Black Tank Cleaning Tip for Newbies Like Me - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2014, 11:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 19'
Black Tank Cleaning Tip for Newbies Like Me

Never had a trailer before. Got the starter kit to have all the useful starter things, including the wand to clean out the black tank. First time I used the wand, "water" sprayed up from the tank, up out of the toilet, up into the air, only stopping when it hit my face

Deciding I didn't want the black tank face wash again, I took an empty gallon jug of milk, cut out the bottom, inserted the black tank wand through the top of the milk jug and used a little tape to keep the jug in place. Creating a little umbrella to keep any back spray contained. Very low tech, but now I can have high pressure coming out of the wand, rotate it back/forth and up/down, give the tank a good rinse, and stay dry while I'm doing it.

This system has worked great. It's kind of silly, but I feel very satisfied when I give the black tank a good rinse.

Just putting up this post, in case any other newbies read it and can avoid the black tank face wash.
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
And I thought it was just me...
Old 08-31-2014, 11:23 PM   #3

And me....
Dog as Navigator
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Having had a facial myself, I'm going to try that next time.
The alternative is to just open the trap and shine a flashlight down to check the level, so you don't have to worry about clean sensors.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
And me....
We could form a group, like the California Escapees.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Jamie, I would guess that very few use the wand when dumping tanks except once in a while. Anyone doing that every time?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:16 AM   #7

I've done it two or three times in six years.
Most times I'm dumping I'm at a sani-station and others wouldn't appreciate waiting for me to sanitize my tank, and there is no tap to connect the wand to in any event.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:06 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
Never had a trailer before. Got the starter kit to have all the useful starter things, including the wand to clean out the black tank. First time I used the wand, "water" sprayed up from the tank, up out of the toilet, up into the air, only stopping when it hit my face

Deciding I didn't want the black tank face wash again, I took an empty gallon jug of milk, cut out the bottom, inserted the black tank wand through the top of the milk jug and used a little tape to keep the jug in place. Creating a little umbrella to keep any back spray contained. Very low tech, but now I can have high pressure coming out of the wand, rotate it back/forth and up/down, give the tank a good rinse, and stay dry while I'm doing it.

This system has worked great. It's kind of silly, but I feel very satisfied when I give the black tank a good rinse.

Just putting up this post, in case any other newbies read it and can avoid the black tank face wash.
Good Stuff Jamie,

I think you should patent your device

When we brought our trailer home, I tested all things including the wand. I tried it first just connected to the water hose... Whoa, I think I blasted a couple of branches off a nearby Douglas Fir tree. Maybe whacked a bird or two

Then, because the tanks hadn't been used yet, inserted it into the black tank & tried the same... Double Whoa... Are you kidding me

Here is what I do... the 5.0 TA has a 30 gal. Black tank, so I make sure that there is a least 15 gal. of fluid in the tank before dumping. We always flush one bowl full of fresh water (approx. 2 litres or 1/2 US gal) after the normal bowel waste flush. Keep in mind, that a 30 gal. tank allows for 60 full bowl flushes before reaching capacity. That allows for a lot of "wiggle" room even with the best of "Montezuma's Revenge"

Then after flushing and prepared for travelling, we dump 10 bowl fulls (20 litres or 5 US gals) of fresh water c/w a couple of "glugs" of chemical into the tank. We find that the travelling rinses the tank nicely & provides a base for the next use... even if one has to use the "toytie" on the road No smells either

But again Jamie, thank you, because I will use your "design" when I winterize the Black tank using the "explosive" wand

HAVE A GREAT DAY...
Larry
Stargeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:47 AM   #9

Well, if we're going to go there..
Before I use the facility, I add maybe a cup of water to the bowl and then I lay down some TP.
Helps prevent skid marks.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:44 AM   #10

Trailer: 2021 Pleasure Way OnTour 2.0
Thumbs up

This is a great thread for newbies. We pick up Sept 30. I know I would be trying everything in the first few days so this has saved me from the black tank facial. I can't thank you enough.
Mob2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:20 AM   #11

Hey,
You all aren't supposed to tell damn it that is a right of passage. Lol Well I did not get a facial as I have washed out tanks of various types before. I cut a small hole in a 3 gallon bucket lid and put the want through it and added a small ball valve to the wand to slow the out flow till I was ready. Now does that mean I did not get wet ......lol no.. I did not have the lid all the way down on the top of the toilet as I did not think the wand had that much power... Hence the ball valve now lol pant legs wet but no facial oh and yea had to sanitize the whole bathroom then sigh....

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:50 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I think I'm glad we got ours before Reace started supplying that wand!

When we had the Scamp, I cobbled together an adapter that worked. I used it once. I found a black tank additive that, so far, seems to keep the contacts clean - at least all the lights (usually) go out after dumping the tanks. They are off only until the first piece of toilet paper gets in. I think wet TP has a magical ability to cling precisely to a contact with the first flush. I still think the turn off the pump and take a look inside method as the only reliable black tank gauge.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:55 AM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Well, if we're going to go there..
Before I use the facility, I add maybe a cup of water to the bowl and then I lay down some TP.
Helps prevent skid marks.

We keep a spray bottle full of water with the nozzle set to "stream" in the bathroom for such "spot" cleaning.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:42 AM   #14

Trailer: 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Jamie, I would guess that very few use the wand when dumping tanks except once in a while. Anyone doing that every time?
I try to do it every time I dump!

A couple times I've dumped at spots with no hose connection, so it wasn't possible to use the wand. Nor would I want to do it if there was a big line up behind me.
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:56 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I added a tank flush system to each tank. Still can't use it if there are no hose hookups at the dump station, but it does a great job (with no face splashing) when there is a water source.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #16

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargeezer View Post
Here is what I do... the 5.0 TA has a 30 gal. Black tank. We always flush one bowl full of fresh water (approx. 2 litres or 1/2 US gal) after the normal bowl waste flush. Keep in mind, that a 30 gal. tank allows for 60 full bowl flushes before reaching capacity.
Good job. I never thought to count how many flushes it takes to max out the black tank. How can one tell how big their black tank is without measuring? I've got a 2007(8) 17b.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:05 AM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I wonder if it's changed since 2007?

Complete Bathroom (Plan B)
  • Interior Shower Pkg.
    (6 Gal DSI H/W tank, 26 gal grey tank, 19 gal black tank, full fiberglass shower insert, sink with hand-held shower unit & holding tank monitor panel)
  • Ceiling Vent
  • Thetford Aqua Magic 5 Toilet
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:15 AM   #18

So...if you're correct Donna D. I'm good for 38 flushes!! Whahoo! :

I may get a dry marker for the bathroom to keep an accurate count.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:17 AM   #19

Well...the black tank is, but are you?
Old 09-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Well...the black tank is, but are you?
We'll have to see. I'll keep you posted gbaglo!!