their Bonavita!
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:28 PM   #14

Trailer: 2020 25' Flying Cloud Airstream with three 90-watt Zamp Solar roof panels and 140-watt ZS Portable
The amount of time solar takes to fill your batteries is a function of Amp hours used and the Amp hour replacement rating of your panel(s). Usually, solar would have no issues given your statement.