Battery Maintenance - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2019, 12:16 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
My battery maintenance was replace the wet cell as soon as I got home with an AGM. Winterization?
So you only got a single battery?
Old 08-26-2019, 12:53 PM   #22

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So you only got a single battery?
I ordered the dual 6 volt but remembered some of the issues I had with six 6 volt wet cells on a golf cart. When I ask if they were wet cell and was told they were I cancelled. I already had the AGM so it was a no cost decision. I can get an identical AGM for about $170 and I may get a second. I've read about the problems of paralleling batteries of different age but I've also read the match is doable as long as the older battery has been properly maintained and the voltages are close. You just won't get the max performance from the newer battery as long as it's paralleled to the older battery. Another thing is that I'm not the boondocker that many of you are. Plus, I have two Yamaha inverter generators.
If anyone is crossing the Savannah on I20 I'm about 5 miles north and I got a free battery for whoever wants it.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:56 PM   #23

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I use the hydrometer.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:00 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Took nearly a gallon today. WallyWorld wanted ten bucks for a turkey baster. Alright alright, so call me old fashioned and really low-tech.... but nothing beats a timely reminder.
Attached Thumbnails
Distilled.jpg  
Old 08-26-2019, 04:45 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Took nearly a gallon today. WallyWorld wanted ten bucks for a turkey baster. Alright alright, so call me old fashioned and really low-tech.... but nothing beats a timely reminder.
So nice to just be able to open that box and take care of the batteries ! No knees involved ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:52 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So easy for two people to pass one another inside because of the extra width...........
Old 08-26-2019, 07:00 PM   #27

Trailer: 2019 5 TA
If your batteries are only being charged by solar and charge controller not the converter and are never discharged below 75% do you still go thru lots of water?
Greg and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:23 AM   #28

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg and Kathy View Post
If your batteries are only being charged by solar and charge controller not the converter and are never discharged below 75% do you still go thru lots of water?

Your solar controller is more likely to cause water loss than your WFCO converter, as the WFCO will almost never generate voltages above 13.6V, whereas your solar controller often will, especially in Boost or Equalization mode. Because of this, solar will actually keep your batteries healthier. As long as you properly maintain the water levels.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:12 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
I just solved this problem by installing a pair of LifeLine AGM batteries. When I took the old batteries out of the battery box I was surprised to find a bit of water in the bottom and some black crystals. The old batteries didn't appear to be cracked, so my assumption is the water came either from condensation or from a wee bit of spillage as I used a turkey baster to refill batteries over the years. My further assumption is that the moisture reacted with the gas the batteries were emitting and that caused the crystals. You can see the crystals in the attached photo. I

As an aside, in the "nothing is ever going to be as easy as it seems" dept, I had to futz a bit with the positive wire to get it to reach to the new batteries positive terminal. I also had to buy a new 9" battery interconnect cable to reach from the positive terminal of battery 2 to the negative terminal of battery 1.

But, now I have new batteries, and my propane detector is hooked up, working, and not going off at inappropriate times.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8998.jpg  
Old 08-27-2019, 08:45 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Another solution is the Flow-Rite watering system. I'll be giving one away at the Niagara Wine Escape rally since I switched to lithium batteries, but it worked great with the 6V batteries. There is a second part at the link to Amazon's page - the pump is a separate item...
Jon-- When not in use, does the entire watering system including the pump remain stowed beneath the bench seat? And to fill the batteries you raise the bench seat and pour distilled water into one receptacle? I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing the gizmo in use.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:16 AM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
There is a "Quick Connect" (actually, not so quick) fitting that disconnects the pump & tubing from the battery end of the system. You can see what it looks like in the photos on the linked Amazon page.

To use, the tubing going into the pump dips into a gallon jug of distilled water, the pump squeezed until it doesn't squeeze anymore, then you disconnect from the battery end. I keep the pump & related tubing in a gallon freezer bag to keep it from leaking. In the case of the 21, I have the battery end of the disconnect fed to the optional rear passenger side hatch, and use the hatch to make the connection. The gallon jug sits on the ground outside the trailer.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:43 AM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Okay, thanks. I'll have to do it from the inside since I don't have that hatch, but that will still be better then accessing the batteries directly every time I need to check their fluid. I find that process unnerving, so it makes me postpone battery maintenance. That's how I shortened the life of my last set of batteries. A watering system should help.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:16 AM   #33

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Came home from work yesterday to hear the propane detector alarm chirping away. The propane had been turned off, but our batteries are in the front dinette bench, so there was likely some leakage of H2 gas from the battery box into the trailer. This is definitely not the first time this has happened. Just switched off the master battery cutoff switch and let it be for now. May have to vacuum dust from the propane sensor and improve the function of the seals on the lid of the battery box. The last time the alarm went off was a few weeks ago shortly after I topped off the water in the batteries.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 03:08 PM   #34

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Thought I would check my batteries on my new 2 week old 21C. That’s a job. Not anymore. Took out the starboard settee decking for the seating and reworked it to have an access lift out panel. Also if you think the bed framing is something else you should look at the settee framing. The decking holds the framing together. Anyway that portion is to my satisfaction. And the batteries needed water. Filled them to within 1/4” of lower part of filler neck, where it is suppose to be.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 03:27 PM   #35

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
All equipment knock on wood is working. Even rear camera. Thumbs up.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote