Bent propane quick connect - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2016, 04:59 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

It looks like a tidy setup, but you need to be willing to use hose over a barb with a clamp, which is normal Euro practice but definitely part of your 'not CSA-spec' issue.
I would have a propane shop, or a Fairview Fittings, do a crump fitting, rather than use a house clamp.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:00 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I would have a propane shop, or a Fairview Fittings, do a [crimp] fitting, rather than use a [hose] clamp.
Let us know if this works out - and I hope it does - but I don't think that will be possible. I'm guessing that the tail connector's hose barb (or "ribbed spigot") is an integral part of the connector, and I doubt anyone here will crimp a hose onto that; if the barb can be removed, what adapter will fit? If crimping hose onto it, it should be 8 mm hose; 5/16" hose might work if you can find it, but what about the other end which will expect 1/4" hose?

I had a custom propane hose assembly built quite a while ago, but in recent years I haven't been able to find anyone to make one at all - each potential supplier directs me to another company, which also won't make them for propane. High-pressure hydraulic - sure.

There's also the 8 mm inlet tubing. It may be interchangeable with 5/16" (although the compression fitting might be less tolerant of diameter variance than the flare used here), but even that means a 5/16" to 3/8" union would be needed. Maybe you could use 8 mm hydraulic line and flare it for the union end.

According to the sign on their door, Fairview in Edmonton won't even deal with retail customers to sell them propane fittings, let alone do custom assembly.

Edit: the user instructions say to attach the appliance hose with "swage or crimp clips", rather than a hose clamp, but I still think you're doing this yourself.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:44 PM   #13

Trailer: pondering.....
Jim...what is pic #3 the underside of?
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
Jim...what is pic #3 the underside of?
No idea, I just came across these a while back when browsing for ideas.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-08-2016, 10:27 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape born Dec 28, 2016, Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
A few ideas I have seen to protect the QC seem like a good retrofit to do, and could be adapted to fit on an Escape. My favourite is the second option.

Yea the second option does look good.
Looks to me to just be a hunk of sturdy L metal bolted to the frame to be a shield?
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:10 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Yea the second option does look good.
Looks to me to just be a hunk of sturdy L metal bolted to the frame to be a shield?
Yes, but how would you attach it? That trailer has an I-beam frame, which is not the same as the Escape's tubing. It can certainly be done properly, but I wouldn't want to compromise the integrity of the frame just to attach a bracket, so some planning is required.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:30 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Only recall this one post with it being bent by something with all the miles on Escapes with a QC. I don't recall ever running across a post on this issue on stickie forums, but I'm sure there are some. It seems that occurrences of this particular issue seem statistically pretty slim.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes, but how would you attach it? That trailer has an I-beam frame, which is not the same as the Escape's tubing. It can certainly be done properly, but I wouldn't want to compromise the integrity of the frame just to attach a bracket, so some planning is required.
Something attached with small tapped and threaded bolts, or properly welded on would work without affecting the frame.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:11 AM   #19

Trailer: 5.0 TA June 2016
Brian B-P, I went to the Edmonton Fairview shop on Tuesday to get pieces to convert my appliances to quick connect (picking up 5.0 next week) and even though the sign on the front door made me wonder if I could pick up the parts retail, I went around back to the warehouse, as the sign suggested, and I got great service, advice and all the parts I needed, which I couldn't get in Rocky Mountain House.
jrallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:21 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrallen View Post
Brian B-P, I went to the Edmonton Fairview shop on Tuesday to get pieces to convert my appliances to quick connect (picking up 5.0 next week) and even though the sign on the front door made me wonder if I could pick up the parts retail, I went around back to the warehouse, as the sign suggested, and I got great service, advice and all the parts I needed, which I couldn't get in Rocky Mountain House.
I too have always got good service from Fairview Fittings here in Calgary. When I bought my Dickinson Spitfire, the girl there said I could get any fittings I needed to connect it to the trailer from Fairview Fittings in Burnaby. It was when I went to their site I realized they were in Calgary too.