Battery Monitor Installation Question - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2017, 02:43 PM   #41

Trailer: 2023 21
Looks like the Morningstar goes out one more decimal place.
Traverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:54 PM   #42

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I opted to pay more (? $70.00--?) for Morningstar with the nice remote monitor. Also tells me what the solar input level is. Well worth it.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:18 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
6 volt battery capacity

I'm setting up a battery monitor. I need to put in the battery capacity. I see the nominal capacity for the two 6 volt battery bank is 225Ah. Is this capacity sufficient, or is there a more accurate one?
Old 12-29-2017, 05:40 AM   #44

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The GC2-HCL-UTL's are 210, the GC2-ECL-UTL's are 225 according to the Interstate site.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:06 AM   #45

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
A good source for custom cables (as well as other electrical supplies) is GenuineDealZ. They will provide what ever length & ends you want, well crimped & covered with heat shrink.

As to cable size, it depends on the the size of your inverter. I have a 1000 watt inverter & the specifications for the Xantrex ProWatt SW 1000 call for #0 wire. Oversized for the maximum current draw of the inverter (around 100 amps at full load) but the larger cable helps prevent the inverter from alarming or shutting down from low voltage due to drop over the wiring.
+1 on wire size to inverter. I had a real headache some time ago because even the slight voltage drop due to wire loss on wires seemingly more than big enough would cause the inverter to shut down due to low voltage every time it tried to start - unless the battery had just been topped up on a full charge, or my engine alternator was running. Took me a while to figure out what the devil was going on. Go big on inverter wire.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:10 PM   #46

Victron BMV 700 low voltage alarm

I just finished installing a Victron BMV700 battery monitor. When going through the setup I noticed there is a default alarm at 50% power use. There is also a low voltage alarm, but by default it is set to 0 volts.

Does anyone set their low voltage alarm and if so at what voltage?

Has anyone changed any of the other default settings (such as the fully charged parameters) to make it work better with the dual 6 volt batteries and the Escape converter?
Old 01-23-2018, 03:57 AM   #47

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I just finished installing a Victron BMV700 battery monitor. When going through the setup I noticed there is a default alarm at 50% power use. There is also a low voltage alarm, but by default it is set to 0 volts.

Does anyone set their low voltage alarm and if so at what voltage?

Has anyone changed any of the other default settings (such as the fully charged parameters) to make it work better with the dual 6 volt batteries and the Escape converter?
Here is a helpful guide that will answer your questions....
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
Old 01-23-2018, 06:31 AM   #48

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Mine's not a Victron but low voltage is set at 10v.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:54 PM   #49

Trailer: 2018 17a - now sold
May I please ask for input? Currently finishing up our build sheet for 17A and we are deciding on placement for the Zamp port (10 gauge) for 100-120 watt portable solar panels.
1. As the 2-6V batteries are on the rear bumper, should the port be on the driver's side?
2. As we will most likely be installing a Victron solar controller - is there also room for that in the bench seat compartment?
3. In addition, we are asking ETI to run the wiring for a Victron battery monitor (BMV 700) and I realize that the shunt needs to be located near the battery, so is the best location for the shunt in this same compartment?
I have learned a great deal from everyone's advice on many topics here, the forum is a great resource.
dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:28 PM   #50

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanEdie View Post
+1 on wire size to inverter. I had a real headache some time ago because even the slight voltage drop due to wire loss on wires seemingly more than big enough would cause the inverter to shut down due to low voltage every time it tried to start - unless the battery had just been topped up on a full charge, or my engine alternator was running. Took me a while to figure out what the devil was going on. Go big on inverter wire.
Plus another one on the wire size. Voltage drop to the inverter can be a real pain - I had a similar issue, an inverter which refused to work, I thought because of a faulty inverter. Turned out in my case that the voltage drop causing the issue was tired batteries, not wire size, but same result. Bottom line is, keep the inverter close to the batteries, use large wire, and in the longer run keep the connections clean and tight.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:44 PM   #51

Battery Monitor Limitation Article

Here is a great article on the limitations of a battery monitor. It is written from a sail boat perspective, but applies to those who boondock. "Keeping your Battery Monitor More Accurate"
Old 03-08-2018, 08:12 PM   #52

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Here is a great article on the limitations of a battery monitor. It is written from a sail boat perspective, but applies to those who boondock. "Keeping your Battery Monitor More Accurate"
This looks like a great article. I've thought about the problem of how to handle the actual battery capacity in a battery monitor. Fortunately, someone else has done the work for us.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:27 PM   #53

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Richard Thankyou even though I don't understand what I read ,and my head hurts . I installed the Victron 700 and am in the process of installing their solar charger and solar. I bookmarked article and will keep reading . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:06 PM   #54

Since reading the "Keeping Your Battery Monitor More Accurate" article, I changed the tail current for my Victron BMV 700 from 4% to 1%. I am also thinking of changing the Charged Detection Time (time which the monitor must see the 100% charge parameters met) from 3 to 15 minutes. And reducing my battery amp-hours from 225 to 200.

I charge with a generator through a BestConverters Wildcat converter and my concern is that the Victron will be set to 100% charged too early and assume there is more battery capacity than I really have.

I would like to hear what others are doing.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:48 PM   #55

Quote:
Since reading the "Keeping Your Battery Monitor More Accurate" article, I changed the tail current for my Victron BMV 700 from 4% to 1%. I am also thinking of changing the Charged Detection Time (time which the monitor must see the 100% charge parameters met) from 3 to 15 minutes. And reducing my battery amp-hours from 225 to 200.

I charge with a generator through a BestConverters Wildcat converter and my concern is that the Victron will be set to 100% charged too early and assume there is more battery capacity than I really have.

I would like to hear what others are doing.
When I installed I got advice from Bay Marine and set ours to 190 . Our batteries are now about 4 1/2 years old . It's about 1 to 1 1/2 since since I put monitor in . I don't use the charger in trailer but a battery tender that goes through all the phases . I will unhook that charger and let it rest and check the water level this weekend . I am getting help from Bay Marine with the solar and ask him what he thinks I should go down too . Batteries will be 5 years in Nov. makes sense that is what should be done . Like I said need to digest the article too. Pat
Old 03-09-2018, 12:14 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
When I installed I got advice from Bay Marine and set ours to 190 . Our batteries are now about 4 1/2 years old . It's about 1 to 1 1/2 since since I put monitor in . I don't use the charger in trailer but a battery tender that goes through all the phases . I will unhook that charger and let it rest and check the water level this weekend . I am getting help from Bay Marine with the solar and ask him what he thinks I should go down too . Batteries will be 5 years in Nov. makes sense that is what should be done . Like I said need to digest the article too. Pat
Richard I am remembering our conversation . Ideally when I installed battery monitor it would have been with new batteries . But since ours were about 3 years old Bay Marine suggested to set at 190 for the 2 6 volts instead because they weren't new . Pat
Old 03-09-2018, 07:25 AM   #57

I was just looking again at the articles Cycling Up to Rated Capacity curve. It looks like that battery took about 300 cycles to get to full capacity and then capacity started dropping off again at 450 cycles. It also appears to be above 95% from about 100 cycles to almost 600 cycles. Our trailer and battery are about 7 months old. Since we spend most of our time connected to shore power, I suspect we are still under the 100 cycles.